hulika

Author Topic: Need Help to dispose of a PRS Hollow Body McCarty  (Read 5657 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Need Help to dispose of a PRS Hollow Body McCarty
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 09:36:03 AM »
Specifications of the PRS Hollowbody McCarty 2000:
Spruce Top with Mahogany Top
Rosewood Fingerboard with Bird Inlays
Aluminum Stop Tailpiece
Ebony Tuning Pegs

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 10:46:52 AM »
Quote from: lykenhowl
Quote from: stratman1
Quote from: oasgomez
Request lang Skunky,

If you dont have money to buy P135,000 worth of PRS,  Huwag mo naman i-compare sa 57 Historic LP na pareho mong hindi pa naririnig at hindi mo mabibili.  Nangangailangan siya ng pera.  Anyway, if you are not interested the guitar will be sold eventually to the really big guns here locally who buy expensive guitars and they dont usually patronize this forum.   I am just acting on an urgent request and I thought of posting it here but given the lackluster interest which I think really is driven by affordability, I should not have posted it.

As I said, he is no techie.  So, either I wait for him to bring the unit to Manila so I can take pics which in any case susubukan niyo naman for sound and feel which defeats the purpose of posting pictures if you dont have the money.

OUCH!!! :cry:  :lol:

Yeah OUCH it is... :x

oo nga, TUGSHK!!! :D
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 11:02:56 AM »
Quote from: kawal
Quote from: lykenhowl
Quote from: stratman1
Request lang Skunky,

If you dont have money to buy P135,000 worth of PRS,  Huwag mo naman i-compare sa 57 Historic LP na pareho mong hindi pa naririnig at hindi mo mabibili.  Nangangailangan siya ng pera.  Anyway, if you are not interested the guitar will be sold eventually to the really big guns here locally who buy expensive guitars and they dont usually patronize this forum.   I am just acting on an urgent request and I thought of posting it here but given the lackluster interest which I think really is driven by affordability, I should not have posted it.

As I said, he is no techie.  So, either I wait for him to bring the unit to Manila so I can take pics which in any case susubukan niyo naman for sound and feel which defeats the purpose of posting pictures if you dont have the money.

OUCH!!! :cry:  :lol:

Yeah OUCH it is... :x

oo nga, TUGSHK!!! :D

boys... wag nyo na gatungan...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »
Quote from: markflo
i can't wait for skunky's response...exciting...hahah...

I haven't tried an R7 but, I've tried Mel Po's old R8 and compared it to the several LP's in his possession including my old '76.  So I know more or less how a '57 would sound.

Man, I can't afford a trip to Switzerland, but what the heck.  I'd rather have spend the money on gear than take the trip, SHOULD I HAVE THE BUDGET FOR IT.  

I have a wishlist of my own.  So what's wrong with saying I don't wanna buy a PRS Semi-hollow if I can get an R7?  Does that hurt someone else's pussy?  The keyword here is PRIORITIES.  

Oasgomez, can you afford a liposuction operation from a Hollywood surgeon?

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
My point is that you shoud NOT assume a guitar to sound like/compare to something you have not both heard.  

For all I care, you can have anything on your wishlist.  But, until you hear it, it becomes a figment of your imagination.  Akala mo ba ikaw lang nakarinig ng dating R8 ni Mel?  How long a time did you spend on it? I spent over two hours with it and I and Mel were testing its pickups (Voodoos againts BareKnuckles).  I and Mel were able to compare it against Andy's Historic and Gibson Custom Shop F-hole semi-hollow Les Paul.  Also, I was able to test a Historic somewhere else just recently.  I will tell you now that all Les Pauls sound different.  Even against my former Les Paul Customer 1976 which I got rid because I did not like the sound.  It was a dead guitar.  So, I am saying that you dont have the right and so does everybody else have the right to say that you can equate a PRS Hollow Body McCarty with a Gibson Historic R7 based solely on price until you hear both in person.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

I haven't tried an R7 but, I've tried Mel Po's old R8 and compared it to the several LP's in his possession including my old '76.  So I know more or less how a '57 would sound.

