hulika

Author Topic: danny gatton on ACL  (Read 1192 times)

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
danny gatton on ACL
« on: May 03, 2006, 11:48:12 AM »
search=danny%20gatton

4 songs by the man dubbed "the world's greatest unknown guitarist".  his playing is a very interesting mix of country, rockabilly, jazz, and blues.  on the last song, watch him use a beer bottle for a slide (spilling beer on his guitar) and wipe his guitar with a towel while playing without missing a beat.

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
danny gatton on ACL
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »
hehehe, DG there for you :D its quite difficult to find someone to outplay him.
Trivia, the volume knob cap that Vai is using on Evo belonged to DG :D God rest his soul :)
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
danny gatton on ACL
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 05:40:59 PM »
Wow! Danny is THE man! All hail "The Humbler"! Too bad he has left us, but thank heavens he did leave us with fine music.

I got into his stuff about six years ago, but I did hear about him way back longer. I was quite saddened to have learnt about his suicide, which was kinda following his mentors footsteps too far. (Roy Buchanan, another fine underrated telemaster, who was DG's room mate and who also shared the title of "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist", and ironically, comitted suicide as well.)

These two guys are totally amazing, the world owes them for their talent. Too bad, the both worked barely within the radar's frequency...   :(
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
danny gatton on ACL
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
The Gatton ? Gawd that guy is unbelievable. I had the Guitar Player issue with him as front cover.

He uses a pick, and the other 3 fingers of this picking hand, simultaneously. That's pretty hard to beat ! Although AFAIK, that's a standard blues practice also...
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
danny gatton on ACL
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:02:24 PM »
One thing I realized on that video. I didn't know that you could use slap n pop on a double bass (Shame on me, I'm an Ex Bassist)...

Great guitarist btw. Even if I dont know him. He should've lived longer to influence many other guitarists.