hulika

Author Topic: The Ultimate Philmusic GC TUBE REVIEW thread.  (Read 47675 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Ultimate Philmusic GC TUBE REVIEW thread.
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:08 PM »
Post away and help everyone in their future tube shopping.  ;)

First off, let's go with POWER TUBES (as these are replaced more often.)

EL34s

JJ E34L

Amp used:  Randall RM 100M (modular) and Marshall 1974 JMP Superbass.  

These are very dark-sounding EL34s.  They have very high headroom and they are much harder to break up to distortion.  Some may feel them as "stiff" and less grindy but they really work well to compensate for very bright amps like modern Laneys and Marshalls.  It is like having the bottom of 6L6s without taking out the famed EL34 sizzle.  Kind of durable compared to JJ EL34s and JJ KT77s which reportedly have higher failure rates.  

I recommend them for vintage Marshalls if you like to add more bottom.

Electro-Harmonix EL34EH

These came stock in my Randall RM100.  I think they are 'OK' tubes.  Not as pricey as others in its class but seriously, I don't find much fun in them.  Best way to describe them is they are boring but not bad.  They make a good option if you wanna go middle-of-the-road.  (Not too sizzly, not too dark, medium breakup.)  They do not like hot-biasing and they fail easily at that.

=C= SED EL34

Amp used:  Marshall 1974 JMP Plexi

At first, I admit to have been excited to receive these tubes from MetroAmp for my Plexi.  Hmmm...  Classic EL34 crunch, very nice choice for Marshalls, vintage Laneys and those Brit amps that like power tube distortion.  Very tight bottom but not exactly my choice for modern metal.  These tubes are made for teh rock and roll.  They break up easily and they also kind of endure hot biasing.  Recommended for amps built for classic Brit distortion.  

Ruby EL34BSTR

Amp Used:  1974 Marshall JMP SB Plexi

Who says Chinese tubes are not good?  These production tubes are the best for Marshalls if you like thick bottoms and less harshness (which some call 'sizzle').  They have medium breakup, and they are much thicker sounding than the SEDs.  Tube failure happens if biased too hot and if you crank your amp often (expecially if it doesn't have a Master Volume).  Recommended for Marshalls, Orange and Laney if you like to have a slightly looser bottom.  

RUBY EL34BHT

Amp used: Randall RM100, LAney A0R 50 Protube, Hiwatt Lead 50

These tubes are the best tubes for thick EL34 tones.  If you don't like bright sounds from an EL34, these are the tubes you should get.  They have harmonic richness and great headroom that seem to be like Frankensteinized EL34s.  Kind of reminds me of KT66s and they work well with modern designs like Bogners and Diezels.  Doug Roccaforte likes 'em so do I.  Great prices for a great tube!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:45:37 PM by skunkyfunk »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Ultimate Philmusic GC TUBE REVIEW thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »
currently using matched quad of TAD 6L6s in my Mesa Tremoverb. I likes. The tubes give the amp a little bit more cajones with a smoother, more focused tone - definitely less trebly than stock Mesa 6L6s. I used to have a matched set of preamp tubes but started rolling a bunch of NOS RCA, GE, Sovtek tubes in the same amp. We'll see how I feel about 'em and report back in.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline joesat

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
ano po ibig sabihin pag sinabing "matched" tubes?...pag nagpalit ba ng tubes kailangan set talaga?
successful deals w/: prank sinatra, bossingboss, alaala, dedma_walking, anodbiomech, boosted, god of war & stonelake, spankyrigor

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
ano po ibig sabihin pag sinabing "matched" tubes?...pag nagpalit ba ng tubes kailangan set talaga?

OF COURSE DAPAT SET! ;)

Matched tubes - each tube is picked by hand depending on how they react to several tests (usually they run a current through each tube and see how the readings behave) and they pack the  tubes (in pairs, quartets or even sextets) that have the same or close to same reading.  In theory this yields more accurate amplification and less crossover distortion. 

Some experts say tube matching is unnecessary but IMO why bother getting unmatched tubes if you can get them matched at no extra cost? 

Offline joesat

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »
OF COURSE DAPAT SET! ;)

Matched tubes - each tube is picked by hand depending on how they react to several tests (usually they run a current through each tube and see how the readings behave) and they pack the  tubes (in pairs, quartets or even sextets) that have the same or close to same reading.  In theory this yields more accurate amplification and less crossover distortion. 

Some experts say tube matching is unnecessary but IMO why bother getting unmatched tubes if you can get them matched at no extra cost? 

salamat sir..panibagong kaalaman na naman...e ano nman yong biasing?heheh
successful deals w/: prank sinatra, bossingboss, alaala, dedma_walking, anodbiomech, boosted, god of war & stonelake, spankyrigor

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
salamat sir..panibagong kaalaman na naman...e ano nman yong biasing?heheh

It is too technical to explain, pero to make a simple analogy, it is like setting the idling (menor) of your car.  If your car has too high idling, you will consume more gas especially during traffic.  Setting your idling too low on the other hand makes your car stop running during idle situations especially when your A/C compressor turns on. 

