hulika

Author Topic: Uso pa ba ang mga bandang "nadidiscover"?  (Read 13489 times)

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Uso pa ba ang mga bandang "nadidiscover"?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:21 AM »
Hahaha 2 things: to increase posts (i have just gone out of being a regular member just last week :-D) and to establish recall with the name of my band. See it already worked! You remembered that the band Penguin627 was being spammed all over the forums! hehehe :-D

spamming is not good, its actually negative marketing for a band. you will get banned for spamming in philmusic :wink:

How? I don't know how exactly but in the words of the great Eric Clapton - "Lately I've been running on faith. What else can a poor boy do?"

But once it happens though, i'll be sure to let ya'll know how i did it. Stay tuned. :wink:

faith is good, everyone has faith on something in one way or another.

but faith alone does not put food on the table, so to speak.

:wink:
This is a forum siggy.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »
spamming is not good, its actually negative marketing for a band. you will get banned for spamming in philmusic :wink:

faith is good, everyone has faith on something in one way or another.

but faith alone does not put food on the table, so to speak.

:wink:

True indeed. Spamming IS a negatory. But i did put my posts in acceptable forums. Somebody posted, ALL ABOUT POP PUNK, and i posted my band's sched there seeing as we are pop punk. I put the gig sched as well in the gig announcements, seeing as what we had to post was out gig sched. When I posted in the rock forums, i added the gig sched a request for people to leave comments about what they think of the band after they've seen us at gigs or videos which is basically what people have been doing in the Rock Forum. You have people talking about Urbandub, Faspitch etc and they too post gigs of the band that they've heard of. Why can't we get people talking about Penguin627 in the rock forums as well.

In my opinion though, we weren't spamming. It's not as if we also posted in the Jazz forums or classifieds forums (i was guilty of this before and have learned my lesson) that is why i only post in the relevant forums.

But if what I have done, even though i feel that i did post in RELEVANT forums, is still considered by a Moderator as spamming in Philmusic, then fear not as i will once again reconsider my definition of spamming in Philmu and apply necessary corrections. :-)

True Indeed. Faith will not put food on the table and even God agrees. It's the same in religion i guess. God will make the food grow but you can't expect him to harvest, process, and spoonfeed you with it. So i guess i need to supplement what i said:

"Nasa Diyos and awa, nasa tao ang gawa" :-D

If you're going to ask ano yung gagawin ko...I don't know yet, but like i said, i'll keep you posted so stay tuned. :wink:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:44:41 PM by kornbip99 »

Offline spunky

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
True indeed. Spamming IS a negatory. But i did put my posts in acceptable forums. Somebody posted, ALL ABOUT POP PUNK, and i posted my band's sched there seeing as we are pop punk. I put the gig sched as well in the gig announcements, seeing as what we had to post was out gig sched. When I posted in the rock forums, i added the gig sched a request for people to leave comments about what they think of the band after they've seen us at gigs or videos which is basically what people have been doing in the Rock Forum. You have people talking about Urbandub, Faspitch etc and they too post gigs of the band that they've heard of. Why can't we get people talking about Penguin627 in the rock forums as well.

In my opinion though, we weren't spamming. It's not as if we also posted in the Jazz forums or classifieds forums (i was guilty of this before and have learned my lesson) that is why i only post in the relevant forums.

But if what I have done, even though i feel that i did post in RELEVANT forums, is still considered by a Moderator as spamming in Philmusic, then fear not as i will once again reconsider my definition of spamming in Philmu and apply necessary corrections. :-)

True Indeed. Faith will not put food on the table and even God agrees. It's the same in religion i guess. God will make the food grow but you can't expect him to harvest, process, and spoonfeed you with it. So i guess i need to supplement what i said:

If you're going to ask ano yung gagawin ko...I don't know yet, but like i said, i'll keep you posted so stay tuned. :wink:

ako yown!. hahahaha :-D ge un Lang. hehe

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »
 :evil: :roll: :evil: :roll: :wink: :wink:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:38:48 AM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »

Kabanda mo pala si Pao.  :)

Since Pao is one of my dear colleagues and I like his attitude towards everyone, I'll lend you an ear. 

