hulika

Author Topic: Entwistle Pickups  (Read 120982 times)

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Entwistle Pickups
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
Finally!!! I got my hands on an Entwistle Darkstar Pickups Bridge and Neck installed in my guitar with an Agathis body and this is what I have to say:
Bridge: The overall sound is like a tight-bassy-chuggy-in-your-face pickup that just screams when you put distortion on it(and the gain is not even near 12oclock yet) and the characteristic is really bright but clean enough to have a really nice clean almost "jazzy" twang to it(since there was another guy checking out the Aria guitar model with the Darkstar's installed, he was sort off playing a jazzy tune to my ears)
Neck: At first to me, when I changed the pickup position, I hardly found any difference to it, until I re-setup my guitar since I had no time to really tweak i in the store, I am amazed on how clear and bassy it sound to me, almost the opposite of what I expected since the bridge pickup is punchy and is tighter than the neck pickup
Overall I love these pickups and how they sound, I am really satisfied since I found my sound in these babies, to all who have questions regarding the pickups, I suggest you try them out for yourself since everyone has a difference preference, like me and to my ears, these are the perfect pickups that I found that matched my guitar and playing style
if your going to TMS Cubao, ask for Kuya Abe, or Abe, wag niyo raw i sir kasi di kayo papansinin nun haha
 :-D
btw, I tested the pickups with the normalflat EQ and my EQ which is full bass, half mid or depending on the amp and full treble and 9oclock gain to full gain(depending on my mood :evil:)

next time, im getting a HDN for my Basswood guitar :-)
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
^^

Free installation pa din ba sa TMS Ali Mall?  :-)
Google is your friend.

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »
^^

Free installation pa din ba sa TMS Ali Mall?  :-)
yes if the guy who installs it is there, dont know his sched but im pretty sure he is always there monday :-)
look for Kuya Abe or Abe, wag niyo raw i sir siya, Abe nalang daw hahahahah :-)

Offline jerc_mirza

« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
Finally!!! I got my hands on an Entwistle Darkstar Pickups Bridge and Neck installed in my guitar with an Agathis body and this is what I have to say:
Bridge: The overall sound is like a tight-bassy-chuggy-in-your-face pickup that just screams when you put distortion on it(and the gain is not even near 12oclock yet) and the characteristic is really bright but clean enough to have a really nice clean almost "jazzy" twang to it(since there was another guy checking out the Aria guitar model with the Darkstar's installed, he was sort off playing a jazzy tune to my ears)
Neck: At first to me, when I changed the pickup position, I hardly found any difference to it, until I re-setup my guitar since I had no time to really tweak i in the store, I am amazed on how clear and bassy it sound to me, almost the opposite of what I expected since the bridge pickup is punchy and is tighter than the neck pickup
Overall I love these pickups and how they sound, I am really satisfied since I found my sound in these babies, to all who have questions regarding the pickups, I suggest you try them out for yourself since everyone has a difference preference, like me and to my ears, these are the perfect pickups that I found that matched my guitar and playing style
if your going to TMS Cubao, ask for Kuya Abe, or Abe, wag niyo raw i sir kasi di kayo papansinin nun haha
btw, I tested the pickups with the normalflat EQ and my EQ which is full bass, half mid or depending on the amp and full treble and 9oclock gain to full gain(depending on my mood :evil:)

Nice feedback..sir..I'll give it a try. sana may stock pa..Thanks!

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
yes if the guy who installs it is there, dont know his sched but im pretty sure he is always there monday :-)
look for Kuya Abe or Abe, wag niyo raw i sir siya, Abe nalang daw hahahahah :-)

would you know if that kuya abe drops by SPL in Raon? that's good news kung free installation ulit sa kanila...
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
Nice feedback..sir..I'll give it a try. sana may stock pa..Thanks!
They mentioned something to me regarding the pickups they are selling:
"Darating mga orders namin this Friday(tom.), pickups bonanza na sir!" :-D
so check it out tom. around the afternoon, they have their shipments coming in Cubao tom. afternoon :-)
would you know if that kuya abe drops by SPL in Raon? that's good news kung free installation ulit sa kanila...
sir Abe nalang daw hahaha :lol: uh no sir, i think sa TMS Cubao lang talaga siya :-)

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »

nice review sir.. We're getting the same Darkstar experience...  :-D

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
nice review sir.. We're getting the same Darkstar experience...  :-D
your welcome sir :-D
im also gonna get HDN's if i get my Christmas early :-D

(sadly, I miss my old tone :cry:, but I love my new tone even better :lol:)

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »
your welcome sir :-D
im also gonna get HDN's if i get my Christmas early :-D

(sadly, I miss my old tone :cry:, but I love my new tone even better :lol:)
Kung may compressor pedal ka, benta mo na. Alam ko kasi compressed na yung Darkstar at HDN natin.. Gusto ko nga itry sa transparent distortions tong Darkstar.. tignan ko kung magcclean xa kapag binabaan ko yung volume ng guitar ko..