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
I have a spreadsheet of numerically rated tube reviews somewhere in my old files. It includes 12ax7, 12at7, 12ay7, 12au7, el84, 6l6, 6v6, 6g6, kt66, 7581, 5881, el34, 6550, kt90, etc. Will look for it and share when I find the time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:37:10 PM by deltaslim »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »
Using the following tubes in my tweed pj:

V1: JAN GE 5751
V2: JAN Philips 5751
2 JJ EL84's

I've also tried, Tung-sol 12ax7, JJ 12ax7, Sovtek 12ax7, and Gold Lion reissue EL84s.

Here's my take on the PREAMP tubes I've tried:

Wasn't very happy with the stock tubes when I got my amp, they were very noisy and somewhat dull sounding. Not sure what brand they were but I think they were Fender stamped Groove tubes.

Tried some Sovteks that came with an amp I bought (and sold) and they were quite shrill sounding to my ears, and had a lot of hum and buzzing.

The JJ 12ax7s are decent tubes, they offer a lot of gain, and have a more rugged construction. May parang extra support pa na visible perpendicular to the plates. I assume they last longer.

Both 5751's sound practically the same to my ears, but the Philips I got was a bit microphonic (rattling and weird sounds on certain notes) so I placed it in V2. The 5751s are a bit warmer, and smoother than the 12ax7 in V1 position, and have about 20% less gain. Similar to the 12at7 I think (used to have one).

The Tung-sol 12ax7 is a great preamp tube. It's just a little smoother than the JJ 12ax7 and just as quiet. Aside from that I didnt hear much difference with the JJ.

POWER tubes:

The Gold Lion EL84s I borrowed from a hifi amp builder. They gave me more pronounced highs and mids, but somewhat looser bass. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to drive the amp that much because I tested it in a confined space.

The JJ EL84's give me balanced highs, mids, and lows. Just what I need for a basic, stripped down, volume-and-tone tube amp. I get a very distinct british overdriven tone. Haven't had any issues with it so far. I like em a lot. :)

Hope this helps!

Here's a photo of my amp's tubes cooking :D :
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »
I have a spreadsheet of numerically rated tube reviews somewhere in my old files. It includes 12ax7, 12at7, 12ay7, 12au7, el84, 6l6, 6v6, 6g6, kt66, 7581, 5881, el34, 6550, kt90, etc. Will look for it and share when I find the time.
haneps! that would be a great resource, Delta.

@boogsy: i agree with the Tungsol. I have a couple of the newer Chinese made Tungsols and they sound great in my Tremoverb.

anyone have more experience comparing the TAD and SED 6l6 tubes?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:30:34 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »
To the mods, especially Poundcake, can we just sticky this so we have the info right on top?  Thanks.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
okay you can see my amp, peavey delta blues 210, its for.........Blues., mostly.

anyway, will changing tubes give it more gain for rock or will it do cleans better depending on the tubes you put? will it greatly affect the amps performance depending on the tube set you put?

i just wanna fetch ideas from those who actually have changed tubes of different types and brands.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
okay you can see my amp, peavey delta blues 210, its for.........Blues., mostly.

anyway, will changing tubes give it more gain for rock or will it do cleans better depending on the tubes you put? will it greatly affect the amps performance depending on the tube set you put?

i just wanna fetch ideas from those who actually have changed tubes of different types and brands.

Don't get us wrong, tubes can change the tone in a subtle way, but it doesn't mean that replacing your Delta Blues' stock tubes will make it sound like a Tweed Bassman. 

IMO, preamp tubes pretty much dictate the amount of USABLE gain in an amp, and the "hi-fi-ness" of the sound.  That is where microphonics and smoothness comes in.  Some preamp tubes tend to be dark, some are jangly, some are just plain. 

Power tubes on the other hand, define the "hugeness" of the sound. 

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
Don't get us wrong, tubes can change the tone in a subtle way, but it doesn't mean that replacing your Delta Blues' stock tubes will make it sound like a Tweed Bassman. 

IMO, preamp tubes pretty much dictate the amount of USABLE gain in an amp, and the "hi-fi-ness" of the sound.  That is where microphonics and smoothness comes in.  Some preamp tubes tend to be dark, some are jangly, some are just plain. 