I need to hear your demos and maybe I can help you out. 

PS  Spamming is NOT good.  There was this band named Hammilan who got punned as SPAMMILAN and things did not turn out right, and to my surprise, their music was not all that impressive.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Kabanda mo pala si Pao.  :)

Since Pao is one of my dear colleagues and I like his attitude towards everyone, I'll lend you an ear. 

I need to hear your demos and maybe I can help you out. 

PS  Spamming is NOT good.  There was this band named Hammilan who got punned as SPAMMILAN and things did not turn out right, and to my surprise, their music was not all that impressive.

Excellent! Sure thing! we'll be recording our first song this October 10. We'll upload it to the net once it's done.

Ei, maybe this is one of the breaks i was telling everyone about in this thread and you're the one to "discover" us. hehehe you never know. :wink:

PS Like i said, spamming IS indeed a negatory. Good thing we're not doing it.  :-)

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
for a band to hunger for recognition and fame requires work.

being in a band is a great feeling. masaya. sobrang liberating. walang rules e. no problem....pero minsan we have to be critics of our own. mahirap ibahin yung flow ng local maintream. we have to play the game. iv got a lot of respect to underground bands whos been around for a long time, making a rep and just continue making music as indie artists.

most successful mainstream bands NOW have members coming from successful bands from the PAST. (BAMBOO,KAPATID,KJWAN,SINOSIKAT? & all RAIMUND MARASIGAN BANDS)

for the younger generation of bands, the easiest way to fame is becoming an local version of a certain SUCCESSFUL international artist....OR...play a genre that appeals to the masses.

and being recording artists doesnt mean the end of your day job. napaka fast paced ngayon.i know some very talented people coming from successful bands who still have regular jobs sa umaga. kung gusto mo puro gig lng ang ginagawa mo...you gotta be a well rounded sessionist ,play at weddings or be in a variety band that has regular gigs playing requests.

reality check lang. pero being idealistic about it, it doesnt hurt to dream that someday we could live like  rockstars in our own tiny country.....JAPANESE bands does it. why cant we ?  :-D

kaya ang masasabi ko lang........swerte pag sumikat ka habang studyante palang.

dahil sikat ka na sa klase mo, daming chicks (sa opisina limitado na e,tsaka karamihan gusto dretso kasalan na) wala ka pang proproblemahing sick leave.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:38:15 AM by jazzhole04 »
life is like a $H!T sandwich. the more BREAD ya got...the less $H!T ya eat

visit our site: http://flickerfusion.multiply.com/ watch our video:

Offline killerbutete

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
Iba na kasi nangyayari nayon, palakasan na ng kapit  :oops:

Bihira na lang yung talagang sumisikat na mahusay talagang magsulat.

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 11:19:11 AM »
for a band to hunger for recognition and fame requires work.

being in a band is a great feeling. masaya. sobrang liberating. walang rules e. no problem....pero minsan we have to be critics of our own. mahirap ibahin yung flow ng local maintream. we have to play the game. iv got a lot of respect to underground bands whos been around for a long time, making a rep and just continue making music as indie artists.

most successful mainstream bands NOW have members coming from successful bands from the PAST. (BAMBOO,KAPATID,KJWAN,SINOSIKAT? & all RAIMUND MARASIGAN BANDS)

for the younger generation of bands, the easiest way to fame is becoming an local version of a certain SUCCESSFUL international artist....OR...play a genre that appeals to the masses.

and being recording artists doesnt mean the end of your day job. napaka fast paced ngayon.i know some very talented people coming from successful bands who still have regular jobs sa umaga. kung gusto mo puro gig lng ang ginagawa mo...you gotta be a well rounded sessionist ,play at weddings or be in a variety band that has regular gigs playing requests.

