hulika

Author Topic: tanong para sa mga may tube amps .. .  (Read 2447 times)

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
tanong para sa mga may tube amps .. .
« on: May 05, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »
regardless of brands and models, mahirap ba ang maintenance ng tube amp?

unlike solid state amps na walang iniintinding valves. . . gano katagal ba ussually bago na burn out tube?

locally at readily available ba mga tubes?

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
hmmm pag home use lang my experience is di pa ako nagapalit ng tubo at ok pa naman amp ko. Bought it mid 2003 and it hasnt complained one bit. I take care of it a lot though like i have a small fan running behind to keep it cool. I had a transistor amp a and it died on me :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 07:56:58 PM »
i believe audiophile has tubes...sa raon din meron

Offline tolits

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »
The one important thing you have to remember about tube amps is that avoid moving it after using, especially on long periods. Plates are metal and we all know that metal soften when it is heated, a lot of rental companies overlook these, thats why when they bring over the amps for repair, most of the time, you see dust residues inside the tubes, most of it comes from moving the tube amp as soon as they use it. Tube life also depends upon the frequency and duration of use and also the condition of the amp.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »
very useful tip Tolits..tenkyu!

to answer your question...kaya lang nagiging mahal kasi curiosity lang din how other tubes will sound like in the amp..pero kung masaya ka naman sa tunog, i dont see the need to change it regularly, except siempre if you use the amp every night at full volume... and even this, usually yung powertubes lang kelangan palitan because they wear faster than the small pre-amp tubes...pre-amp tubes can last for years unless they become microphonic.

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:37:46 PM »
salamat sa mga nag reply  8)

right now, undecided pa ako kung tube amp na kukunin ko or solid state pa rin  :D

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 12:47:36 PM »
Try mo Behringer AC108, 15 watts na tube amp...hindi ganun kaganda yung distortion niya pero maganda ang kagat ng distortion pedals oh kaya try mo yung Peavey Blazer 15 watts din yun.

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »
thanks dude sa suggestion  8)

im also considering a DIY tube amp, kya research pa ako tungkol sa tubes
may mga schematic diagram na available dito. . . may naka pag try na ba sa inyo gumamit ng diagram dito? gumagana ba?

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
Re: tanong para sa mga may tube amps .. .
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 06:15:36 PM »
Quote from: cool2ny
regardless of brands and models, mahirap ba ang maintenance ng tube amp?

unlike solid state amps na walang iniintinding valves. . . gano katagal ba ussually bago na burn out tube?

locally at readily available ba mga tubes?

for me, the maintenance of a tube amp isn't that much harder than a solid state amp.  

first off, you need to know that a tube amp has power tubes and preamp tubes.  if the preamp tubes are good, they should last you a long while (e.g. upwards of a year to indefinitely) unless they go microphonic.  the replacement of preamp tubes is simple.  just plug in the replacement tube and play.

power tubes, on the other hand, are a bit more complicated.  generally speaking, the lifespan of a power tube depends on the following:
1.  quality of tube (better tubes = longer life)
2.  the frequency of use (more use = shorter life)
3.  how often you crank the amp up (cranked more often = shorter life)
4.  how hot the amp is biased (hotter bias = shorter life; colder bias = may  affect tone negatively)
5.  type of power tubes (the most common families are 6L6, EL34,  and EL84.  6L6 and EL34's are not interchangeable unless your amp specifically allows so, while EL84's are definitely not interchangeable because of different pin configuration.  EL84's are less robust than the other types.)

now, let's assume the tubes are good.  with frequent use at max volume (e.g. almost everyday), the power tubes will last about 3-6 months at the most.  on the other hand, if you are a weekend warrior who plays at moderate volumes, your power tubes should last you a year upwards.

the common tubes are readily available at audiophile and other audio shops.

let me share my experience.  when i first got a tube amp (sometime during the mid to late 90's), i was also a bit apprehensive, asking all the same questions you did.  to make a long story short, my concerns were unfounded, the tone was worth it, and i'm never going back to solid state.

cheers.

Offline buliwyf

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »
its not that fragile at all :)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:03 PM »
What tubes have the best odor when they're burning?  The Sovteks KT66s seem to smell like burning rubber.  The Mesa Boogie EL84s smell good to me.

Offline allanfig

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 07:15:09 PM »
tubes last for a long time depende sa use, but always have replacements ready coz u never now what will happen...

if you really want to experience tube tone go with an amp that has a tube power stage... marshall valvestate amps are hybrids, they have a tube preamp and an ss power stage, but they dont give you that power amp breakup tone that a tube power stage delivers (thanks tolits!)
sleepless nights hunting for the perfect tone...
empty wallet because of GAS...
dropped out of school... low paying job... who cares! Long live rock and roll!!!