Man, I can't afford a trip to Switzerland, but what the heck.  I'd rather have spend the money on gear than take the trip, SHOULD I HAVE THE BUDGET FOR IT.  

I have a wishlist of my own.  So what's wrong with saying I don't wanna buy a PRS Semi-hollow if I can get an R7?  Does that hurt someone else's pussy?  The keyword here is PRIORITIES.  

Oasgomez, can you afford a liposuction operation from a Hollywood surgeon?

Ouch again!!! Damn! This thread is starting to get personal and nasty.

I've tried both. I won't buy any of them, though. Not that they're fugly sounding but because I can't afford to shell out that kind of money at the present time. I would if I could, but I couldn't... at least not right now. That's why I just keep on reading and interject a comment or two every now and then, hehe :lol:

If I'm not helping, then I'm sorry. Just ignore me, hehe
 :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »
My point is that you shoud NOT assume a guitar to sound like/compare to something you have not both heard.  

I am not saying an R7 and McCarty Semihollow sound the same.  Construction pa lang alam mo nang hindi sila dapat pareho ng tunog.

For all I care, you can have anything on your wishlist.  But, until you hear it, it becomes a figment of your imagination.  

So many guitars, so little time.  I would not bother imagining and fantasizing over guitars I cannot try due to proximity, availability and price issues.  By a long shot, I want to try the celebrities' guitar setups as Jack Rufo did try Steve Vai's rig in a Hard Rock gig he saw somewhere in Asia.

Akala mo ba ikaw lang nakarinig ng dating R8 ni Mel?  How long a time did you spend on it? I spent over two hours with it and I and Mel were testing its pickups (Voodoos againts BareKnuckles).  I and Mel were able to compare it against Andy's Historic and Gibson Custom Shop F-hole semi-hollow Les Paul.  Also, I was able to test a Historic somewhere else just recently.  I will tell you now that all Les Pauls sound different.  Even against my former Les Paul Customer 1976 which I got rid because I did not like the sound.  It was a dead guitar.  So, I am saying that you dont have the right and so does everybody else have the right to say that you can equate a PRS Hollow Body McCarty with a Gibson Historic R7 based solely on price until you hear both in person.

For Christ's sake who said I am equating an R7 to a PRS Hollowbody?  I never said that.  For one I am pretty sure the PRS McCarty would sound sweet but I prefer true jazz boxes like Guilds which I've tried.  My whole point is with or without P135,000 in my pocket, I would not go for the McCarty semihollow because I would have to buy other stuff prior to that.

As for trying the different LPs, logic tells me that all Les Pauls sound different, but I tend to like the '57-'59s construction because they sound much clearer, IN GENERAL.  I hate the '70s Norlin era LP's, but what made me like the '76 I used to have?  The tone!  Yes it had the lousy pancake body and 5-pc maple neck and the shallow maple caps but as a whole it sounded much better than the other production LP's I've tried.  It was no dead guitar.  So are you saying you are equating your dead-sounding '76 LP to my '76?  

Put it this way.  All LP's sound different, as all Strats and Teles, sound different from each other.  German Shepherds, Bulldogs, Poodles, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians and mongrels are all dogs.  But not all German Shepherds look and behave the same. Same for Bulldogs, poodles, etc.  It is just a matter of taste as to what you would purchase first, which tend to be on the top of your wishlist.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »
BTW oasgomez, I am asking seriously, can you afford a liposuction operation from a Hollywood surgeon?

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 06:06:46 PM »
Here we go again.  :roll:

You should be discussing this like friends, not debating this like enemies. IMO lang a.  :wink:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 06:09:46 PM »
Quote from: ioffendpeople
Here we go again.  :roll:

You should be discussing this like friends, not debating this like enemies. IMO lang a.  :wink:

Dude I'm perfectly cool with everything.  Just one of those days...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 07:22:12 PM »
Oas - Parang ang harsh naman ata nung sagot mo kay skunky_funk.  Didn't you ask for help in your post? I think he was just trying to provide some input. I say this because I would have said something similar.  There's a bunch of gtrs and amps I'd buy before I ever get a P135k PRS gtr (if had that money... actually, if I did have that money, i-eentrega ko yan sa wife ko for management or money lending biz) .  Priorities and price-point considerations lang for me.  If the PRS were way cheaper, it would prolly be in the radars of more people. Ganun lang talaga ang behavior ng market.  Have you at least fed back those comments to Gabe para mapag-isipan nya since urgent ang need nya?

