hulika

Author Topic: ENLIGHTEN ME: Rack compressor modification?!  (Read 2237 times)

Offline akosiave

• Netizen Level
ENLIGHTEN ME: Rack compressor modification?!
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »
I have a Furman LC3A single channel rack compressor/limiter.
I'm actually trying to sell it, BUT I had a crazy thought that you guys here could provide some answers...

Pwede ba gawan ng modifications ang isang rack compressor/limiter?
The Furman compressor is a decent compressor, not that great (as in, far from the known classics such as the Focusrites, LA2As, 1176s, 160XLs etc...) but I was thinking baka pwede cya ma-tinker with, Im mean, swap parts, integrate a tube based circuitry, etc...

Any modification that would give it its own unique character (of professional quality/caliber of course! :P)

I figure if the genius/geeks of the Philmusic community are good enough to mod and even create stomp boxes and effects from anything, baka meron din mga kaya gumawa ng custom rack gear! or at least modifications! :)

I would gladly make this rack unit an experiment instead of selling at a low cost. And if possible nga cya mabigyan ng crazy modifications, then, I would gladly use it for my recordings! :)

Enlighten me sirs. :)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: ENLIGHTEN ME: Rack compressor modification?!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »
Technically speaking, yes specially if it comes from the generation of the 1176 and LA2A.

The next question is, how much trouble are you willing to go through ?

Sometimes it's easier and more practical to just DIY from scratch than to modify one circuit to another. That's one extreme.

But before I even attempt to put out the entire range of possibilities, what "exactly" are you looking for ?
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »
If it uses SMT's, I'd say 'fugetaboudit'.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:55 AM »
I have a Furman LC3A single channel rack compressor/limiter.
I'm actually trying to sell it, BUT I had a crazy thought that you guys here could provide some answers...

Pwede ba gawan ng modifications ang isang rack compressor/limiter?
The Furman compressor is a decent compressor, not that great (as in, far from the known classics such as the Focusrites, LA2As, 1176s, 160XLs etc...) but I was thinking baka pwede cya ma-tinker with, Im mean, swap parts, integrate a tube based circuitry, etc...

Any modification that would give it its own unique character (of professional quality/caliber of course! :P)

I figure if the genius/geeks of the Philmusic community are good enough to mod and even create stomp boxes and effects from anything, baka meron din mga kaya gumawa ng custom rack gear! or at least modifications! :)

I would gladly make this rack unit an experiment instead of selling at a low cost. And if possible nga cya mabigyan ng crazy modifications, then, I would gladly use it for my recordings! :)

Enlighten me sirs. :)

(I'll be using some Mang Raul logic ...)

1.  Have you heard a real LA2A and 1176 in action? 
2.  What's not to like about your Furman?

IMO, there are a lot of nice compressors out there without spending much  $$$ like Joemeek, Ashly and even vintage DBX Phono tabletop compressors. 

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
A little off topic. Sorry. :-o

http://www.fmraudio.com/

RNC -- clean!
RNLA -- I wouldn't say it sounds like the LA2A or the 1176 (I have both), but it does have the attitude. :-)

http://www.mercenary.com/fmrpbc.html

Rock and Roll! :-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:22:17 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline akosiave

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
ok, ill try to clear up some things...

I heard an 1176, a Focusrite Red, and the DBX 160XL in action at least once.
Not that much though, I could only dream of owning one. :P
I've only heard of the LA2A via the UAD-1 plug-in. (I like)
I've used a couple of Joe Meeks, Alesis 3630 and Symetrix 525 a little more extensively though.
More often than not, I resort to compressors ITB na. Personal favs ko ang Waves Rennaissance Comp at C4.

I agree with Skunkyfunk's Mang Raul Logic, even lower cost compressors are good, and depends on a lot of ''it depends''... depends on program material, depends on the mic and pre-amp feeding the signal, depends on the instrument, depends on the genre of music... etc...

But what I'm really trying to get at is, if there's any more unique/striking/hidden characters that you could squeeze out, in any way from this rack compressor, then I would like to take a shot at it. Well actually, naghahanap ako kng sino kaya gumawa, coz I think it's beyond my knowledge and capabilities to do so. :p

I'm not saying that this Furman is bad. Not at all. I'm just saying, since hindi ko naman cya ginagamit, and have no real use for it at this time, then I'm willing to offer it for geek's sake. hehehe.
Within a reasonable budget to modify it by any means.

I actually inquired about a lot of custom gear from Mang Raul when I had my JCM900, Twin Reverb Blackface, JMP Superbass (which I sold already) and Tremolux checked up and maintained. Nagtanong din ako about custom tube guitar amps, custom tube pre-amps, custom tube compressors. Stuff I'm still keen on getting when the right time (and budget) comes to justify such gear for my purposes.

Also inspired my aspirations for an all-pinoy rig, reason why I'm selling so much gear. I'm just really wondring if a Pinoy's magical touch of tinkering can breathe a new unique life to make good gear like the Furman LC3A even greater.

Thanks sa replies mga sir! :)

oh, I've read and heard a lot of good things about FMR's comps too!