hulika

Author Topic: Here's how you remove rust from polepieces...  (Read 3698 times)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
Here's how you remove rust from polepieces...
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
Okay, this has been an age old question dito sa GC. And i've got answers for it. I just want to share this. I emailed Dimarzio to ask what I should do to remove the rust on the pole pieces of my Tone Zone humbucker (kahit wala pang rust talaga  :lol:).

Here's what they told me.

1. Rub naval jelly (rust remover) on the pole pieces. This would only remove the rust present on the pole pieces.

2. To prevent it from accumulating rust again, coat the exposed portions of the pole piece with oil.

3. Any clear, light oil such as sewing machine oil can be used. WD40 can also be used, but don't soak the pickup.

4. Apply the WD-40 to a cotton swab, then coat the  exposed part of the polepiece with it.

5. Another option, is to replace the pole pieces. Good luck nalang, sa paghanap ng pole pieces dito sa Pinas. It's the expensive alternative.

Ayun. So sana this can help you guys kung medyo naiirita kayo sa rust sa pickups. Honestly, ayoko din ng may rust sa pickups, though hindi naman nakakaapekto masyado sa performance ng pickup yun. It adds a bit of mojo sa guitar.  :-)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:46:48 PM by cayle »

Offline BenjieMusic

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Removing rust on a pickup's polepiece
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »
nice info cayle. ayan may dagdag kaalaman na naman ako  :lol:

Like Us On Facebook! "Buttercircus Project"  facebook.com/buttercircusproject

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Here's how you remove rust from polepieces...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:23 AM »
Okay, this has been an age old question dito sa GC. And i've got answers for it. I just want to share this. I emailed Dimarzio to ask what I should do to remove the rust on the pole pieces of my Tone Zone humbucker (kahit wala pang rust talaga  :lol:).

Here's what they told me.

1. Rub naval jelly (rust remover) on the pole pieces. This would only remove the rust present on the pole pieces.

2. To prevent it from accumulating rust again, coat the exposed portions of the pole piece with oil.

3. Any clear, light oil such as sewing machine oil can be used. WD40 can also be used, but don't soak the pickup.

SAKTO to bro thanks a lot :-D :-D

4. Apply the WD-40 to a cotton swab, then coat the  exposed part of the polepiece with it.

5. Another option, is to replace the pole pieces. Good luck nalang, sa paghanap ng pole pieces dito sa Pinas. It's the expensive alternative.

Ayun. So sana this can help you guys kung medyo naiirita kayo sa rust sa pickups. Honestly, ayoko din ng may rust sa pickups, though hindi naman nakakaapekto masyado sa performance ng pickup yun. It adds a bit of mojo sa guitar.  :-)

references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline bhaahchico

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
hmm thanks you sir try ko maya paggising ko medyo takot kasi ako baka masira sa oil d naman pala.. thanks :wink:

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
hmm thanks you sir try ko maya paggising ko medyo takot kasi ako baka masira sa oil d naman pala.. thanks :wink:

Di naman. Just don't soak the pickupon oil. :lol:

Offline paranoid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »
Hassle talaga ang paglinis ng pole pieces when I still have my super strat. I use sand paper and WD40 to remove the rust.

Ngayon buti na lang nakasoapbar pickups yung guitar ko. :-D

Offline rukero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:08 AM »
This is informative. Thanks for the share.  I'll keep this in mind for any future need
Fender HWY1 Texas Tele, Polytune, Chi Wah Wah, Musket, Boiling Point, Fetto, FD2, Small Clone, Echo Park, DMM, Diamond Trem, JamMan Solo, Marshall 2x75w

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »
Hassle talaga ang paglinis ng pole pieces when I still have my super strat. I use sand paper and WD40 to remove the rust.

I never tried to use sandpaper, though hindi naman masama. Yung dust lang kasi, pupunta sa loob ng pickups, unless tatanggalin mo yung pole piece before sanding. I've tried the WD40 thing, with a cotton swab. Works well.  :-)

This is informative. Thanks for the share.  I'll keep this in mind for any future need

Thanks man! I'm glad to help.

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »
I find this thread helpful and informative. Angat natin to!
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline firewaterjem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 10:33:58 PM »

ano ba ang "naval jelly"?

jelly para sa pusod?   :roll:

magkaiba ba ito sa petroleum jelly?  :?

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
^^^ I have no idea. haha. Siguro naman meron sa hardware stores niyan.

From ehow.com
Naval jelly is a product which is commonly used for rust removal. The product is available at most local hardware stores, and it can be ordered online from certain retailers.

What it is
   1. Naval jelly is basically a gel solution that has been infused with phosphoric acid. The gel form makes it functional for removing set-in rust stains, and it retains the properties of phosphoric acid.
      How it works
   2. When placed on a rust stain, the phosphoric acid interacts with the iron oxide in rust. The interaction transforms it into iron phosphate, a substance that can be easily removed.
      How to use
   3. The Loctite products Website for naval jelly states that you can simply brush the gel on, watch the rust dissolve and rinse it off.
      Benefits
   4. Using naval jelly to remove rust can extend the life of mechanical parts. Removing rust and making regular repairs can make machines last years longer.
      Dangers
   5. As with all chemical products, be sure to wear protective clothing such as gloves and goggles when using naval jelly to decrease the risk of injury from exposure.

Here's also a good read on how to apply naval jelly to remove rust..

http://www.ehow.com/how_4465030_remove-rust-naval-jelly.html

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
From my experience, a little WipeOut can also remove rust from pickup poles. Use a cotton bud to apply a dab and rub. Cheap too.

Offline Crimson22

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
From my experience, a little WipeOut can also remove rust from pickup poles. Use a cotton bud to apply a dab and rub. Cheap too.

San makakabili ng WipeOut sir??
Effective ba yan??

Eh yung naval jelly kaya san makakabili?? hehehe

Dami tanong  :-D

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Try your nearest grocery or hardware store...

San makakabili ng WipeOut sir??
Dami tanong  :-D

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »

Yikes! The metal dust would stick to the pole pieces. That's gonna be added work for you.

Actually, oil lengthens the life of metal components.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

heavensgraveyard

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
natakot pa ako..heheh now ok pala gamitin ang oil..any alternative rust remover other than wd40 or ung kung ano man yun?hehehe yung tipong laging nakikita sa bahay?hehehethanks sir..