hulika

Author Topic: A response to the Chronicles...  (Read 2785 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
A response to the Chronicles...
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:44:52 PM »
I just read it and the only thing I have to say is: wow. Absolutely. Bloody. Wow.

My 2 cents: As an engineer, scientist, and musician, I regularly come in contact with people of all walks of life looking to speak the "geek speak." Sure, the degrees of the geekiness varies but it all depends on how much weight people put on the innards of their gear. Personally, I put SOME weight in the design because I have an engineering background and i am quite the curious bloke, however, as a musician, first and foremost - I focus on how the gear sounds because everything has their characteristic sound. Of course a Twin can't sound like a Plexi - it doesn't take a PhD to tell you that!

And, to ask, outright, if your FINGERS make one amp sound like another as a rebuttal is just, well, elementary (and simplistic) as far as arguments go.

'twas a good read, though. I admit that. I was very, very amused especially with the points made under intonation and the tone = money equation. A talman not being musical? Talmans are probably made out of Alder, maybe Ash - the very same stuff a LOT of strats are made out of. Setting the intonation has nothing to do with the body wood. Rather, this is a resonance property because alder resonates differently than, say, mahogany, my wood of choice. Intonation depends on how the parts of the guitar are set up to help the guitar resonate properly as a whole piece. Also, I was very drawn to the claims of the inability to record. Now, I have played and recorded in a variety of situations and settings. From experience, none of the players I know will ever claim that recording media - digital or analog - will never be able to capture the character of an amp. THAT is complete cr@p and anyone worth his salt as an engineer knows this.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:56:45 PM »
was it something like a G O S P E L :shock: ....revelatory?
Should i subscribe :shock:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »
i would recommend it. its a valuable resource for anyone who has ever been on the gigging circuit and met a variety of musicians. the insight and opinion compares well to my experiences as a musician, and validates some of the reality that, i think, is relevant to being a musician.

a gospel? nah. its revealing, thats for sure. the compilation of the "history" the man has had on the forum is quite entertaining. i dunno about others but i value specific things as a musician but skill and practice to find your own voice has to be at the top of the pile.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:42:04 AM »
"2 thumbs up ...your ass that is." 8)
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 04:44:59 AM »
very entertaining...kakatawa yun mga comments...seems to me that it all goes down to how much your gear is...yadda...yadda...yadda...hehehe... great stuff sir al...id be waiting for the next chapter...and the next... 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
Re: A response to the Chronicles...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
'twas a good read, though. I admit that. I was very, very amused especially with the points made under intonation and the tone = money equation. A talman not being musical? Talmans are probably made out of Alder, maybe Ash - the very same stuff a LOT of strats are made out of. Setting the intonation has nothing to do with the body wood. Rather, this is a resonance property because alder resonates differently than, say, mahogany, my wood of choice. Intonation depends on how the parts of the guitar are set up to help the guitar resonate properly as a whole piece.

Sir I believe the Talman i have is made of resoncast, and from my research its a type of laminated wood, so i guess its not even solid wood. I honestly wasnst bothered by Oas' comments about my guitar not being magical enough and all those things, and i will not change my guitar coz this is the best guitar that my limited budget can afford. I'm making the most out of it and im really happy with my talman. Natawa lang ako sa sinabi nya na palitan ko daw yung guitar, parang ganun ka bilis lang mgka bagong guitar eh noh? Hehehe.. :)

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:29:38 AM »
i liked that one re: Poundcake asking about amps.

he says if you can spend 95K on a peavey why not save some more and buy a bowww-teeek amp?

that's like saying.. hmm let's see.. you can afford a honda... save some more and buy a bentley..  :roll:

or instead of buying that nice house.. why not save a bit more.. and get a mansion.. oh boy!  :roll:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »
Quote from: Phil
"2 thumbs up ...your ass that is." 8)

para sa akin ba yan pareng Phil? Ehhhhh....like Rex Navarette says when he watches his bomba films and splooges at the wrong scene: I am a not a gay! Hihihihi...

