hulika

Author Topic: Wes wes wes...  (Read 9569 times)

Offline jazhombie

Re: Wes wes wes...
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 08:20:09 AM »
ok din yung rendition nya ng 'round midnight'- bluesy at moody jazz! ganda, i like his note-choice, swak n swak parati walng patapon! :D  :shock:
favorite ko dn un pre memorize ko nga yn eh! biruin mo improvise un lahat no? pg nririning ko tuloy ung improv ko nahihiya ako  s mga wasted notes n pinggagawa ko (kita mo mas mgaling p syng teacher ky sr. valdez)hhahaha joke
malaki influence ni sir.. leyenda bro, sa dahil sa isang bulaklak..dib?hehehe :-D

william251082

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »
ok din yung rendition nya ng 'round midnight'- bluesy at moody jazz! ganda, i like his note-choice, swak n swak parati walng patapon! :D  :shock:
favorite ko dn un pre memorize ko nga yn eh! biruin mo improvise un lahat no? pg nririning ko tuloy ung improv ko nahihiya ako  s mga wasted notes n pinggagawa ko (kita mo mas mgaling p syng teacher ky sr. valdez)hhahaha joke
malaki influence ni sir.. leyenda bro, sa dahil sa isang bulaklak..dib?hehehe :-D
boy to be honest mas mrami p akong ntutunan s 1 year n inaral ko d2 kesa s 4yrs n ginugol ko s women's. natuto ko dn mgswimming in fairness hahaha

william251082

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »
wes i in colored tv!!!
amp;feature=related

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
The link that was placed here is not available in youtube anymore. :(

But william's link is good. :) I think I've watched all the Wes videos in youtube - also have a lot of compilations (both original and ripped) - live in Paris is also great!

I think what made also this musician so great (besides his legendary thumb and fat tune) is that he plays the right notes at the right time. Not always fast, not always slow... just perfect for the music that is playing. And improvised. So good. :-D

Offline brain salad surgery

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
wes' mastery of the fretboard is amazing. he could play those beautiful and amazing lines with effortless abandone.and to think that he started guitar at age 19.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 12:01:13 AM »
Yep! Wes started playing at the age of 19. Pero to be fair to us mortals - he was surrounded with musicians (I think he was raised with a family of musicians.) But back to his legendary stuff - he was able to play professionally at the age of 21 (or 22? I forget now..), on top of having a day job (working in the factory) and a family!

This is my inspiration of practicing during the night - malay ko ba, isang araw maging professional musician rin ako - on top of my day job.  :-D Now I just need to find a family of musicians... Where to find, where to find a new family...

:-D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:44:01 PM by rjtorres »

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
Fafa Wes is insane. His version of "The Days of Wine and Roses" is my all time favorite rendition of that standard.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
Fafa Wes is insane. His version of "The Days of Wine and Roses" is my all time favorite rendition of that standard.

Gusto mo ng transcription nito? Meron akong handwritten transcription nito.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »

hi blues2death.. what u mean by playing octaves?

the "octave" style of playing as demonstrated by the master himself....it starts on 1:13

ganyan din ang ginawa ni eric johnson sa manhattan, east wes.

favorite din ni benson---naging trademark din nya but he readily gives wes montgomery the credit for coming up with this.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
Yep! Wes started playing at the age of 19. Pero to be fair to us mortals - he was surrounded with musicians (I think he was raised with a family of musicians.) But back to his legendary stuff - he was able to play professionally at the age of 21 (or 22? I forget now..), on top of having a day job (working in the mines) and a family!

This is my inspiration of practicing during the night - malay ko ba, isang araw maging professional musician rin ako - on top of my day job.  :-D Now I just need to find a family of musicians... Where to find, where to find a new family...

Ops, ops, ops... Wes never worked in the mines. Factory, yes. Milk company, yes. Mines, no.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »

Ops, ops, ops... Wes never worked in the mines. Factory, yes. Milk company, yes. Mines, no.

Ay ganun ba? Guess I need my history straightened up. :)

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »
Gusto mo ng transcription nito? Meron akong handwritten transcription nito.
Sure sir aya! I'd love that! pa-email sa CarlosJesena@Yahoo.com  :-D Thanks!

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »
Sir Lahed, wala akong scanner. My transcription's written down by hand the old-fashioned way. So it may be better to get it to you the old-fashioned way. Meet tayo somewhere para ibigay ko sa yo.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 03:41:49 AM »
i've got the "alternative wes montgomery", its a comilation of alternative takes on some tunes... great stuff! he's a monster, up their with charlie christian. would've been great if they both lived longer though, christian would've been the uber-father of bebop guitar, wes would've pushed it up another level.

wes' smokey tone was immense! would you guys agree that tal farlowe was the next torch bearer of the jazz guitar flame? i love wes, but i'm flipped out over tal, made me wanna focus more on the craft :)

Tama ka jan bro! siya lang nakita kong nag solo ng puro harminics. Guess you've seen the video " All Strings Attached" w/ Carlton, Coryell, Abercrombie, Scofield & Patittucci on upright bass. Tal brought everyone to school... to bad the master passed away ( fm the big "C" ) on 1998 at the age of 77.

sino na kaya torch bearer ngayon? m out of sa jazz scene...

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47:46 AM »

factory worker ba si Tal? alam ko sign painter siya eh...

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »

factory worker ba si Tal? alam ko sign painter siya eh...

Ummm... basahin mong mabuti ang sinulat ko. Hindi ko binanggit si Tal. Si Wes ang pinag-uusapan.

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »
Ummm... basahin mong mabuti ang sinulat ko. Hindi ko binanggit si Tal. Si Wes ang pinag-uusapan.

oo nga pala no? I got confused... D ko kasi ma imagine na factory worker si Tal... my bad.

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 04:24:35 AM »

oo nga pala no? I got confused... D ko kasi ma imagine na factory worker si Tal... my bad.

Haha, napasok kasi si Tal eh.. gawa nga tayong Tal thread. :)

Pero I agree, Tal is VERY good. Iba talaga. Iba.