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Kung may compressor pedal ka, benta mo na. Alam ko kasi compressed na yung Darkstar at HDN natin.. Gusto ko nga itry sa transparent distortions tong Darkstar.. tignan ko kung magcclean xa kapag binabaan ko yung volume ng guitar ko..
Di po ako nag cocompressor sir, di ko talaga alam purpose nun haha :-D
sa TMSCubao, Crate Amp na digital(ata) ang testing amp nila eh, pero nung pag uwi ko, triny ko muna sa distortion ng amp(Laney LG20, brit tone hehe), mas maganda ang buga niya than before, then triny ko naman with my pedals(Kevin's BSIAB,awesome :-D), di na ko natulog since nakuha ko :-D

on the cleans naman, punchy cleans siya pag full volume, yung bridge tight na tight talaga, sa neck, bassy na smooth, kahit clean, pag rinollback mo volume, halos magkatunog na sila :-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:16:12 AM by metalheadz »

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #310 on: December 02, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
Di po ako nag cocompressor sir, di ko talaga alam purpose nun haha :-D
sa TMSCubao, Crate Amp na digital(ata) ang testing amp nila eh, pero nung pag uwi ko, triny ko muna sa distortion ng amp(Laney LG20, brit tone hehe), mas maganda ang buga niya than before, then triny ko naman with my pedals(Kevin's BSIAB,awesome :-D), di na ko natulog since nakuha ko :-D

on the cleans naman, punchy cleans siya pag full volume, yung bridge tight na tight talaga, sa neck, bassy na smooth, kahit clean, pag rinollback mo volume, halos magkatunog na sila :-)
Alam nio sir, BSIAB din ni Kevin una kong natest sa Darkstar ko  :-D 
Kaya nung sinabi nio na maganda xa sa Classic Blues and Jazz kapag nakaclean dahil nga siguro compressed na daw xa lalo na siguro kung naka split coil pot ka din tulad ko.. Parang strat and Les Paul or SG na tunog mo in 1 guitar..  :-D

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #311 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
Alam nio sir, BSIAB din ni Kevin una kong natest sa Darkstar ko  :-D 
Kaya nung sinabi nio na maganda xa sa Classic Blues and Jazz kapag nakaclean dahil nga siguro compressed na daw xa lalo na siguro kung naka split coil pot ka din tulad ko.. Parang strat and Les Paul or SG na tunog mo in 1 guitar..  :-D
BSIAB ni Kevin ka rin?!? :-D *apir!!! :lol:
Ah kaya pala, pero di po ako naka split coil eh, parallel ang pinakabit ko eh :-D
kahit ganun, ganda parin ng tunog ng pickups :-D

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #312 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »

may free installation of pick ups ulet sa TMS cubao kuya?

nung nagtanong kasi ako noon wala na daw kasi wala na si kuya dax, routine-routine lang daw niya dati yun...

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
may free installation of pick ups ulet sa TMS cubao kuya?

nung nagtanong kasi ako noon wala na daw kasi wala na si kuya dax, routine-routine lang daw niya dati yun...
meron po sir, si Kuya Abe po hanapin niyo po sir, and yes routine-routine lang din po ni Kuya Abe iyon sir

BTW, TMS Cubao has new stocks raw today, be sure to drop by and look for stuff and order stuff they have there :wink:
(free ads LOL :-D)

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
Guys ok lang ba na palitan ko nalang ng Darkstar pickups tong Ibanez grg170dx ko kahit basswood yung body niya?

Offline kitbisquit

« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
Guys ok lang ba na palitan ko nalang ng Darkstar pickups tong Ibanez grg170dx ko kahit basswood yung body niya?
ok lang sir kasi darkstar din kinabit ko sa bridge position ng grg170dx ko. di ko kasi gusto yung tunog ng pickup sa bridge dati.

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
The test model they had, it was basswood(i think, sounded like basswood LOL) and it sounded great to my ears :-)

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
The test model they had, it was basswood(i think, sounded like basswood LOL) and it sounded great to my ears :-)

1.6k for a Darkstar pair right?

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
1.6k for a Darkstar pair right?
uhm no sir, its like 1700 for the pair :-D

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #319 on: December 11, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
i called up TMS Cubao. di daw sila nag i install. too bad.

planning to buy pa naman set of XS62N mamaya...

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #320 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:34 PM »

If that test model is an Aria or Stagg, that's an alder body (all Aria/Stagg solid bodies that TMS have are alder)

I recommend Dark Star for the bridge position in basswood bodies to add some lows (contrary to the name, basswood doesn't have much bass, that's why they're ideal for lead players because of the strong mids and highs. See http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm for more details)

Then again, any good pickup will sound good on anywood as long as it isn't plywood.  :-D Sa tonal / stylistic preference na lang talaga magkakatalo  :-)
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
If that test model is an Aria or Stagg, that's an alder body (all Aria/Stagg solid bodies that TMS have are alder)

I recommend Dark Star for the bridge position in basswood bodies to add some lows (contrary to the name, basswood doesn't have much bass, that's why they're ideal for lead players because of the strong mids and highs. See http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm for more details)

Then again, any good pickup will sound good on anywood as long as it isn't plywood.  :-D Sa tonal / stylistic preference na lang talaga magkakatalo  :-)

nice one papi...

pa-install naman ng pickup. heheheheh joke lang... pero pwede mo rin seryosohin. wahahahah

Offline polens

« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2010, 03:37:14 PM »
what i really like with the darkstar is its noiseless kahit high gain...
sabi nung isang gitarista namin bakit parang ang "Bassy" ng tunug :-D :-D
tapos try niya ung guitar niya with stock pups and pansin na pasin ung difference..
pati sa recording ang bigat ng tunug and very clear siya..

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
i called up TMS Cubao. di daw sila nag i install. too bad.

planning to buy pa naman set of XS62N mamaya...
sir outside service po kasi yun eh, di po mismo TMS magkabit pero yung employee po nila na si Kuya Abe ang nag iinstall :-)
OOTR:gonna get HDN's when they arrive :-D

Thanks sir Dax for the clarifications :-D
uhm what about alder bodies? :-D any pickup recommendations? :-)

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
finally, i am now an official entwistle pickup owner. got my self XS62N for neck and bridge kanina sa SPL. Sayang lang at walang middle position pickup na stock sa SPL kanina. I hope may dumating na next week para complete na yung set ko ng XS62N.

I personally installed these pickups to my squier strat and got blown away with my new tone. sobrang laki ng difference from stock. ang kapal tumunog ng XS62N.

ill post pics later...