hulika

Author Topic: If robert johnson played electric...  (Read 1271 times)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
If robert johnson played electric...
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:36:02 PM »
he would play an SG and an OKKO DIABLO pedal 8) but what amp...?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
... eh di Johnson amp! ...  :D

Johnson yata yan! ...

just kidding dude, haven't really heard much from the guy, but I know he's the 'blues devil,' right? Maybe a Blues de Ville then?
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »
wehey ...good call, how bout the dr. z route66 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:46 PM »
Haven't tried the Route 66, but I was able to try a fellow forumite/friend's Carmen Ghia last night, and it was great!

For an 18-watter (or is it 15?), it's got a lot of character. Nice cleans and a versatile tone control. Very minimal tweaking needed. Also, it has some sort of a compressed quality to it, which I like.

But I'm sure it'll sound different with other cabs or cab combos..
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:41 PM »
yeah for something with minimal knobs its a killer line of amps, what guitar were you using?

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 10:06:22 PM »
All we had that night was another friend's Samick Ultramatic PRS copy (another sleeper of a guitar, if I might say so.. nice Les Paul vibe!), and the amp owner's hybrid strat which he assembled himself, Lace Sensor Holy Grails and a nice, nice neck which he got in Singapore daw..

Just wondering, is this your amp of choice? The Route 66? I think I've seem some pics of your gear, and man, I can say you've got good taste, bro! ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:19:36 PM »
i have a gibson GA30rvs tatlong knobs lang, vol, tone at reverb. I try to buy cheap at ive been lucky with what i have. Just a pedal junkie here 8)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:28:55 PM »
Just a Gibson??!?! ...  :D oh boy!! ..

Haven't tried those here. But incidentally, before we tried the Carmen Ghia, we tried out a Trace Elliott Velocette with the 2 speaker config and it sounded superb as well..

Accg. to the owner, apparently the line was sort of the predecessor of some of Gibson's modern-day line of amps (I'm not sure which ones now)

Simple controls din. Just volume, tone and reverb, plus a bright switch yata..

If Robert Johnson played electric, I'm sure he's bound to suffer from 'option anxiety' ...  :D
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »
Gibson bought the velocette line of amps and i ended up with the 2x12 with celestion vintage 30s at may bright  switch and pull gain. Awesome amp pero ambigat, sana binili ko na lang yung 1x12 na 15 watts. Anxiety option nga if ol johnson was still wailing :D