reality check lang. pero being idealistic about it, it doesnt hurt to dream that someday we could live like  rockstars in our own tiny country.....JAPANESE bands does it. why cant we ?  :-D

kaya ang masasabi ko lang........swerte pag sumikat ka habang studyante palang.

dahil sikat ka na sa klase mo, daming chicks (sa opisina limitado na e,tsaka karamihan gusto dretso kasalan na) wala ka pang proproblemahing sick leave
.  :mrgreen:

True indeed.  :-D kaso hindi nakayanan eh. hehehe

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
True indeed.  :-D kaso hindi nakayanan eh. hehehe

kaya if ever one day sumikat ako....mag aaral ulit ako...HAHA!  :lol:

ok lng mag absent ng mag absent. sayang chicks e.

Offline kevinyu[1]

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:42 AM »
i think hindi na talaga uso yan, record labels make sure that they really earn money, so pipili talaga ng mga already famous na band

11 solos, meron ba ang mga papogi at pacute na banda niyan?

Offline rakenrol

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »

OT: Penguin627's Arnold "the_Nong" Guyjoco is a good friend of mine. even though I've never been to their gigs (since i live in Laguna), I've already listened to their music (demo). i think that it's brilliant! i love the way they sound!

pero as for being at the main stream, mahirap makarating dun. take Sugarfree as for example. kung alam nyo lang yung history nila bago sila nakarating sa mainstream act, masasabi nyong "ganito pala talaga kahirap"... maraming ups and downs. lefts and rights pa minsan...

sa panahon ngayon, one in a million na lang na sumikat ka at kumita ka ng malaki.. IMO...

Offline jazzhole04

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »
sa panahon ngayon, one in a million na lang na sumikat ka at kumita ka ng malaki.. IMO...

true.

pero shempre lets not discourage each other and feel bad about the facts and continue the dream. reality check? yeah true. pero sometimes its the dream that drives people to continue what they're doing.

i love indie bands' music as much as i like bands who've made it to the top.

kaibigan ko din yan si nong. opismeyt ko yan e :-D

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 10:07:18 PM »
it's not what you know, it's whom you know.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline rakenrol

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
true.

pero shempre lets not discourage each other and feel bad about the facts and continue the dream. reality check? yeah true. pero sometimes its the dream that drives people to continue what they're doing.

i love indie bands' music as much as i like bands who've made it to the top.

kaibigan ko din yan si nong. opismeyt ko yan e :-D

i agree sir jazz hole. i don't discourage those people who wants to live their dream and passion pero wag lang sana makalimutan ang pagiging praktikal. they could have a band while having stable jobs/sidelines..  i admire people who does that. :-D  kumbaga, kanya kanya ng diskarte at desisyon para marating ang gustong marating...

Offline rednas

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

i agree sir jazz hole. i don't discourage those people who wants to live their dream and passion pero wag lang sana makalimutan ang pagiging praktikal. they could have a band while having stable jobs/sidelines..  i admire people who does that. :-D  kumbaga, kanya kanya ng diskarte at desisyon para marating ang gustong marating...

Mahirap nga lang, laging napapabayaan ang music... work gets in the way  :lol: Medyo OT: I always thought that you need to have some lousy day job outside of music to survive, pero ginulat ako ng isang nakilala ko na musikera - she earns money by doing tons of tutorials and other rackets that is related to music that she loves.  Sarap, now that is where being educated in music comes to play.
“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” - J.S. Bach

Music Furniture

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
I was thinking about the thought of being discovered...and maybe the good thing to do is change the paradigm: rather than working hard to be discovered, bring your music out without caring if you will be "discovered" in the traditional sense.

Offline badbach66

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »
I was thinking about the thought of being discovered...and maybe the good thing to do is change the paradigm: rather than working hard to be discovered, bring your music out without caring if you will be "discovered" in the traditional sense.