Ohh...resoncast? I've never heard of that. But if it is a type of design Ibanez gives layered wood bodies for a lighter feel then I imagine I have an idea of how it might weigh. I still think it is odd though that Oas would say it isn't magical or musical enough, I mean, it IS a guitar and if you know how to work it then it is musical, right? A cowbell or a block of wood may just be a block of wood or a piece of rolled metal but if you can make use of its sound properties then you can make it as musical as you want.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 09:50:41 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
i liked that one re: Poundcake asking about amps.

he says if you can spend 95K on a peavey why not save some more and buy a bowww-teeek amp?

that's like saying.. hmm let's see.. you can afford a honda... save some more and buy a bentley..  :roll:

or instead of buying that nice house.. why not save a bit more.. and get a mansion.. oh boy!  :roll:

hehe.. oo nga e. saka na yung bowteek amp pag proportional na yung skill ko sa price ng mga yun. or pag sumikat man yung banda ko... ahehehe!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline ericbaquiran

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »
Ohh...resoncast? I've never heard of that. But if it is a type of design Ibanez gives layered wood bodies for a lighter feel then I imagine I have an idea of how it might weigh. I still think it is odd though that Oas would say it isn't magical or musical enough, I mean, it IS a guitar and if you know how to work it then it is musical, right? A cowbell or a block of wood may just be a block of wood or a piece of rolled metal but if you can make use of its sound properties then you can make it as musical as you want.

Actually, resoncast is just another name for MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard).  Danelectros have been made out of that stuff for years before Ibanez tried it on a few RG models and Talmans during the late 90's.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »
Ah, now it makes sense. I am very familiar with MDF. Wow, I never knew people made guitars out of that stuff. I always though they were mainly just for speaker cabs, pedal boards, and furniture. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 11:26:17 AM »
it still doesn't answer why it shouldn't be "musical enough" though.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 06:33:47 PM »
Quote from: ericbaquiran

Actually, resoncast is just another name for MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard).  Danelectros have been made out of that stuff for years before Ibanez tried it on a few RG models and Talmans during the late 90's.

So is MDF synomous to plywood? If it is i wonder why its kinda heavy.. Solid wood or not it sounds pretty "musical" to me. It actually has a nice dark, hollow tone that i really dig. Why isnt it "musical enough"? Well that depends on the user of the guitar isnt it? :)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
Parang sex!!!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »
ang tagal naman magbigay ng response ni oasgomez, baka wala ng pang-internet  :lol:

anyway, i'm sure may updates sya sa mga nangyayari dito sa philmusic, hehehehe...
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 06:47:28 PM »
So is MDF synomous to plywood?

No.

Plyboard is basically made of thin sheets of wood bound together. MDF or particle board is made of pulp, shavings, sawdust and the like bound by some resin, not so much unlike how they make paper.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 05:14:07 AM »
guysss pleaseee!!!!!!  :twisted:

kailangan daw.. "magical wood"!

and i... quote:

Quote from: oasgomez
The wood is just not magical enough to give you sustain.
[/quote]

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 07:57:07 AM »
well.... it did take a "magic" ruler to get it intonated properly. :mrgreen:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox
guysss pleaseee!!!!!!  :twisted:

kailangan daw.. "magical wood"!

and i... quote:

Quote from: oasgomez
The wood is just not magical enough to give you sustain.
[/quote]

Pre, meron akong supplier nyan. Imported direct from Encantadia and Saladin. Panalo to pre. The wood really "sings". Hahaheehhe
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 11:11:14 AM »
i can't answer why something would not be musical whether or not its made out of REAL wood or something like MDF. the way I see this argument, if the guitar body resonates and the player can harness the wood's characteristic tone, then hey, i say its magical and musical.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
Quote from: Machine_Head

So is MDF synomous to plywood? If it is i wonder why its kinda heavy.. Solid wood or not it sounds pretty "musical" to me. It actually has a nice dark, hollow tone that i really dig. Why isnt it "musical enough"? Well that depends on the user of the guitar isnt it? :)

nothing is musical enough when oas is playing because he can't play... so, he just buys and buys and let somebody else play it.

MDF is heavier than solid wood in most cases... that's why there's not to many manufacturers who makes amps out of MDF... of course there's an argument by oas that MDF in an amp is crap versus solid wood or plywood (most manufacturers use 13ply birch) but it's actually just preference or that because we are used to hearing sounds from this kind of amp...

MDF is not bad per se be it in a guitar or amp... and no way that MDF cannot be musical... because being musical is way more than the body/frame material on your guitar/amp... but then again, oas could never understand this because he knows nothing about playing music and being musical.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."