hulika

Author Topic: Anyone here uses the Buzz Feiten tuning system?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline teleleng

Anyone here uses the Buzz Feiten tuning system?
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:08:23 AM »
I always wanted to know if indeed it really keeps the guitar tune perfect from the up/ down the neck...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:09:54 AM by teleleng »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Anyone here uses the Buzz Feiten tuning system?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:26:32 AM »
Three of my current Guitars have them.  Its really a matter of preference.

Yes they are more in tune and are useful for me if you use a lot of distortion.  The whole guitar sounds more smoother.  But the non-Buzz Feiten guitar also has its own sound --best described as a guitar with more angst.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:21:36 AM »
Same here. Three of my guitars have the BFTS. The tuning still isn't perfect but you'll be able to hear less of those sharp notes (especially at the B string) when you play chords. Make sure that you're using a tuner that has an accuracy of +/- 1 cent. Strobe tuners will do. You might want to try Earvana guitar nuts if you want total note perfection. It's made of plastic though, but that is another story...
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
is there someone authorized here in the Phils  to install those? arie?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »
Arie knows how to and I think he had some correspondence with Buzz. 

By the way, as part of a shameless plug, I think I have a mint Earvana Strat nut for sale.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
thanks for the reply. may i just ask, how much for the buzz feiten system?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
my LP has been installed with the feiten system..

sad to say, I'm really not perfect pitch or have too sharp an ear to notice the difference.

I can only notice un-intonated set ups.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:39:26 PM »
Arie knows how to and I think he had some correspondence with Buzz.
i had Arie do it on one of my guitars (the one that died in the flood) and its pretty good.

otoh, I dont really think it should be called the BFTS kasi I dont think Arie is an authorized retrofitter. A more apt name for the service I think would be "Intonation Compenated Nut Relocation" :lol: or "Almost-like-BFTS-or-would-be-BFTS-if-Arie-were-an-authorized-retrofitter"

i'm not saying Arie isn't doing it right, btw. the secret to BFTS isn't really secret anymore anyway. its all over the US patents website. i just dont think its BFTS unless you're an authorized retrofitter.

he does sing great and isnt too shabby a player himself, though. :lol:

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »
i had Arie do it on one of my guitars (the one that died in the flood) and its pretty good.

otoh, I dont really think it should be called the BFTS kasi I dont think Arie is an authorized retrofitter. A more apt name for the service I think would be "Intonation Compenated Nut Relocation" :lol: or "Almost-like-BFTS-or-would-be-BFTS-if-Arie-were-an-authorized-retrofitter"

i'm not saying Arie isn't doing it right, btw. the secret to BFTS isn't really secret anymore anyway. its all over the US patents website. i just dont think its BFTS unless you're an authorized retrofitter.

Is that the one similar to the monte allums e-nut?
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline shredmonster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

how much was it and anu ang shop ni sir arie?

GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!  GO TO DMC!!!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 04:01:32 PM »
Is that the one similar to the monte allums e-nut?
yung concept behind them is similar. although yung idea ng monte allums to cut different individual string compensation is more similar to the earvana.

i actually like the earvana idea better. if only they'd make an earvana shelf nut na bone.
how much was it and anu ang shop ni sir arie?
i cant remember na e. mga 5 or 6 years ago pa yun i think.

Offline teleleng

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »
Thanks for  the reply..So for those who had this system installed in your axes, would you highly recommend putting one or just leave the guitars as it is? Does it really make that big difference and the investement truly worth it in the long run?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »
buzz feiten vs zero fret, im just wondering which one you would go for as a feature in a stock guitar? IMO if it was a mod im going for the BF,

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »
I think the zero fret is impossible to impliment on a non vigier guitar. Youll need a perfectly straight and stable neck.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:58 PM »
I think the zero fret is impossible to impliment on a non vigier guitar. Youll need a perfectly straight and stable neck.

how so? i tried an anderson with it, it function perfectly fine and even my pinoy friends steinberger has one..just wondering if you can explain more on your answer i'd be a good read for everybody (im thinking of doing it on a project strat)

Offline IncX

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »

well, i have it on my washburn vindicator....

and with a guy like me who cant differentiate A from Ab on a taylor swift song (i think its Ab *lol*), i really dont hear much of a difference between the buzz and the non-buzzed guitars.

