hulika

Author Topic: Home demo recording (Soundclips)  (Read 1591 times)

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
Home demo recording (Soundclips)
« on: June 16, 2006, 03:31:42 AM »
Hello, I posted this over in Guitar Central but it didn't get any response.  So I thought I should try it here since it's about recording.  Hope you guys can help...

I just started getting into computer recording. Right now I have a pretty crappy setup - just an HP laptop, SoundBlaster Extigy, and Logitech computer speakers.  I used Audio Studio 7 I bought from Staples for $30.  :)

Riff only in mono (Recorded with a Digitech 2120):
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4023922&q=hi

Incomplete song with drums, no EQ:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4034279&q=hi

Incomplete song with drums, Hi and Lo EQ boost:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4035595&q=hi

Track 1 (Stereo) = Drums / Boss DR-770
Track 2 (Mono) = Rhythm 1 / panned hard left / Boss GT-3
Track 3 (Mono) = Rhythm 2 / panned hard right / Boss GT-3
Track 4 (Mono) = Lead / center / Boss GT-3
Note: no bass guitar on any tracks...

Please give me some insights about sound, mixing, and the playing in general.  Thanks for listening.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:56:16 AM »
you need to have the kicks. i couldn't hear any punch from that, the tom, the flor toms, and the cymbals. work on the processing of the drums because they sound sterile and fake. try working on giving it a bit of dimension and punch. bring the drums out to the front more. I realize you are a guitar player, so am I, but for metal songs to have the drive and punch that it needs for a powerful impact, you need the drums there. also, there is too much noodling. was this a guitar noodling track to just experiment? if so, then that is ok but for other projects, you need song structure and a complimentary arrangement of the rhythm AND lead guitars. worst band I was in was with two guitar players that just wanted to shred and start fires with their fingers on the fretboard. speed is great but if the people watching you ain't doing nothing - you aint got squat. you need the have the fists pumping, and the heads bobbing...without that, there is really no reason to listen to a song.

hope this helps. work on your mixing skills by reading articles and reading up on song arrangement. a majority of the classes I took for music theory had to do with production, songwriting, and arrangement. if you are working on your lyrics, a great book to have - which I think they still use at Berklee, IF Pattison still teaches these days - is "Writing Better Lyrics,"by Pat Pattison. There are paperback versions for this and it is a WONDERFUL source for adding that lyrical hook to complement your music work. words are just as heavy as distorted chords and an awesome drum/ bass section.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:40:27 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
you need to have the kicks. i couldn't hear any punch from that, the tom, the flor toms, and the cymbals. work on the processing of the drums because they sound sterile and fake. try working on giving it a bit of dimension and punch. bring the drums out to the front more. I realize you are a guitar player, so am I, but for metal songs to have the drive and punch that it needs for a powerful impact, you need the drums there. also, there is too much noodling. was this a guitar noodling track to just experiment? if so, then that is ok but for other projects, you need song structure and a complimentary arrangement of the rhythm AND lead guitars. worst band I was in was with two guitar players that just wanted to shred and start fires with their fingers on the fretboard. speed is great but if the people watching you ain't doing nothing - you aint got squat. you need the have the fists pumping, and the heads bobbing...without that, there is really no reason to listen to a song.

hope this helps. work on your mixing skills by reading articles and reading up on song arrangement. a majority of the classes I took for music theory had to do with production, songwriting, and arrangement. if you are working on your lyrics, a great book to have - which I think they still use at Berklee, IF Pattison still teaches these days - is "Writing Better Lyrics,"by Pat Pattison. There are paperback versions for this and it is a WONDERFUL source for adding that lyrical hook to complement your music work. words are just as heavy as distorted chords and an awesome drum/ bass section.

Yes this was just a noodle track so I can experiment in trying to separate the rhythm guitar with the lead guitar.  There isn't suppose to be a solo in that section.  The song is actually done, it's just cumbersome to program the drum machine for the whole song.  The clip is entirely different than how we play the song.  I did have a hard time bringing the drum tracks up without overpowering everything else.  I also "over-reverbed" it.  Recording with a drum machine is convenient, but not as powerful or real sounding as a drummer behind a kit.

As far as writing words, I leave that to the rest of the band.  I'm just the primary riff writer and lead player.  About the arrangement, it doesn't have any.  It's just a clip, not the entire thing.  I'll re-record everything when I finish programming the drum machine (or track the drummer, which is a pain) and after I get a better set of monitors and a Presonus Firebox...

Any thoughts on how to mix four tracks of guitar without phasing?  Any suggestions on how to make the drums punchier?  Thanks for the inputs!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:06:38 AM »
the guitars shouldn't phase if you EQ them properly and have different elements in each of the four tracks. listen to the guitar passage and make sure that ach of them build towards a strong song foundation by contributing different tones and elements. for example, have dueling guitars on 2 tracks, a rhythm on one, and maybe a drone type of guitar line on the last using an ebow or something that just surfaces every so often to add accents to a song passage. this way, you don't have too much going on at one time, helping the listener focus in on the "star"element of the guitar verse. also, back up the volume on the parts of the track that don't need to shine at a given time. if someone needs to sing somewhere, leave noodling out so you can help the drums and bass supplment the vocals a bit more. having a niche for other instruments is really important and will effectively help you avoid the "phasing" problem that most beginner mixers come across.

it should be important to know that the "phasing"you are referring to is not really phasing in the proper definition of the word. you just might happen to be playing the same verse during a passage, which makes a weird ghost sound at specific points of a song. this doubling is quite annoying. as such, EQ your guitar tracks according to the element you want to enhance: accent the highs for leads and add a bit of mids and bass to make it solid but strong; enhance the compression and EQ for rhythm guitars to make it chunky and solid, and smooth out the highs and lows on background guitar to make it less ovewhelming. design the riffs and leads to complement one another; back off on the rapid fire riffing if the song doesn't need it and use heavy chugging guitar liberly if you need a heavy groove to carry a song's energy further.

drums are hard to mix but you can easily get a good grasp of making good punchy drums by reading up on compression and reverb to add a TOUCH of dimension, warmth, and sonic strength. test the compression effect on your drums by toggling with the ratio. Ideally, the compression should breathe and let the dynamics of the player show through rather than choke his tracks to death. you can experiment with "ducking,"to add compression dynamically to drums by applying compression as a gate effects rather than as an insert on your recorder.

be careful about reverb and delay. this is a big problem with OPM commercial tracks that I sometimes can't understand. reverb and delay should only be added sparingly to give the guitars, vocals, or drums a bit of dimension if it otherwise sounds too sterile or solid. personally, i start with short decay reverbs and delay and work my way up from there depending on how the applied signal sits with the rest of the mix.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline geetar_geek79

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
^thanks.  I'll keep those in mind....