Yup..work ka nga ng work, promote ng promote ng banda nyo..pero if your band sounds like a million other bands out there, I don't think it's gonna work..
References: masterchoxter, turigiliano, Gibson78, akellefusion, jetleebog, Drew_Asuncion, jonathan_dead, chester_uy, pao2pao16, obetski, deadlifted, 2joeross, Iommifan, chromeknive, etc...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=361241

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
Yup..work ka nga ng work, promote ng promote ng banda nyo..pero if your band sounds like a million other bands out there, I don't think it's gonna work..

It's not just the sound. maraming sumikat that sounds like many out there. Of course, I still subscribe that aside from hard work and talent, there's always some sort of law of probability involved.

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »

PS  Spamming is NOT good.  There was this band named Hammilan who got punned as SPAMMILAN and things did not turn out right, and to my surprise, their music was not all that impressive.

yup, i remember that.  mga newbie kuno at nagmamaang-maangan pag sinasabihan sila tungkol sa spam.  there were at least 5 of them spamming the forums with hammilan this and hammilan that.

even back in the mid-'90s, when hammilan was still a member of the band BL@H, their music wasn't too impressive...songwriting ok enough at times, but musically nothing special.  in fact, their song "ipis" which got airplay in NU 107 sounds like something off a vhong navarro album...  :lol:  siguro dahil yun yung pambato nila sa mainstream audience...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:23:01 PM by Endshiftresign! »
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »
mom's cake nadiscover ni ogie XD
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline moony044

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
i've got tons to say about selling out pero on the topic....

just make music man! sabi nga ni Dio ng black heaven, "we are examples of what you can accomplish, if you just believe in what you do..."
those are big words from a little man my friend, personally, who wouldn't want to be discovered earn from what you do without compromising your personal view of music?

just get on stage, go and play your heart out... if you love what you're doin, the pay doesn't even matter..

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
Kornbip, I have a hypothetical situation for you:

You have finished your independently-recorded EP and sold quite a few copies in the gig circuit.  You are starting to get a cult following.  The demo is already being played on radio.  At that point, a huge record exec contacts you with this offer:

1.  You have to rearrange your songs to become more pangmasa, that includes shortening the songs.
2.  You have to lessen the distortion and you cannot bring the guitars up (hence losing a bit of the punk vibe)
3.  If you are out of money to re-record, the record company will re-record your songs ON THEIR TERMS.  Both artistically and legally.
4.  You shall be offered 3 high budget music videos with regular airplay.
5.  You shall guest on major TV shows.
6.  You shall be however, be packaged to be mass-appealing.
7.  You shall also be managed by the company, and you'll get good pay.

What will you do?  Sign the contract?

Offline moony044

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »

You have finished your independently-recorded EP and sold quite a few copies in the gig circuit.  You are starting to get a cult following.  The demo is already being played on radio.  At that point, a huge record exec contacts you with this offer:

1.  You have to rearrange your songs to become more pangmasa, that includes shortening the songs.
2.  You have to lessen the distortion and you cannot bring the guitars up (hence losing a bit of the punk vibe)
3.  If you are out of money to re-record, the record company will re-record your songs ON THEIR TERMS.  Both artistically and legally.

sooo not signing! ahahah! well this didn't go to well for HALE(IMO) pogi band na talaga packaging nila ngayon...
i liked their early material pero i dont think na makakagawa pa sila ulit ng ganun

Offline kornbip99

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »

If you remember in one of my earlier replies to you I said "I want to be that ONE in a hundred or freakin die tryin.

Agreed though. Selling out is never the solution. But it won't be selling out if you actually loved what you're doing, is it?"

You know I'd never agree and be happy to terms 1,2,3 and 6. We are what we are now. No one can change that but ourselves. If no label comes for us, then that's fine. It's not even a matter of selling out. It's a matter of being happy.

Hope that answers your hypothetical situation.