hulika

Author Topic: Little known tips on guitar  (Read 5913 times)

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Little known tips on guitar
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:38:30 AM »
I posted this tip in the "other" forum hosted by the company that is the official distributor of a guitar brand that features a spaghetti logo.

The dial tone of a phone is a standard A. So, if you need to tune your guitar and you don't have a tuner or a piano, pick up the phone and listen.

Of course, I can also play Mary Had A Little Lamb on the phone too.  :lol:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:36:30 AM »
kaya ko tugtugin yung dating melody ng PLDT sa commercial nila! hahahahaha it goes like 321 6312 321 21?1

Bat yung samin G flat?

EDIT: A flat pala

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:11:06 AM »
Quote from: renz_sui
kaya ko tugtugin yung dating melody ng PLDT sa commercial nila! hahahahaha it goes like 321 6312 321 21?1

Bat yung samin G flat?

... baka hindi intonated ng tama? :-)  (naku baka may bumanat dito na "dalin mo kay arie kasi ruler method ata yang pinang-intonate dyan" ;-))

ako heto... not much of a secret but prolly useful for newbies: preamp tubes are the most critical, least expensive, dramatic and effective tonal "mod" you can do for your amp. tested and proven ko na to with the tube amps i've had.  however, preamp tubes have specs such as transconductance that are important and a manufacturing tolerance range too. if you feel your tube amp is out of character (or whack!), try going through a bunch of preamp tubes.  NOS tubes have closer tolerances w/ published spec and better transconductance.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:52:06 AM »
Quote from: renz_sui

Bat yung samin G flat?

Baka rotary ang phone mo.  :P

Another tip (although I have posted this before):

When putting the guitar in long storage in a case or bag, try placing a "silica gel" pack. You can find these when you buy some electronics. This absorbs the moisture. I once had a guitar in a hard case for more than 8 months. The strings didn't rust. Of course, I replaced the strings once I got out the guitar but the at least my frets and pickguard didn't have any rust stains.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:07:22 AM »
Wow! thanx heaps for the head candy, this is really cool stuff :) i can do the philip morris tv ad theme on the phone ;) heheheh
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:32:57 AM »
Did you know the easiest way to avoid premature string breakage on a Strat's saddles?  Yun tipong napuputol siya sa point of contact sa saddle?

All you need is a PENCIL.  You must "write" on the surface of the saddle that touches the strings before restringing.  You're adding some lead particles in the process.  Works well for me....

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:06:31 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Did you know the easiest way to avoid premature string breakage on a Strat's saddles?  Yun tipong napuputol siya sa point of contact sa saddle?

All you need is a PENCIL.  You must "write" on the surface of the saddle that touches the strings before restringing.  You're adding some lead particles in the process.  Works well for me....

another pencil tip, for non locking nuts. shade the nut slots when restringing. makes the nut more slippery and keeps the string from binding. makes it easier to tune up and makes it less likely for your strings to go out of tune when using the trem.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:31:07 PM »
The DTMF tones on a touch tone fone for each number are two tones played consecutively.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:32:34 PM »
a more effective way to string your guitar:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

the "knot" acts as a lock which prevents the string from slipping. the pre-measured extra string length will ensure that the downward angle of the string is sufficient to hold the string at the nut with minimum slack at the windings. especially useful for people with strats and other vintage trems but have non-locking tuners.

for some strat-styles and copies, removing the 4 inner trem pivot screws and string tree, and ensuring that the nut is cut properly (no more than 2 mm should make contact with the string nearest the fretboard) will allow you to execute divebombs and anything short of a locking trem's capabilities without going out of tune.

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:46:13 PM »
I got this from Carl Verheyen thru e-mail

Verheyen Stratocaster Tremolo Setup

1)At the heart of the setup is the angle of the claw in the back of the spring compartment. Use 3 springs pulling straight from the block to the claw, left, right and center. Begin by adjusting the 2 screws of the claw so that the G string pulls up a minor 3rd. This will make the B string rise a whole step and the E string a half step.
2)Realize that the high strings pull the least tension so the springs on the treble side should pull the most tension and be tighter.
3)The low strings have the most tension so the springs on the bass side should be looser.
4)This is done by adjusting the angle of the claw, but keeping the G string minor 3rd interval constant.  Your claw will be on a slight angle when it’s balanced. This angle will be toward the neck from the bass to the treble side.
5)When all is right and balanced between springs and strings, the Am7 barre chord on the 5th fret should sound like it is descending musically to an Abm7. It won't be perfect......but it's a very musical sound you're after.
6)I use some kind of lube....."Nut Sauce" or a Teflon lube product sold in electronic shops for under the strings in the nut slots.

