hulika

Author Topic: pot question  (Read 2007 times)

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« on: May 01, 2006, 04:08:40 PM »
what would be brighter on a single-coil tele bridge pickup?

a) 500k volume, 250k tone

b) 250k volume, bypassed tone pot

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:11:28 PM »
Combo #1

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
POT QUESTION? ASK SEI/ACE... :D

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

Good one, Skunk :lol:

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:39:16 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

hahaha! nice!

boss Teletubby..id go for combo 2... i think 500K for a single coil is too bright...

check out acme guitar works website too... eto link sa wiring diagrams nila:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpage.aspx?webpage_id=8

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:23:50 PM »
actually, what i have on my tele right now is a vol/vol config.  500k vol pot for neck humbucker and 250k vol pot for the bridge... pero medyo bright yung bridge masyado, hindi ko mahabol sa neck... so dilema ko ngayun kung ibabalik ko sa standard 250k/250k or try 500k/250k...

Offline bunny rabbit

pot question
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:55:04 PM »
how do pots affect the tone? sorry, i'm a noob when it comes to these things.
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
actually, what i have on my tele right now is a vol/vol config.  500k vol pot for neck humbucker and 250k vol pot for the bridge... pero medyo bright yung bridge masyado, hindi ko mahabol sa neck... so dilema ko ngayun kung ibabalik ko sa standard 250k/250k or try 500k/250k...

Id go back to the 250/250 setup..thats how a tele should be wired anyway...pero thats just me, old skool hehehe.

so HB yung neck and SC yung bridge...kahit naka baba yung tone knob bright pa rin ba yung bridge? how bout gawin mo na lang parang '72 tele na HB's hehe.

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »
Quote from: bunny rabbit

the greater the pot value, the brighter the pickup sound

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
pot question
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 10:23:57 PM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn

Id go back to the 250/250 setup..thats how a tele should be wired anyway...pero thats just me, old skool hehehe.

so HB yung neck and SC yung bridge...kahit naka baba yung tone knob bright pa rin ba yung bridge? how bout gawin mo na lang parang '72 tele na HB's hehe.

to add to that, yung current setup ko pala is sans tone pots.  thus the brighter sound from both pickups.  this is a case of either/or kasi i'm torn between choosing to make the bridge warm, or making the neck bright... in the end I might still stick with the vol/vol setup... i rarely use my tone know anyway, well except for the esquire of course

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
pot question
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 12:06:53 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn

to add to that, yung current setup ko pala is sans tone pots.  thus the brighter sound from both pickups.  this is a case of either/or kasi i'm torn between choosing to make the bridge warm, or making the neck bright... in the end I might still stick with the vol/vol setup... i rarely use my tone know anyway, well except for the esquire of course

dude, just add a 250 kilohm tone pot with a 0.022 microfarad capacitor or so. search www.fender.com for wiring configurations. the potentiometer and capacitor act as a simple RC bleeder circuit, making it sound less bright. if you want, you can wire it so as to make both the bridge and neck pickups sound warmer by connecting the leads of both pickups to the tone cap/pot. again, refer to www.fender.com for wiring diagrams. good luck in finding the right configuration :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline bunny rabbit

pot question
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 12:10:03 AM »
Quote from: bunny rabbit

the greater the pot value, the brighter the pickup sound

ohhh.. thanks bro..
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: pot question
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 12:27:50 PM »
what would be brighter on a single-coil tele bridge pickup?

a) 500k volume, 250k tone

b) 250k volume, bypassed tone pot
250k mas brighter.