Power tubes on the other hand, define the "hugeness" of the sound. 

ah, although may nababago siya sa sound ng amp, hindi siya material para amging "whole new amp".. what you mean by the descriptions sa tube is parang it "enhances" ung mga characteristics ng amp... tama ba ako?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »
ah, although may nababago siya sa sound ng amp, hindi siya material para amging "whole new amp".. what you mean by the descriptions sa tube is parang it "enhances" ung mga characteristics ng amp... tama ba ako?

Yes, in fact, Soldano recommends changing the speaker first before a tube change if you want drastic imrpovements.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
EL84s

Ei EL84/ 6BQ5

Amp used:  Mesa Boogie DC-2

These tubes are discontinued AFAIK but if you can find them, GET THEM!  They are probably the best ones made since the Telefunkens in the old days.  They have nice detail.  Very much like NOS GE's.  Sparkly tops and tight bottoms (no flabs there) and highly recommended for jangly sounds.

GE EL84/6BQ5

Amp used:  Mesa Boogie DC-2

Raon still has some of these babies and if you come by them, get them before they run out!  The best way to describe them is 3D.  They exhibit unspeakable clarity and shimmer in the treble and presence department, and they breakup very smoothly.  I guess they are the best cheaper NOS EL84s in the market today.

Mesa Boogie EL84

Amp Used:  Mesa Boohgie DC-2

Stock in my DC2, and reportedly rebadged Sovteks.  They are ok but they have some flabby bottom character and I agree to what experts say that they have a bit of 'cardboard' sounding breakup.  But they are cheap and rugged so buy them if your goal is to maintain your amp if you had no other choice.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:51:00 AM by skunkyfunk »

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
Skunky, magkano sa raon yung GE EL84? 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
Skunky, magkano sa raon yung GE EL84? 

Alam ko 8 years ago they went for P600-800 a piece. 

Offline shredmonster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
wow dami palang kailangan pagisipan sa pagpapalit ng mga tube ng amp

meron bang tube amp na below 10k?

gusto ko kahit mga 8k lang na full tube not a hybrid

parang nakukulangan na ako sa solid state nung naka subok ako ng mga tube sa tms :lol:

GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »

parang nakukulangan na ako sa solid state nung naka subok ako ng mga tube sa tms :lol:

I know someone who got a SF Twin Reverb for 10k.  May master volume but what the heck. :D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Nice thread!

What about 6L6's?  :-D

I was about to say "go fish!" hahaha pero kahit ako pala nakaisa din nito. I got a Fender Champ 12 for 10k and resold it for 9k to the guy who sold it (veggiejoe) to the guy I bought it from (deltaslim). Hehehe. Arjin aka randymarsh sold his Epiphone Valve Jr. for like 5k. Suwerte nakabili nun.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 01:39:19 PM »
Nice thread!

I was about to say "go fish!" hahaha pero kahit ako pala nakaisa din nito. I got a Fender Champ 12 for 10k and resold it for 9k to the guy who sold it (veggiejoe) to the guy I bought it from (deltaslim). Hehehe. Arjin aka randymarsh sold his Epiphone Valve Jr. for like 5k. Suwerte nakabili nun.

3k yung Vj. Ako nakabili :D
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
Nice thread!

6L6s

SOVTEK 6L6WXT+

Amp used:  1970s Silverface Fender Bassman 135 head

These tubes have very high headroom and they are quite harder to break up compared to the older Sovtek 6L6 variants I have tried like the 5881WXT.  They have nice detail in the highs and lows, very fat bottom but not flabby.  Perfect for both bass and guitar.  When you break them up, they sound very smooth (not cardboard-sounding).  Highly recommended for Fenders if you are undecided with the tone you want.

SOVTEK KT66

Amp used:  Laney LC50 1x12 combo

The stock tubes in the Laney were Sovtek 5881WXTs and I found them too flat-sounding.  The KT66s were a mile-step improvement to the tone.  First off, it added a lot of usable headroom.  They took away the boring 1-dimensional tones of the Sovtek 5881WXTs.  The Sovtek KT66s were very rich in harmonic content, that some say is similar to the NOS coke bottle 6L6s.  The nice thing about the Sovtek KT66s is the added MIDRANGE BARK (not exactly EL34ish...) more like John Mayall-type fat tones.  They work nicely with Brit-designs but I don't know with Fenders.  Maybe the enhanced lows can be something you may dislike if you want a tighter sound.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »
...base on my experience...if you want dramatic change in your sound .... change cab and speakers.
..power or preamp tubes have very little effect on the sound.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:10 AM »
...base on my experience...if you want dramatic change in your sound .... change cab and speakers.
..power or preamp tubes have very little effect on the sound.

Yup, little but I'd compare it to having a fresh change in strings.  It is that inspiring.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
Errrr... Not to ruin the topic but what would be the best tubes when it comes to pedals? I have 2 Vox Cooltrons and I have plans on changing the tubes, what would guys recommend? :mrgreen: