hulika

Author Topic: how do you get your metal sound  (Read 27657 times)

Offline coolaxer

Re: how do you get your metal sound
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
omg  :-D
PLAY TO EXPRESS B!#CH NOT TO IMPRESS.

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
Thanks...

I do believe in what you said that its the amps that carry a metal sound.  All of them are tube because they have a certain softer quality to the level of distortion and drive that solid state amps and pedals CANNOT get. And I find solid state stuff harsh compared to driving the preamp distortion of these high gain amps which are designed for metal from the ground up.  The other reason, I have choices for so called metal amps is that each amp has a unique voicing like there are numerous metal pedals with unique voicings too.  So, its not a matter of just prescribed settings because there are different flavors of metal. The other recent discovery I have is that the cabinet design and material has a very very very large effect on the sound for metal -- more important than pickups I would say.   For metal, nothing beats an amp and speaker cabinet combination.  Its a simple BUT expensive set up.  Notice that majority of the so-called known metal guys do NOT use a solid state pedal with word 'metal' ?  At best, to my horror, they have boost pedals in front of their 'metal' amps.

So here is a rundown of my 'metal' amps:

Diezel Herbert -- killer third channel for modern metal rhythms ... rated at 180 watts tube with an ability to switch tubes to 6550s or KT 88s to yield 300 watts tube.  Also, has a lovable Channel 2 plus that sounds like a real tricked out marshall on steroids.  Very flexible contour knob that does scooped metal so well all the way up to a fat elevated mid range.  It terms of voicing it has a unique but slight compression and midrange that is nice to hear.

Excerpt description of the third channel from tone merchants: "The third channel is the fire-breathing monster that we've come to expect out of this long-awaited masterpiece. From 80's metal to saturated fat shred lead sounds to the most intense over-the-top detuned Nu-Metal and ultra fast doomsday death metal sounds, the Herbert dishes out some of the gnarliest, some of the most menacing, some of the biggest and some of the punchiest distortion sound EVER from a guitar amplifier. "

"From here, you flick the gain/voicing switch to "plus" and observe the Herbert morph into the brighter Marshall-like territoty with more punch and definition while retaining warmth in the midrange. It's not quite the 3rd channel of the VH4, but it was never meant to mimic the 3rd channel of that amp. With some tweaking, I was able to simulate some early-VH-esque sounds. With the gain cranked, the 2nd channel delves into the 80's metal sounds -- think Ozzy, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, etc. The Herbert's second channel can cover decades' worth of classic sounds on its own. Always toneful with a throaty midrange, this is the channel that will surprise many Diezel fans. Peter has allowed you to dial in some great low-to-medium gain sounds with more punch and definition on the bottom. I really love the fact that the Herbert can get some very nice classic rock sounds as well after these tweaks performed by Peter.

The third channel is heavy on the gain but very sweet sounding with a lot of cutting mids. This channel is superb for all-out shred a la Shawn Lane and Buckethead and over-the-top pummeling Nu-Metal rhythms and super fast Death Metal riffs. Still featuring a super fast transient attack that slowly and surely evolves into a pleasant sponginess, this channel exhibits remarkable tonal balance and tactile response with touch sensitivity. With the gain at around 1 o'clock, the treble at 2 o'clock, the mid at 3 o'clock and the bass at around noon, you get a juicy yet tight and liquid high-gain sound that's perfect for that Satriani, Vai, Petrucci sort of a sound"

Bogner Uberschall (Version 1) -- Another flexible and killer lead channel for rhythms...  It is more open sounding with that fat and juicy Bogner mid range.  This is what I call a fat metal sound.  It also has droning overtones in the bass register which is perfect for down tuning.

Excerpt from  Bogner Website "we then unleash mayhem with the Five-Mega Ton SUPER AGGRESSIVE high gain channel with gain, bass, middle, treble, volume and presence controls. You think you've heard BASS before, no way, the UBERSCHALL will shatter your rib-cage, you better put 911 on speed dial! Even with extreme gain and volume this channel stays massively focused and resists mushing out from the heaviest right-hand attack. Have some other crazy effects? Put them through the Tube buffered effects loop. Power comes from a throaty EL34 output section.

Go ahead, try and hide from the UBERSCHALL it will seek you out, relentlessly, while you sleep, in this life and the next... But all will soon embrace the UBERSCHALL and we will wonder how anyone tried to play Standard tuning, 7 String or Dropped low tuning guitar without it"

VHT Ultralead Pitbull - It does tight 80s thrash metal and punch to boot -- gotta love that built in graphic EQ that does not add any noise.  It can sound really stiff but with the right guitar it gets a sharp and focused sound.

Excerpt from Tone Merchants & Fryette website "The flagship of the Pittbull line, the Ultra-Lead now features Gain-Stacking in the Lead and Rhythm channels. Preset your channel gains for subtle, biting clean, robust, chunky rhythm, or searing, pummeling overdrive, then let the footswitch do the rest. The cleanest, quietest effects loop in the world just got better with the addition of a switchable parallel mode. Mix the true amp sound with your favorite effect or process the entire pre-amp signal. The choice is yours. This head also features a Graphic EQ section for those wanting to kick in a scooped death metal sound or an ultra fat lead sound with extra mids."

"The Pittbull Ultra-Lead is a powerful, yet extremely versatile amplifier well suited for players of any style who are unafraid to own center stage. Uncompromising personality has made this amplifier the top choice of world class players from all genres of music. The Ultra-Lead's KT88 power section provides stunning clarity and definition whether playing clean or at maximum gain. The low and medium gain sounds are balanced and spacious, while the clean tones can be pristine, chunky, crisp or edgy. The wide range of sounds is limited only by your imagination."

Soldano SLO 100 -- Still my favorite of the bunch because it can do 80s to early 90s metal.  Love the crunch sound. The sound is defined and yet open.  Its a very expressive,revealing and touch responsive amp.  In fact, it can be unforgiving specially for first timers -- Ibanez Guitar guys into multi-effects units beware because it really will reveal your technique if you plug straight.  Another trick I learned to maximize its sound is to pair it up with Vintage 30s with the correctly designed and made cabinet.  This smoothens out the sometimes over top upper mid cut of the Vintage 30s.  

Excerpt from Soldano website: "The 100 watt SUPER LEAD OVERDRIVE is the amplifier that has set the standard for high gain tube distortion. Unchanged in over fifteen years, it remains the unmatched benchmark for modern lead guitar tone and amplifier quality."

Soldano Hot Rod 50 -- Voiced after SLO? Not really exact.  Its more compressed.  Its not as hi-fi or revealing and its very strong in the midrange.  I like using it for shred instrumentals because its easier to play than the SLO.

Marshall 30th Anniversary Head (Not in Picture) -- I like its third channel for thrash and deathmetal because it has a really defined and chunky sound which is not too over the top.  You could say that less gain is actually more.

Excerpt from Marshall -- "LEAD is what channel 3 is all about. This channel has a switch for two gain alternatives. The first, a smoldering saturation, is preset to the channel. The other is a searing gain boost that shoots screaming solos beyond the limits of any previous sonic experience. Besides awesome gain, Marshall includes a mid-shift selector to transform the middle control into an expansive "contour" control. Where other high-gain amps turn muddy and lose definition, the 30th anniversary model tonal shaping helps you to retain the definition that articulates every note."

Marshall JCM 900 SLX (Not in Picture) -- If I ever needed to do 90s Anthrax, this would be the amp to use.  The distortion in this amp should have been designed into the whole JCM 900 line. Too bad.  It goes a step further from the JCM 800 series but retaining the clarity and definition with more crunch and punch.

Excerpt from Marshall -- "Produced during the 1990's, the JCM 900 Mark IV SL-X (Super Lead X-tended) amp was an evolutionary link in the Marshall Master Volume series. By adding an extra ECC 83 (12AX7A) valve, Marshall engineers created a gain-drenched front end that combined twin gain controls, from 0-10, and another that went all the way to 20!"

I still have a list of more 'metal' sounding amps to buy.  I appreciate them because I plug straight and I rely on their tube preamps to generate the drive and distortion I need.

dame mo ngang gamit nakakabilib at nakakaingit pero bigyan mo ng justice mga gamit mo wag puro yabang, wag puro explanation ang gawin mo, idemo mo para manahimik kame. maraming metal players ang hindi kasing yaman o mayaman katulad mo pero siguradong kayang kaya ka nila ilampaso.

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
dame mo ngang gamit nakakabilib at nakakaingit pero bigyan mo ng justice mga gamit mo wag puro yabang, wag puro explanation ang gawin mo, idemo mo para manahimik kame. maraming metal players ang hindi kasing yaman o mayaman katulad mo pero siguradong kayang kaya ka nila ilampaso.

+1000, sir frivers, pakitaan mo nga ng metal riffs  :evil:

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
+1000, sir frivers, pakitaan mo nga ng metal riffs  :evil:

haha naku metal ako pero i dont consider myself magaling sa ibang tao dahil madame mas magaling. pero i can always make demos sa mga metal riffs ko humina hina lang ulan gagawa ako ng vid demo try ko mamaya hehe.

dito sa site namen sa www.myspace.com/painscaleband my mga songs kame at vids na ako gumawa ng halos lahat ng riffs, di mahal ang mga gamit namen pero nadeliver naman namen ang gusto nameng tunog. and sa lahat my value kame na stay humble

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:12 AM »
haha naku metal ako pero i dont consider myself magaling sa ibang tao dahil madame mas magaling. pero i can always make demos sa mga metal riffs ko humina hina lang ulan gagawa ako ng vid demo try ko mamaya hehe.

dito sa site namen sa www.myspace.com/painscaleband my mga songs kame at vids na ako gumawa ng halos lahat ng riffs, di mahal ang mga gamit namen pero nadeliver naman namen ang gusto nameng tunog. and sa lahat my value kame na stay humble
tama, dapat maging humble ang isang musician

astig talaga Schecter Synyster Gates mo  :evil:

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »
tama, dapat maging humble ang isang musician

astig talaga Schecter Synyster Gates mo  :evil:

thanks ser hehe hindi namen kasi ikaangat ng isang musician ang pagyayabang eh

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2009, 10:30:37 AM »

oo nga kht mt2 lang kung magaling naman gumagamit eh wla parin sinabi yung magagarang gears :-D

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
hayy.. eto nanaman tayo.. :D
bos alex i wanna try your herbert im saving up for a vh4 kc para may idea ako :)

hi guys, here's a clip of a mesa dual rec and a bogner uberschall in a bi amp setup :)
not too metally na super scooped mids but i think its good enough naman. sakto lang na maririnig at mararamdaman, hehehe
i think gain on the amp ndi lumagpas ng 1 oclock..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOhNm5F97I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNVnrtCVNA

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:44:36 AM by Boosted »

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »
may away ba dito? :|

oo nga kht mt2 lang kung magaling naman gumagamit eh wla parin sinabi yung magagarang gears :-D
your right,playing pa rin is a great factor...

playing talaga... :-D
Ibanez RG321MH RB, Artec GIOVANNI Custom Humbucker GCH2 Bridge and Neck,Ibanez WD7, Fulltone OCD V4, Boss CE2, Boss HR2, EHX Holystain,MI Audio Crunchbox, Boss RV3, Unoh PSU, Dunlop Jazz III

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,220146.0.html

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
Skunky, you might want to change your statement. It wasn't a smiley, it was an obnoxious, sarcastic laugh.

And Mr. Gomez, let me set the record straight, I first challenged you to show off your "gear" in a recording studio.

(Nope, I first challenged you to come over to my house.  You want studio?  Lets fly to New York.  I will book ultrasound rehearsal A for as long as you want.  No local stuff.  Just the two of us if you want studio.  I will pay for the recording.) 

Many members volunteered their services to record the event. You balked, because of your "conditions". I even offered to pay for the studio, I even had one of the best ones on standby. You said, no. It was you that chickened out.

This is what you said on August 22, 7:14am:

I will agree to the studio challenge if:
1. There is no audio and video for the main reason that it will not capture the important elements that define good sounding equipment.  (Yup this is still my position.  If you want to hear them just come over.  Its that simple.)
2. No BAMF blind test rules but rather invite 10 known guitarist to test my equipment against yours.  Then you can video their review of the equipment.
  (Yup, kung nasa stage ka ba double blind test ang tugtog mo?)

That being said: You are still welcome to come over with your guitar and amp to my house.
Lets get the facts straight. This wasn't about my gear or my playing, it was about yours. See Link

How about using your logic:

Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #885 on: February 17, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »

Vaisteen,

With all due respect, how does he calling me CHICKEN help the Pinoy Musician? (I said you chickened out and I didn't mean you were part of the poultry livestock.)  By the way, it was he who claimed first that it will beat titanium, the onus is on him to prove it. (Hah hah... Just ask the guys producing titanium if you don't believe me.  It does have an effect -- a desirable one at that at least on my guitars.) 

You have onus now to prove what you claim that you can outmetal anyone here. Also, I can prove I can achieve an adequate metal sound with the settings I posted. (LOL)

(Hah hah -- another misconception.  You forgot to provide your amp settings and your guitar configuration.  Adequate to who?  Baka sa iyo lang sa set up mo.)

Also, you said this:
How come you don't show us how you good you can be? - Your logic derived from above.

(Nothing to show about equipment -- its for people to try.  I don't care about playing for you. Sino ka ba?)

Mr. Gomez, I am really tired of your useless, inane, "I can afford tone" posts. I really can't imagine why some people keep defending you and saying you are nice person. Please let us not remind the members of that debate you had with a member who waited for you twice on a similar challenge but you didn't show up. You can behind your amps all you want. The truth is, people here know what kind of person you really are. 

(Actually, I cannot afford because I still have a long list.  Again the challenge is simple, come over and try it for yourself.  You try to overcomplicate things.  Its for your benefit not mine.  I eat, breathe and sleep on this equipment everyday.)

I vote to close this thread. From a forumite asking simple tips on how to achieve the metal sound, it has turned to this.

(Metal sounds are not as simple and are IN FACT more equipment dependent than so called 'hands'.)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
And in Alex/Firemodel's defense...

I sincerely don't think Alex intends to be offensive. He just happens to be very passionate about gear. And he does seem very knowledgeable about gear. Also - I must admit that his gear collection does seem quite formidable.

And I've heard from more than one person that Alex is a nice guy in person.

So maybe everyone can just lighten up a bit.  :-)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
And in Alex/Firemodel's defense...

I sincerely don't think Alex intends to be offensive. He just happens to be very passionate about gear. And he does seem very knowledgeable about gear. Also - I must admit that his gear collection does seem quite formidable.

And I've heard from more than one person that Alex is a nice guy in person.

