hulika

Author Topic: Wes wes wes...  (Read 9570 times)

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
My all-time fave jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery....
search=wes%20montgomery

He's so smooth. Always in the pocket and always hits the right note. :D

Any Wes fanatics here? :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »
i bought incredible jazz guitar 6 months ago and ive been playin it every mornin at work with the volume cranked. Hearing Wes makes me want to learn some jazz 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 01:39:02 AM »
Count me in as another Wes fan ..  :)

Jazz guitar wouldn't be the same without Wes' trademark octave flurries - and you can hear it from Benson to Johnson to Vai ..

Man, those youtube clips are really priceless! I must say that I've never seen   any of his clips before, so watching all these just recently was something short of a jaw-dropping experience ..

And the big question still remains: how the **** does he play those fast lines with his thumb?!?!?! Life ain't fair, is it?  :)

I just wonder why Wes' tone varies so much from album to album. At times, he'd sound overly bright and tinny; sometimes, he'd get that perfect, nasal jazz honk ... I guess it was the inconsistent technology at the time

But even with those minor snags, Wes' playing is always an eye- or ear-opener, if I may say so ..

It's always a humbling experience to listen to someone who can make so much music with just a guitar and amp - no pedals, no tricks. Makes you re-think your guitar philosophies ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline darnel

Wes wes wes...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »
just wonder why Wes' tone varies so much from album to album. At times, he'd sound overly bright and tinny; sometimes, he'd get that perfect, nasal jazz honk ... I guess it was the inconsistent technology at the time

Though he favors using his L5, wes played a lot of other Gibson models such as an L4 with a charlie christian pup, a 175 (Incredible Jazz Guitar), a 125 D and an L7... for amps, wes earlier preferred Fender tube amps (deluxe). Wes later swiched to Standel custom solid state amps and altered between these and the Fender amps during the remainder of his career..

sayang talaga c wes, maaga namatay, wished he had collaborated more with other jazz giants at that time ( miles, coltrane, rollins, evans)

Though the incredible jazz guitar has always been on top of everyones playlist, wes made a couple of smoking albums in an organ trio setup which has become a template of how an organ trio (guitar, organ, drums) should be played
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 07:26:20 PM »
patay na siya?

tsktsk di ko alam yun ah..
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
Count me in as another Wes fan ..  :)
It's always a humbling experience to listen to someone who can make so much music with just a guitar and amp - no pedals, no tricks. Makes you re-think your guitar philosophies ..

Correct a dyan! :D

He made me "rethink" somehow actually.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »
Napakinggan nyo na ba yung rendition nya ng How Insensitive?

Ganda rin. :D

Offline nardski

Wes wes wes...
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 03:20:51 AM »
wes fan ka din? hehehe meron ako yung only concert na may video nya live in belgium 1969... kung may kilala ka na kayang ilipat sa vcd or dvd i-message mo ako.. bigyan kita kopya...yung video na nasa youtube sa belgium yun :wink:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 09:48:17 AM »
i've got the "alternative wes montgomery", its a comilation of alternative takes on some tunes... great stuff! he's a monster, up their with charlie christian. would've been great if they both lived longer though, christian would've been the uber-father of bebop guitar, wes would've pushed it up another level.

wes' smokey tone was immense! would you guys agree that tal farlowe was the next torch bearer of the jazz guitar flame? i love wes, but i'm flipped out over tal, made me wanna focus more on the craft :)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 10:28:11 AM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
i've got the "alternative wes montgomery", its a comilation of alternative takes on some tunes... great stuff! he's a monster, up their with charlie christian. would've been great if they both lived longer though, christian would've been the uber-father of bebop guitar, wes would've pushed it up another level.

wes' smokey tone was immense! would you guys agree that tal farlowe was the next torch bearer of the jazz guitar flame? i love wes, but i'm flipped out over tal, made me wanna focus more on the craft :)

i love both. one thing they have in common is their thumbs:  wes has the amazing right thumb for smooth picking. tal has the amazing left thumb for fretting almost half of the fretboard!

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 03:24:06 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim
Quote from: psychic_sushi

i love both. one thing they have in common is their thumbs:  wes has the amazing right thumb for smooth picking. tal has the amazing left thumb for fretting almost half of the fretboard!

oh yeah! the thumb, that's what gave those folks the upper hand ;) i wish i was better with my thumb technique on my right hand, i'm so chicken-jazz!

i love the lyricism in wes' lines, the notes flow so naturally and beautifully, like water from a mountain top...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline no_worries

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »
i'd have to say that he's a real virtuoso

self taught and ,correct me if I'm wrong, he learned playing at a late age. But he still managed do good at it.

we have a copy of the "finest hour" album, mostly big band/swing type jazz. but i'd have to say his trio work would be the best. buong buo ang tunog and this is music in it's most raw and finest.

:D
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Gandhi

Offline jazhombie

4 on six
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:27 AM »
try to listen to 4 on6... it's really melodic and boppy...

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 4 on six
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 01:41:12 AM »
Quote from: jazhombie
try to listen to 4 on6... it's really melodic and boppy...

Ganda nyan! :D

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 10:42:49 AM »
wes fanatic din ako haha..lufet!

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »
mga na influence ni wes montgomery---particularly his octave playing..

east wes and manhattan--ej

boy frrom seattle--steve vai

third stone from the sun---hendrix....

virtually everyone who played octaves man! :)

grabe,indirect or direct as guitar players we're all influenced by wes somehow.. :P

just like the string bends of BB King... :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline jazhombie

Wes wes wes...
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »
ok din yung rendition nya ng 'round midnight'- bluesy at moody jazz! ganda, i like his note-choice, swak n swak parati walng patapon! :D  :shock:

Offline bluebossa

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 05:13:45 PM »
ganda ng misty niya tsaka favorite things :D

Offline FullofEbak

Wes wes wes...
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
mga na influence ni wes montgomery---particularly his octave playing..

east wes and manhattan--ej

boy frrom seattle--steve vai

third stone from the sun---hendrix....

virtually everyone who played octaves man! :)

grabe,indirect or direct as guitar players we're all influenced by wes somehow.. :P

just like the string bends of BB King... :lol:

hi blues2death.. what u mean by playing octaves?

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
Wes wes wes...
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 12:41:53 PM »
c george benson din pati mga  old licks imitation ni wes..hehe
the GIBLET GRAVY album haha
hey blue bossa kilala mo s lester db?taga uste k rin b?

william251082

Re: Wes wes wes...
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »
me too a wes fan especially d incredible jazz guitar.

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 12:43:27 AM »
me too a wes fan especially d incredible jazz guitar.
bro i thought ur a fan of mang tata sa women's?d b nagpapa modify pa tau ng classical guitar dun..hehe peace! :-D

william251082

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 04:40:33 AM »
oo pre sya dn idol ko, d lng tumagal ung gitara n binili ko s knya, nsira nung european tour, biruin mo ndaganan lng ng mga maleta nasira n! hahaha

william251082

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 04:56:42 AM »
may jazz education b s philippines?

william251082

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 05:31:41 AM »
ok din yung rendition nya ng 'round midnight'- bluesy at moody jazz! ganda, i like his note-choice, swak n swak parati walng patapon! :D  :shock:
favorite ko dn un pre memorize ko nga yn eh! biruin mo improvise un lahat no? pg nririning ko tuloy ung improv ko nahihiya ako  s mga wasted notes n pinggagawa ko (kita mo mas mgaling p syng teacher ky sr. valdez)hhahaha joke