hulika

Author Topic: active or passive sub?  (Read 5163 times)

Offline aquaracer168

• Veteran Member
active or passive sub?
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
ano ma recommend nyo pang mobile sounds, active or passive sub?

Offline stoney73

Re: active or passive sub?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:16 AM »
For mobile,  I still find a passive set-up for the subs better.
"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is STILL the wrong piece of gear".

Offline aquaracer168

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
sir bakit mas ok ang passive sub? di ba mas magaan pag active sub? mas mura ba sir pag passive sub compared sa active?

Offline sl1200ltd

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »
If you are just starting... use Active, but if you have an existing amps and processor Passive.  :-)

Offline stoney73

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
sir bakit mas ok ang passive sub? di ba mas magaan pag active sub? mas mura ba sir pag passive sub compared sa active?

It depends on what brand or make.  I've seen a lot of china-made subs below 40k each.  That's cheap.  But for sound quality and output most especially for your lows,  I'm better off on a passive set-up since you can choose the power amp of your choice, the design of the enclosure that suits your taste for your subs and the speakers that you wish to install.  Flexibility is important in the long run.  Portability for me it's not a critical issue. 
"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is STILL the wrong piece of gear".

Offline kayo2jp

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:21:54 AM »
Active for me, I use it with crossover via aux send.
"life is a journey way back home"

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
It depends on what brand or make.  I've seen a lot of china-made subs below 40k each.  That's cheap.  But for sound quality and output most especially for your lows,  I'm better off on a passive set-up since you can choose the power amp of your choice, the design of the enclosure that suits your taste for your subs and the speakers that you wish to install.  Flexibility is important in the long run.  Portability for me it's not a critical issue. 

+ 1  :lol:

Offline mbenipayo

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »

it may boil down to personal preference, most of us feel that our sound systems is an extension of ourselves.

I would like to see an amp rack on casters filled with 4 good amps and at the lower part a patch bay of XLRs and Speakon connectors....showing your amps is like showing your biceps, you don't need to say anything, it's pretty much a statement on their own.........but if i look at it from an operational point of view, going powered makes sense because you will end up needing less people to operate, it also offers less possibility for your guys to make a wrong connection, you generally get consistent sound quality & tone, i'd go with active subs and active tops.

Digidesign VENUE Profile System/ Digi Venue Mix Rack Console/ McDSP LIVE Pack/ MAC Pro with Pro Tools HD64/ Pro Tools 8/ ATH-M50/ Radial J48

Offline bats828

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »
it may boil down to personal preference, most of us feel that our sound systems is an extension of ourselves.

I would like to see an amp rack on casters filled with 4 good amps and at the lower part a patch bay of XLRs and Speakon connectors....showing your amps is like showing your biceps, you don't need to say anything, it's pretty much a statement on their own.........but if i look at it from an operational point of view, going powered makes sense because you will end up needing less people to operate, it also offers less possibility for your guys to make a wrong connection, you generally get consistent sound quality & tone, i'd go with active subs and active tops.

bro ask ko lang sana kung ok lang ba gumamit ng single powered  subwoofer sa setup like the B3 Sigma 118D, and then yung gamit sa taas yung B3 TS360A? indoor yung function hall at 200-250 guests. yung event is kasal.

Offline aquaracer168

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »
what brand active or passive sub can you recommend? 18inch sub only.

Offline mbenipayo

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
bro ask ko lang sana kung ok lang ba gumamit ng single powered  subwoofer sa setup like the B3 Sigma 118D, and then yung gamit sa taas yung B3 TS360A? indoor yung function hall at 200-250 guests. yung event is kasal.

Hi Bats828,

yes, it can easily handle it.

cut the subs anywhere between 100-125 Hz (your preference) stick a pole in the flange and mount the TS-360A on top of that.

it should handle anything short of a LIVE band setup.

suggestion:  try to put two of the Sigma 118As one atop of the other, the coupling of the 2 boxes works wonders and you will get a higher SPL than 2 units apart.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:11:52 PM by mbenipayo »
Digidesign VENUE Profile System/ Digi Venue Mix Rack Console/ McDSP LIVE Pack/ MAC Pro with Pro Tools HD64/ Pro Tools 8/ ATH-M50/ Radial J48

Offline mbenipayo

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »
what brand active or passive sub can you recommend? 18inch sub only.

Hi aquacer.

if you're going for practicality, go and test the B3 Sigma 118A.

pictured here used with the RCF 6001A :http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=57735&id=102658559769638

if you want a really good one, go for the RCF 4PRO-8003AS.  

:)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:49:48 PM by mbenipayo »

Offline aquaracer168

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
sir benipayo, ano mas ma recommend nyo B3 Sigma 118A or yun cerwin vega na 18inch active?

yun RCF 4PRO-8003AS nasa 118k ata isa nun sir, nasa wish list ko pa yun... hehe

Offline mbenipayo

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »

The CVA 181 is a good sub as well, looks really good too.

best id to audition these, they each have their own character.

Offline choco_bam

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
both are great passive and active

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

+ 1  8-)

Offline king_james

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
I like to tinker with different subwoofer enclosure types and with different power amps.  I can easily do this under a "passive" set-up.  :-D  :-D

Offline barracks01

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »
lets do the basic

good enclosure + good speakers + good amplifier = excellent quality of sounds and good investment

now think again

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

now think again=NatGeo?

Offline barracks01

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:58:22 PM »

now think again=NatGeo?

hehehehe not so jok

Offline Solutions and Tools

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Go for ACTIVE!

Yung nag sabi ng mas ok ang passive . . .  in the near future mag Active din mga yan.

Less set up time, less manpower, less truck space, less cables, consistent spl and IDIOT proof!

More profits!

Offline aquaracer168

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »
tama ka sir, idiot proof pag active.... hehe

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:51 PM »
Go for ACTIVE!

Yung nag sabi ng mas ok ang passive . . .  in the near future mag Active din mga yan.

Less set up time, less manpower, less truck space, less cables, consistent spl and IDIOT proof!

More profits!

Boz,  what powered sub ang ok? Model, price at pic naman.  Tnx  :-)

Offline RevTech

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
ok po ba yung spl na active sub? mga nasa magkano kaya yun?

Offline barracks01

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »
ok po ba yung spl na active sub? mga nasa magkano kaya yun?

active sub start at around 50k , check mo kay sir Benipayo sa music source madaming active sub na pagpipilian doon.