So maybe everyone can just lighten up a bit.  :-)

Yup... Very passionate about this topic because god damn metal tones are so hard to get.  But if you notice I try to prescribe less and less because as proven by your example -- its about playing.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
hayy.. eto nanaman tayo.. :D
bos alex i wanna try your herbert im saving up for a vh4 kc para may idea ako :)

hi guys, here's a clip of a mesa dual rec and a bogner uberschall in a bi amp setup :)
not too metally na super scooped mids but i think its good enough naman. sakto lang na maririnig at mararamdaman, hehehe
i think gain on the amp ndi lumagpas ng 1 oclock..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEOhNm5F97I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNVnrtCVNA

Boosted, ideally, I would ask you to play thru both.  You can ask Cris but I think he prefers his Bogner over the Mesa sans the honeymoon period with new gear.  In my experience, as much as I tried so so so very hard to like the Dual Rectifier Series, it just doesn't sound as pleasing to the ear as either Diezel or Bogner.  There are nuances with each amp that are NOT captured by the clips that WILL MAKE OR BREAK a purchase.  I can only describe the sound of the VH4 in reference to my Herbert.  When I went back to Ultrasound Rehearsal over a year ago, I had to recalibrate my ears to the room and the other amps by playing on the Herbert at Ultrasound.  Then, I plugged into the VH4 but it was really an extensive test of the VH4 because I was just checking voicings to identify the unique Diezel voicing signature which was there for both amps.  Even today, the sound you heard before will not be the same because I changed cabinets -- even though only the  cabinets changed with exactly the same Celestions you heard before, its a whole new dimension to all the amps I have.  Please feel free to come by anytime.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »
Pero t_ngina - hanep yung kotse ni Cris/Boosted. :-)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline marc_wylde

« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
Well, I would have to go with one of the amps I have...

For cleaner amps, I will have to use either of these two pedals...

or Openhaus by Toneczar

Oh let's not forget, I got rid of the orange 2x12 cabinets and replaced them with 2 of these:

I can pretty much out metal anybody else here... LOL!!!

to lighten things up here:

tignan nyo yung pic na nasa magazine si satriani at vai

parang kamukha ni satriani si voldemort.

haha napansin ko lang  :-D

Offline coolaxer

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »
nanjan na si PEPENG!

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
Hindi naman nag brownout eh! Sabi kagabi magbbrownout?! :|

Oops! :-o
Wrong thread. :oops:

:lol:
Sir kragz the way you said this parang ang low end naman ng MT-2. :cry: :cry: Hehe deh biro lang. :-D

"If you are not tight, out of tune, or both, not even the most expensive sound equipment in the world can make you sound good."

(Honga pala.. Kawawa naman yung threadstarter nito na nagtatanong lang kung pano niyo makuha yung metal sound niyo tapos yung iba na satin dito nag aargue na.. :-()
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Lets see who is chicken.

To refresh our memories, let people read how "good" you really are:

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,58050.0.html

Enough said
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline coolaxer

« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
yan yung kaaway ni kuya delta?

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Hindi naman nag brownout eh! Sabi kagabi magbbrownout?! :|

Oops! :-o
Wrong thread. :oops:

:lol:Sir kragz the way you said this parang ang low end naman ng MT-2. :cry: :cry: Hehe deh biro lang. :-D

"If you are not tight, out of tune, or both, not even the most expensive sound equipment in the world can make you sound good."

(Honga pala.. Kawawa naman yung threadstarter nito na nagtatanong lang kung pano niyo makuha yung metal sound niyo tapos yung iba na satin dito nag aargue na.. :-()

parang low end nga yung dating nung mt2 compare sa ano ni pepeng :-D

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
parang low end nga yung dating nung mt2 compare sa ano ni pepeng :-D
:lol: :lol:
Ibanez RG321MH RB, Artec GIOVANNI Custom Humbucker GCH2 Bridge and Neck,Ibanez WD7, Fulltone OCD V4, Boss CE2, Boss HR2, EHX Holystain,MI Audio Crunchbox, Boss RV3, Unoh PSU, Dunlop Jazz III

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
heeheheee peace awt ^^

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
yeah!mukang medyo natahimik tong thread hehe :-D

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
yeah!mukang medyo natahimik tong thread hehe :-D

pabugso bugso ang lakas ng hangin eh.. minomonitor ng mga tao ngayon si pepeng :-D

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »
mukha nga! :-D hehe
sana may mag post dito about sa metalmuff