hulika

Author Topic: what's the difference between a 6000-peso and a 1700-peso mic?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus

shure sm57 vs samson qtom. which is which?

snare #1
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7887693

snare #2
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7887692

both files are raw and unprocessed

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
Re: what's the difference between a 6000-peso and a 1700-peso mic?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
I like the first one mainly because i thought it picked up lesser ambient noise plus the beat sounded clearer and more defined to me.

Well, I'm no audiophile; at least I fueled this thread to get running. :)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
oh yeah, nakabukas yung bentilador nung nirecord ko yung clips

ano sa palagay mo yung ginamit kong mic sa first clip?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
halos walang difference using my home speakers.  but i prefer the first clip better, like he said mas malinaw.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jcv

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »
Snare 2 = Samson?

I think it's the vibration of the clamp i'm hearing.. yeah final answer. lol

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »
Snare 2 = Samson?

I think it's the vibration of the clamp i'm hearing.. yeah final answer. lol

tumpak!!! dead give away talaga yung clamp. madali naman alisin yung built in mic clip nung samson at palitan ng regular mic clip.

halos walang difference using my home speakers.  but i prefer the first clip better, like he said mas malinaw.

exactly, minor eq lang pwede na silang maging magkatunog. tutal mag eq ka rin naman to make the track fit into the mix so any minor differences will be negligible.

kaya para sa mga home recording enthusiasts, sulit na yung samson. tutal di rin naman kailangan yung sturdiness ng sm57 dahil hindi mo naman ibabato yung mic at ikaw lang din mag-iingat sa sarili mong gamit  :wink:

itatabi ko na lang para sa guitar amp yung sm57 hehehe

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
tumpak!!! dead give away talaga yung clamp. madali naman alisin yung built in mic clip nung samson at palitan ng regular mic clip.

exactly, minor eq lang pwede na silang maging magkatunog. tutal mag eq ka rin naman to make the track fit into the mix so any minor differences will be negligible.

kaya para sa mga home recording enthusiasts, sulit na yung samson. tutal di rin naman kailangan yung sturdiness ng sm57 dahil hindi mo naman ibabato yung mic at ikaw lang din mag-iingat sa sarili mong gamit  :wink:

itatabi ko na lang para sa guitar amp yung sm57 hehehe
i  replied last night pero di na-post. my reply was correct. Snare 2 is Samson. And there is something like " key of B4 " after the snare sound... yung parang harmonic bah...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Mas malinaw nga kasi the mic is not mounted directly from the rim of the snare.... unlike the samson... miking techniques are a great help..
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:15 AM »
U87 vs ADK Hamburg
Royer R-121 vs.  Cascade Fat Head II

The battle of expensive vs. cheap lives on and frankly, I'd go for cheap mics and feed my 'other' GAS issues.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:11:14 AM »
1st clip sounded clearer and more pronounced to me. :-)

Pero halos wala ngang difference lalo na through home systems. Although this little diff will, more often than not, matter later during the mixing stage. (i.e. sa "gaining" mixing stage pag nagbboost/cut ka na ng frequencies since magiging mas apparent na ang harmonic/freq deviation nila sa isat-isa) :-)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

MrActionFingers

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
Using my extensive knowledge and recording expertise I will get real technical on this one. The answer to you question is....  4300 Pesos  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
Using my extensive knowledge and recording expertise I will get real technical on this one. The answer to you question is....  4300 Pesos  :-D

This is the most accurate,most precise most objective observation I have seen thus far  :mrgreen: :-D

Y'know for several songs of pusakal, I recorded their amp using the standard sm57 method y'know...then for the last one I thought I should do something different and used one of the upgraded mikes in my drum kit. I liked the latter.

But sige, don't take my word for it, I'll post my own clips :-D vs an SM57 din. :-D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
1st clip sounded clearer and more pronounced to me. :-)

Pero halos wala ngang difference lalo na through home systems. Although this little diff will, more often than not, matter later during the mixing stage. (i.e. sa "gaining" mixing stage pag nagbboost/cut ka na ng frequencies since magiging mas apparent na ang harmonic/freq deviation nila sa isat-isa) :-)

i agree mark.  also the slight difference cannot truly be quantified,  but if you ask me clip 1 sounds more three dimensional.  this difference will later enhance the mix in ways that no amount of eq'ing can achieve.  :)  it is my opinion that if you pile up these slight differences, the resulting effect will greatly contribute to the overall quality, especially the 3 dimensionality of a mix.   

it would also be wise, since the 57 is a great all aroud mic, to test the samson on different sources such as guitar cabs, vocals, etc. maybe the rub would be more apparent this way, and might justify the extra cost.  :) 

but for home recording use,  by all means, go for the samson.  getting used to a certain brand and model of equipment is the best way to judge its quality against another.  pag nasanay na kasi tenga mo sa isang tunog, it might be easier to point out the difference right off the bat ... especially the differences in clarity and imaging, which usually, are those that are difficult to qualify :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
i agree samson sounds really close to the sm57. but if you use better preamps you will hear the difference.  :-D

but still kung home recording lang naman, pwede na ung samson. its not like everyone can afford a professional studio.
Regards,
IraJames

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
i agree mark.  also the slight difference cannot truly be quantified,  but if you ask me clip 1 sounds more three dimensional.  this difference will later enhance the mix in ways that no amount of eq'ing can achieve.  :)  it is my opinion that if you pile up these slight differences, the resulting effect will greatly contribute to the overall quality, especially the 3 dimensionality of a mix.   

it would also be wise, since the 57 is a great all aroud mic, to test the samson on different sources such as guitar cabs, vocals, etc. maybe the rub would be more apparent this way, and might justify the extra cost.  :) 

but for home recording use,  by all means, go for the samson.  getting used to a certain brand and model of equipment is the best way to judge its quality against another.  pag nasanay na kasi tenga mo sa isang tunog, it might be easier to point out the difference right off the bat ... especially the differences in clarity and imaging, which usually, are those that are difficult to qualify :)

Ditto! :-)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »

Cool.

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
What model is this samson mic, by the way?

Offline mbelez

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:01 PM »
sir baka may comparison ka din ng samson q kick vs. other kick drum mics :-)
follow the light..............

glowstick

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »
the difference is when the mic is experiencing higher sound pressure level, the inability of the mic to cope with it produces distortion (which exhibits as "garalgal").  The sm57 is a standout on this matter.  For the same reason sm58 had a good reputation because it handles high spl audio very well and comes out clean. 

LouieAzcona

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
napakaliit ng pagkakaiba... mas "in your face" ung una... pero napakaliit lang. Oonga... extra 4k plus para sa maliit na advantage. Oh mahina lang talaga ako magapreciate. ewan.

glowstick

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 01:46:51 PM »
sometimes its the little things that make a big difference in pricing.. :-D

Offline s2ry0fdyr

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
i thought  cheap mics sound crappy!

:?

glowstick

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
i thought  cheap mics sound crappy!

:?

yes they do under certain circumstances. :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
Sir Shinji, can you mind to post that U87 / Scalarized B1 / ADK Hamburg A/B/C test we had a couple of years back in your studio?  Blind ha...  Thanks.

glowstick

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »
Sir Shinji, can you mind to post that U87 / Scalarized B1 / ADK Hamburg A/B/C test we had a couple of years back in your studio?  Blind ha...  Thanks.

ayos yan pag naipost.....sana may iba pang mics like blue bottle