hulika

Author Topic: Where can I find a word clock cable?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline bassman88

Where can I find a word clock cable?
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
Been going everywhere: Audiophile, Music Source, InTune, Avesco.

I don't know who else to ask. Please help!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Where can I find a word clock cable?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »
AFAIK, word clock uses 75-ohm coaxial cables similar to those used by cable tv. The only difference is that they design word clock cables to tighter tolerances and use better materials in order to minimize jitter.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bassman88

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Thanks sir Kit, I did some research and found out that word clock cables use RG59 coaxials, and BNC plugs, I might just customize my own.

Cable TV cables use RG6, i'm gonna try it anyway to see if it works.

Thanks again!

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
I buy word clock cables online from Sweeywater.

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:33 PM »
Thanks sir Kit, I did some research and found out that word clock cables use RG59 coaxials, and BNC plugs, I might just customize my own.

Cable TV cables use RG6, i'm gonna try it anyway to see if it works.

Thanks again!

RG-6 for MAIN LINES... Drop lines to homes are RG-59. If you plan to DIY, buy the Belden para malambot.... yung iba kasi makunat...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline bassman88

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
thanks guys. Bought my BNC plugs/RG59 cable at DIY, really cheap compared to international online stores. Cost me around 80 pesos (1 meter rg59 cable + 2 BNC plugs).

Didn't catch the Belden cable suggestion. I ended up buying the "makunat" one.

Still WAY cheaper than buying word clock cables in eBay or Sweetwater. They sell 1 ft monster and other branded WC cables for $20-30 (approx Php 1,+++)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »
that is still way cheap.. got my WC cable for 100$ :-o.. i just can't compromise the timing on the converters.. after connecting the Motu HD 193  to the Rosetta 200 the difference was day and night.! the stereo imaging and clarity was improved so with the timing issues on the click.
BTW thanks to Rakrakan for the tip..
Music is art in sound...

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:20 AM »
that is still way cheap.. got my WC cable for 100$ :-o.. i just can't compromise the timing on the converters.. after connecting the Motu HD 193  to the Rosetta 200 the difference was day and night.! the stereo imaging and clarity was improved so with the timing issues on the click.
BTW thanks to Rakrakan for the tip..

True, at that level of pro audio equipment, every link in the chain will make for a subtle yet huge difference in quality. Clocking between devices is very very sensitive - I've tried DIY before, then el cheapo, then finally settled on Apogees. Baldo man, you've definitely gone to the level of gear slutz. But I'll wait til you hok up a Big Ben to your system, could be another night and day moment for you.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
Gerry.. I HOPE  to get that Big Ben or the one made by Lucid ( Gen X 192) or Antelope (Isochrone DA or OCX) one day but i am tempted to go Vista 64 and upgrade to 8 Gigs hehehhe.. my assembled Quad core is not maximized by using the XP pro. On the other hand, the plugins  and ad/da driver is a pain to deal with..choices choices..  :x
just spent several hours trying to make everything work in the Nuendo  3 environment, Failure still.. will bring it all back to XP tomorrow... Nuendo 4 is a good option but those damn drivers drive me crazy plus i will be needing a new mastering software..GAS again? i will leave it to the artist/producer to think about hehehe..
Music is art in sound...

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:19 AM »
kaya XP na lang ako eh...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua