hulika

Author Topic: Effects Loop  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« on: May 05, 2006, 06:11:02 AM »
Most mid-level amps have them. When an amp is reviewed in a magazine one of the concerns is always the lack of it.

Does anyone use them?

My Princeton 65 has one. My setup is the guitar straight to the amp, then the my multieffects pedal is in the loop. I use the footswitch to switch between clean and distorted.

In essence, the gain channel of the Princeton is the first in my effects chain. I think my setup is simple and efficient.

I am one of the those purists that believe that the amp should be respected as part of the tone. Just like Angus Young and B.B. King.

How do you use your effects loop?
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Effects Loop
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:17:42 AM »
I rarely use amp FX loops but because the Diezel Herbert has a switchable FX loop, I decided to try it out and hook up my TC Electronics TCF.  It also sounded great with my Demeter Tremolo.  The FX loop is so transparent that I have now rediscovered the benefit of an FX loop.

Offline markflo

Effects Loop
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:39 AM »
mine (Laney VH100r) has a pretty unique setup. it's got a seaparate effects loop for the clean, the dirty, for both...then it's got a preamp out and a power amp in (yet another fx loop) then you can set it to side chain (parallel?) wherein the signal doesn't pass thru the effect, an "insert" which makes the signal pass thru the effect, or you can bypass it...

i bypass it...

sayang naman mga pedals ko kung di ko rin gagamitin...heheh...tonal variety...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:48:12 AM »
I use it all the time...I cannot live without it.....all my time and modulation effects goes thru it.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Effects Loop
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
i use my amp's (Peavey JSX) FX loop most of the time. yes, you're correct that the amp should be considered as a part of the tone. i like my amp's distortion that's why just put all of my post-OD pedals (modulation, chorus, delay, etc.) in the FX loop. the only pedal between my guitar and the amp input is a noise suppressor because my Stratocaster pickups have a bit of hum. but i do use my distortion and OD pedals sometimes whenever i'm looking for a certain tone :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
Like everyone else that had posted their response to this thread, I use my amp's (Triple Recti) fx loops for modulation purposes whether it is pedal or rackmount setup.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 09:56:46 PM »
you have to try this, put a Boss GE7(or any EQ) in the effects loop... its as if you get another channel from your amp...

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 10:16:03 PM »
i have it on my amp, you can choose in series or parallel, im lazy so i just plug things straight in front of it 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 02:15:45 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
you have to try this, put a Boss GE7(or any EQ) in the effects loop... its as if you get another channel from your amp...

Yeah. To me it acts like a booster/tone adjustor.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
Effects Loop
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 03:07:27 AM »
I don't use it because I don't have spare cables and the amp's back is not readily accessible.