hulika

Author Topic: Thickness/Thiness of Shell. How does it affect the sound?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
Thickness/Thiness of Shell. How does it affect the sound?
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
I just want to know and ask which is better in terms of sound, a thick or thin set of shells. How does it affect the sound?

There's one I heard that thin shells are better, there another one saying that it's the other way around. Which is which?

If there's a thread about this, I hope our Mods could help me find it.

Thanks.
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Thickness/Thiness of Shell. How does it affect the sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
the thicker the shell the louder the sound, the thiner the shell the more sensitivity and fullness sound you get.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:01:51 PM by kibohead »

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:59 PM »
the thicker the shell the louder the sound, the thiner the shell the more sensitivity and fullness sound you get.

so does it means, if you want quality sounding drums, the shells should be thin?

Thanks Master Jack!  :-D
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
preference lang siguro man...kaya iba siguro naglalabas ng thinner shells to get the projection easier, pero dpende kasi talaga sa wood. dala ako ng chart nalang warner...pakita ko sayo. kita ko lang sa catalogue ko dati. hehe

Offline zound_tech

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »
galeng sa sonor,

Do you want a full, mellow tone with high volume? Then a Medium or Heavy shell is for you. If you prefer more brilliance and great flexibility in sound then a Vintage or Thin shell is recommended.

ang alam ko nga thick shells mas malakas, pero mas madali mag palabas ng tone sa manipis,
tapos ung mga vintage shells naman, thin shells lang un na mai additional ply sa dalawang dulo, mas maganda daw kasi mas makapal ung contact ng head sa shell pero thin lang ung body nun,
si benny greb naka vintage shell

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »
The thicker the shell, the more you hear only the head. So, given the same heads and tuning, thicker shells tend to sound tighter and have more cut.

The thinner the shell, the more vibration from the shell that can blend with the head's sound. Given same heads and tuning, these will sound rounder and have more character.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline timpanista

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »
eto galing sa pearl

http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Drumsets/Masterworks.aspx

click nyo nlang yung shell thickness. :-P
Pearl Session Custom SMX  Pearl Prestige Session SPX  Roland TD6KW V Drums  Axis A-L2CB Dynasty DFX14

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
Thinner shells are warmer and rounder tone that's why thinner shells are good for recording hence the Gretsch are always on call for the job.

Pearl has my vote for live situations. Their 6ply shell is thicker than Gretsch or tama so it sounds more open and projects well. Also more resonant.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:28:40 AM »
thank you for all your posts.