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »
I was reading somewhere that there are a whole bunch of problems on zero fret guitars (fretting out) etc etc. It would work with a steinberger coz the neck has no truss rod as well.

The problem with zero fret guitars are : The nut is usually very very very very low.. so a slight over bow will result in the guitar fretting out all together. Also, they are normaly set up with very very very very low action and if you dont have a perfect neck, and perfect fret job + humid conditions (where necks move around alot), it becomes difficult to maintain. Thats why most zero fret guitars have carbon fiber or super reinforced necks. Doing a zero on a normal trussed neck is a big big big problem. Possible but more hassle than its worth IMHO.

Anderson probably gets away with it coz hes anderson. Haha

In summary the zero fret is a super finely tuned feature.. and if all the numbers dont match your in for a headache.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »
An e-nut was installed on one of my strats when I got it, but had it reverted to a regular one. Didnt notice any deterioration naman in intonation.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:05:29 AM »
In summary the zero fret is a super finely tuned feature.. and if all the numbers dont match your in for a headache.

i respect that opinon

Anderson probably gets away with it coz hes anderson. Haha

and i also feel biased with that opinion  :lol:

An e-nut was installed on one of my strats when I got it, but had it reverted to a regular one. Didnt notice any deterioration naman in intonation.

all in all if you only play top 3 frets it would matter, but i say nah its like pickles to my burges..doesnt matter lol

FYI i'd like to quote these two guys i found while getting more insights with zero frets

Goatroper:
Zero frets suck. I've been trying for ages to get my fingers inbetween the nut and the 1st fret to play something as easy as open E chord. After 4 years of playing I still can't do it. Sometimes, guitar can be really difficult to play.

Proteus:
Why would anyone want a guitar with zero frets?

Finder and Gisbon advertise guitars with 21 and even 22 frets!!!

How does Gresch think their going to sale guitars with ZERO!?!?! LOL!!!!!!

How can you tell where to pot your fingers?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
Thanks for  the reply..So for those who had this system installed in your axes, would you highly recommend putting one or just leave the guitars as it is? Does it really make that big difference and the investement truly worth it in the long run?
I played a couple of guitars with those BF system...compared to the regular. I believe I would just leave my guitar as original as I can... in case I need to get rid of it in the future. No use in spending money when your guitar is fine as it is. I might as well spend the money for other things.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:41 AM »
No use in spending money when your guitar is fine as it is.

Such is the nature of the electric guitar, you gotta love it inspite of all its imperfections  :-D

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »
Such is the nature of the electric guitar, you gotta love it inspite of all its imperfections  :-D

imperfections is the only absolute fact, as to change is the only thing consistent

next you'll hear guitar companies breeding trees for maximum jaw dropping tone,  :evil:

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:14 AM »
next you'll hear guitar companies breeding trees for maximum jaw dropping tone,  :evil:
  ... that's a good idea for a good business.... go to Brazil ... and buy a piece of the amazon jungle... and harvest those century old trees .... for the most important item in world... guitars.   :lol:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:05 AM »
  ... that's a good idea for a good business.... go to Brazil ... and buy a piece of the amazon jungle... and harvest those century old trees .... for the most important item in world... guitars.   :lol:

if i was in brazil..guitars would be second in my mind..

1st is Brazilian women (not the amazon one's, dont need she hulk genes), i heard they give wood very well  :evil:

next order is taking those exotic woods from them animals(monkeys,birds,insects you name) and create awesome important than nature guitars  :evil:

what about habitat for the animals? of course i have a plan!

unlike mc*Cain and obama, i do..i will make condominiums and apartment complex's for wildlife to live in, it will have HDcable, 24hr -security and the most important factor..their choice of dirt for flooring..

VOTE FOR ME as world tyrant 2020

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
wait, i intonate my guitars, using a tuner, and i test them from the first fret to the 22nd fret, not just open and 12th. on my tuner it says its on perfect intonation all through out,

does it mean my tuner sucks because no guitar has perfect intonation? i dont have buzz feiten and my tuner is a lowly matrix tuner from jb, like 4-5 years ago na yun. 1k+ lang ata un hehe..