Good luck with your music,
Carl Verheyen

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 07:57:14 PM »
Quote from: nicemusic

1)At the heart of the setup is the angle of the claw in the back of the spring compartment. Use 3 springs pulling straight from the block to the claw, left, right and center. Begin by adjusting the 2 screws of the claw so that the G string pulls up a minor 3rd. This will make the B string rise a whole step and the E string a half step.
2)Realize that the high strings pull the least tension so the springs on the treble side should pull the most tension and be tighter.
3)The low strings have the most tension so the springs on the bass side should be looser.
4)This is done by adjusting the angle of the claw, but keeping the G string minor 3rd interval constant.  Your claw will be on a slight angle when it’s balanced. This angle will be toward the neck from the bass to the treble side.
5)When all is right and balanced between springs and strings, the Am7 barre chord on the 5th fret should sound like it is descending musically to an Abm7. It won't be perfect......but it's a very musical sound you're after.
6)I use some kind of lube....."Nut Sauce" or a Teflon lube product sold in electronic shops for under the strings in the nut slots.

Carl Verheyen

great tip nicemusic! masubukan nga. :D

wouldn't putting the middle spring closer to the high e string/spring have the same net effect? ganyan ang spring configuration ni eric johnson e, always wondered why he offset his middle spring by one slot.

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »
It may be the reason :roll:

Due to the guage and tension ng springs, a floating bridge would have an uneven tension sa bridge posts thus the reason they do this...

Its a bit tricky at first but youll soon get the hang of setting it...

With this setup please be sure to carry another guitar as a back up during gigs...

you'll never know when you'll break a string :wink:

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
....be sure to carry another guitar as a back up during gigs...

you'll never know when you'll break a string :wink:

This is not a little known guitar tip. It's a commonly ignored guitar tip, particularly by us third world guitar players. :lol:

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 09:57:48 PM »
maligaw lang ng konti: seriously, how many gigs here pay enough to justify bringing along a backup guitar? hehe medyo hassle yan lalo na kung wala kang kotse. unless sobrang mahal mo yung audience and/or music, di ka na magdadala ng backup.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 11:54:34 PM »

Carl Verheyen

floating bridge lang ba yan? or kahit hindi?

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
strat trem taoist...

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 12:02:09 AM »
aaahhh sir correct me if i'm mistaken. :oops:  i've read somewhere na ang standard setup for a strat trem ay floating? kaso gusto ko lapat sa body yung trem. would i still benefit from this kind of setup? thanks

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 01:17:12 AM »
Always tune up, never down.  When changing to a fresh set of strings, fret the string around the third fret, give the string a gentle pull around the 12th fret (away from the guitar) to give it a good stretch.  This way, the ball ends will be snuggly seated inside the bridge block or tail piece - reducing the chances of movement and getting out of tune.

Offline Darktwistedmind

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 01:43:02 AM »
I know I have read this before...

Never bring your favorite guitar in any INUMAN session. I bring my Pampanga made guitar sa inuman (pede panghataw kung may lasing na makulit) :twisted:
"If you don't know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it."                  — Oprah Winfrey

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 09:01:06 AM »
Quote from: Darktwistedmind

Never bring your favorite guitar in any INUMAN session. I bring my Pampanga made guitar sa inuman (pede panghataw kung may lasing na makulit) :twisted:

Good idea! and if it gets busted, we won't have to wait for the ara mina guitar to be sold for them to receive "housing" ;) you can buy another to keep them in business.

sorry for the OT, that blasted P100,000 ara mina guitar bullcr@p really peed me off  :madstick:

here's another tip, but for your acoustic:

drop garlic in the soundbox. it helps absorb the humidity that can get locked up inside. smells ok too. i've always done this with my acoustics, info from my dad who's been playing guitar since time immemorial.

Ron Kirn

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
drop garlic in the soundbox. it helps absorb the humidity that can get locked up inside. smells ok too. i've always done this with my acoustics, info from my dad who's been playing guitar since time immemorial.

ok lang kahit naka-store sa loob ng hardcase yung acoustic?
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
Quote from: Taoistguitarist
aaahhh sir correct me if i'm mistaken. :oops:  i've read somewhere na ang standard setup for a strat trem ay floating? kaso gusto ko lapat sa body yung trem. would i still benefit from this kind of setup? thanks

I dont think you need to do the Carl Verheyen setup if you want your bridge seated sa body ng guitar mo. The best you can do is like Eric Claptons setup na nakalapat yun bridge block sa body and tight yung screws na halos sagad sa body. That way your bridge wont move.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »
Quote from: superoxy

ok lang kahit naka-store sa loob ng hardcase yung acoustic?

yup, sure is! you'll have a garlic guitar case. it doesn't smell so bad. boy bawang fanatics might wanna eat your guitar, so be careful. ;)

Ron Kirn

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 12:23:05 PM »
Quote from: radimere
maligaw lang ng konti: seriously, how many gigs here pay enough to justify bringing along a backup guitar? hehe medyo hassle yan lalo na kung wala kang kotse. unless sobrang mahal mo yung audience and/or music, di ka na magdadala ng backup.

True. probably in the case of a 3rd world guy like me, a backup set of strings  probably would suffice :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
Quote from: Darktwistedmind

Good idea! and if it gets busted, we won't have to wait for the ara mina guitar to be sold for them to receive "housing" ;) you can buy another to keep them in business.

sorry for the OT, that blasted P100,000 ara mina guitar bullcr@p really peed me off  :madstick:

here's another tip, but for your acoustic:

wont' garlic be moldy after some time?