hulika

Author Topic: Are you a fan of relic'd guitars?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Are you a fan of relic'd guitars?
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:08:17 AM »
Are you a fan of Tom Murphy?  What is the big deal with all this "The older it looks, the better (and the pricier)..."?  

Say a Historic '59 MSRP is around $3000, but with Tom Murphy's relic job, it can go for as high as $8000.   :shock:  Of course that is 1/30th the price of a real 1959 Les Paul, but a reissue is a reissue is a reissue.  So would you even bother to get those relic'd Strats and Teles?

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:16:47 AM »
msrp or list price of an r9 is over 7k.... but you get them new for 4.5k more or less... wag lang sa musiciansfriend w/c sells them over 5k... 3k is low even for used ones... tom murphy is a great artist- yun rarity nagpapamahal dun.... mas maganda pa rin natural aging kesa artificial....

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »
Quote from: farseer
msrp of an r9 is over 6k.... but you get them new for 4.5k more or less... wag lang sa musiciansfriend w/c sells them over 5k... 3k is low even for used ones... tom murphy is a great artist- yun rarity nagpapamahal dun.... mas maganda pa rin natural aging kesa artificial....

I heard Tom Murphy uses different blades to emulate the crackling of nitro finish.  He literally cuts the finish.  Dang that is way too daunting...  My bad, sorry for the MSRP error...  I think that was some few years back  hehehe...

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:21:50 AM »
pero magaling siya tumira... another option is rs, mas mura....

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:34:04 AM »
Guitarsale prices of new regular r9s and tom murphy aged r9s

http://www.guitarsale.com/Search/?src=1959+les+paul&source=google&pw=Gibson+R8

mas mahal ng more than 2k yun murphy :D

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Are you a fan of relic'd guitars?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:16 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Are you a fan of Tom Murphy?  What is the big deal with all this "The older it looks, the better (and the pricier)..."?  

Say a Historic '59 MSRP is around $3000, but with Tom Murphy's relic job, it can go for as high as $8000.   :shock:  Of course that is 1/30th the price of a real 1959 Les Paul, but a reissue is a reissue is a reissue.  So would you even bother to get those relic'd Strats and Teles?

relic'd? u mean to say sadyang pinapaluma? nilalagyan ng scratches etc? mas trip ko kung natural wear ang tear nalang di naman kasi talaga maiiwasan yun if u gig and play ur guitar talaga e. pero syempre maganda rin pag alaga.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:38:06 AM »
mas kool pa rin ang strat/tele na i-relic... Gibson LP's are meant to be shiny and beautiful...
i am a fan of relic strats/teles pero siempre gusto ko natural relic process..kaya lang it will take years or even decades to have it looking quite old especially with the type of finish fender puts in their guitars nowadays.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 04:48:45 AM »
yeah i like the looks of strats that have been dropped, scraped, burned, dinged, dragged etc.. it just has that cool factor!  8)

i feel the opposite about a LP. should be nice and shiny.. :P

would i pay someone $$$ to age something that already cost $$$$.. ummm.. no!

i bought a squier and aged it "unnaturaly" over a week..
-dragged it across asphalt
-dropped sharp objects at it
-made it an ashtray
-faded the finish with sand paper

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 05:41:52 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
-made it an ashtray

Pics?

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 06:03:05 AM »
Quote from: Allan_Reamillo
Quote from: jack in a vox
-made it an ashtray

Pics?

nabenta na.. that was over 2 years ago :(

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:52 AM »
Wow, ang gagaling tlga ng mga gurus dito.  :D ganda nung "Gibson Historic Quilt Top '59 Les Paul Reissue" ah. Hehehe. mga bossing iba ba tlga ang tunog at feel ng mga ganyang guitar? kasi gus2 ko din sana pero parang mapu2nta ako sa ibang mundo kasi sanay ako sa 24fret at naka floyd. Pero kapag nakakakita ako ng ganyang mga kagagandang guitara napapa wow tlga ako.  :biggrin:

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
yung squire ko na strat (maple neck), na-repaint ko dati pero thin lang para kita yung grain tapos madaling ma-relic. ngayon, wla na halos pintura yung "arm-rest", tapos yung fingerboard, umiitim na. narerelic na sya.. :D
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:40:18 AM »
kung bolt-on ang gitara mo, here's a way to "relic" it:  ilagay mo yung body sa freezer for 30-45 minutes, tapos pagkalabas, itapat mo sa heater.  very natural ang magiging dating ng cracks and chips... yun nga lang, di mo alam kung saan madadali.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »
natural relic-ing is fine with me. there's nothing you can do with that. they're sort of like medals and badges you get after a few wars but getting a new guitar made to look old artificially is odd to me. it talks the talk but hasn't walked the walk.

that said, i do have a nash guitars t series wallpaper. :mrgreen:

seems like electric guitarists are the only ones sick like that no? you dont see violin players or even acoustic guitar players going out to buy a brand new but beat up looking instrument...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 01:05:03 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
kung bolt-on ang gitara mo, here's a way to "relic" it:  ilagay mo yung body sa freezer for 30-45 minutes, tapos pagkalabas, itapat mo sa heater.  very natural ang magiging dating ng cracks and chips... yun nga lang, di mo alam kung saan madadali.

Don't you think that would cause the body to change shape?  I won't do that to the neck, but I guess the body will be fine even with the slight deformations that may cause...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 06:11:13 AM »
fan of relic guitars? yeah - as long as they have been played. playing and putting weight on reliced guitars is like collecting guitars for the sake of looks alone. sure, some people do this but I am a guitar player, first and foremost, not a collector. my guitars bruises and usage comes out of actual playing. i thing, that, the actual usage marks, gives me more satisfaction because it shows,"Yeah, I played with this guitar for a long, long time, and yes, I have gotten as much experience as a player as this guitar has had marks put on it."

Just my 2 cents.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 07:42:51 AM »
i dont like em at all BUT  the Rory Gallagher strat is the bomb 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 07:48:07 AM »
maybe
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 01:23:16 AM »
If I want the aged look, I'll buy an old guitar.  How can you call something a "relic" when it is, in fact, not?

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
mas kool pa rin ang strat/tele na i-relic... Gibson LP's are meant to be shiny and beautiful...

ako, basta gitara, the more worn out, the better!!!

i can't wait til this one comes back from arie.  i had it refretted + bone nut and complete rewiring.  yun lang!  syet... no paint left!  roadworthy hehe

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 07:40:11 AM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn

ako, basta gitara, the more worn out, the better!!!

i can't wait till this one comes back from arie.  i had it refretted + bone nut and complete rewiring.  yun lang!  syet... no paint left!  roadworthy hehe

uy, looks family! i'm glad she found a good home. :-)