Personally, even if I can afford a P135k gtr, I wouldn't buy it because I can't gig a P135k gtr.  So you are right, para sa mga collector lang yan and if the really big guns who buy expensive guitars don't patronize this forum, asking for assistace here is indeed pointless. Sounds like yo've got bigger fish to fry than us fingerlings here.  All you'd get are the kind of "lackluster" interest and comments and inputs that you'd deem useless. Unless the point of it all was to tantalize w/ more $$$ booteek stuff, people here may know people that may know people, etc...

Out of curiosity, bakit di ka interested dyan sa gtr that's so good that it won't even compare to a Historic?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 07:30:45 PM »
BTW, the reason why I asked for pics is because if no one buys it, at least I can refer it to someone else.  I sold a '64 Jazzmaster on eBay a couple of years back.  But because of your untoward comments you lost potential buyers that I can refer to you.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 12:04:12 AM »

madalas ka naman kina arie... abangan mo yun r9 at r7 ni miks madalas magpasetup yun- great guitars, very resonant and woody.... btw, i prefer the sound of his r7 than his r9, mas may bite... pero yun character almost the same, subtle difference lang :D

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »
Quote from: farseer

madalas ka naman kina arie... abangan mo yun r9 at r7 ni miks madalas magpasetup yun- great guitars, very resonant and woody.... btw, i prefer the sound of his r7 than his r9, mas may bite... pero yun character almost the same, subtle difference lang :D

bakit nga ganoon?  same materials  pero mas may bite yung isa?  ano reason nun?

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 12:13:02 AM »
Im not sure.... pero parehong malupet yun mga yun... subtle lang naman e.... :D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2006, 12:15:48 AM »

Actually, that is where my "all German Shepherds look different" analogy comes in.  They're all of the same breed, but with subtly different looks and different behaviors.  Point is oasgomez misconstrued that I am equating an HB1 to an R7 which was not my supposition.  The idea is if I would invest on a premiere axe, I would buy an R7 first before anything else should I have P135,000.   But I would be glad to help Gabe dispose his axe but I find his asking price a tad too steep.  Moreover, the best way to sell things like that is thru the net, which someone knowledgeable about e-commerce can do for him.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 12:20:04 AM »
I know where your coming from.... hanap mo kasi classic tones... the prs hb1 is far from being a classic....  though i feel that it is versatile- may piezo pa....

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby

bakit nga ganoon?  same materials  pero mas may bite yung isa?  ano reason nun?

You would be surprised that if you take a wooden slab and slice it into two to make two identical guitars, they would sound different from each other.  Bakit nga ba?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »
a theory i believe goes like this: even if 2 gtrs are cut from the same slab of wood, the rest of the electro-mechanical parts might have different performance characteristics kahit same values sila. in short, tolerance plays a big part. a tolerance of 20% is prolly conservative, and not very noticeable to regular ears.  but 2 parts w/ tolerances at either extreme end will yield 40% difference in value.  that's bound to have a huge tone impact on tone. add up all the other stuff that makes up the gtr an electro-mechanical device, add water, etc... voila... you've got 2 completely different sounding gtrs with the same woods.

worse ang tolerances ng vintage instruments kaya mas malaki variance ng good vs bad instruments at the time.  ngayon pick up a MIJ or even MIC instrument, there's more likelihoood na consistent ang tone (whether it's good or bad tone is not the point).

what do you think?

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »
personally, it's always the sum of all parts. everything goes down to the molecule/atom or whatever if we want to be strict with the differences. everything will be different even if made from similar materials. nature at work na kasi. one piece will always have more mass or will be denser.
Surf's Up!