hulika

Author Topic: jazz guitarists like matt otten  (Read 2211 times)

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
jazz guitarists like matt otten
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
hello guys. i'm now getting into jazz (formally at last).. i'm really digging matt otten from youtube. are there other guys that play like him? i dont have an idea on who's who in jazz, except for some (miles davis, john coltrane, george benson, pat metheny, scofield, carlton, etc.) can you name smooth jazz guitarists that has the same dynamics/playing style as matt otten? i really dig his music.thing is, nothing's available for download (unless i pay)..so yeah, that's why i'm looking for others who are similar to him technique/skill-wise who have more audio resources i can listen and play with. thanks guys :D

i'm sorry if this has been taken up before. :D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: jazz guitarists like matt otten
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
Matt's not really a smooth jazz guy by practice. He's into stuff like Wes and John Scofield. Check out his youtube channel for his influences and you'll find he can be very similar to them at times. Check out Pat Metheny too.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
hello guys. i'm now getting into jazz (formally at last).. i'm really digging matt otten from youtube. are there other guys that play like him? i dont have an idea on who's who in jazz, except for some (miles davis, john coltrane, george benson, pat metheny, scofield, carlton, etc.) can you name smooth jazz guitarists that has the same dynamics/playing style as matt otten? i really dig his music.thing is, nothing's available for download (unless i pay)..so yeah, that's why i'm looking for others who are similar to him technique/skill-wise who have more audio resources i can listen and play with. thanks guys :D

i'm sorry if this has been taken up before. :D

I'm also a subscriber of his - you might also want to check out dutchbopper. He's into, well, bebop music. He also has some nice blues tunes. :)

However, if you're really learning to play jazz guitar, you may want to also listen to jazz pianist, they can really give you a good idea on harmony. I'm a subscriber to jazz2511, he teaches in his videos (piano), but gives interesting ideas on some theories. But of course, you can't miss out on the likes of Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and the likes. :)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »
If this guy comes to the Visayas and play he is going to be really famous.......if you are bisaya you know what I mean.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

william251082

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 06:15:13 AM »
If this guy comes to the Visayas and play he is going to be really famous.......if you are bisaya you know what I mean.
Dili man ako bisaya pero I know what you mean ahhahahaLOL :-D

Mike uten

Offline neiloid

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
Dili man ako bisaya pero I know what you mean ahhahahaLOL :-D

Mike uten

:lol: