hulika

Author Topic: mixer for pc recording  (Read 4441 times)

Offline adrix7

mixer for pc recording
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:15:14 AM »
hi guys, im plannin to buy a usb mixer for my pc... any recomendations? what should i look for? (qualities and features)

thanks again!!!! by the way is alesis a good mixer? :shock:

more power!!!!
 :D
write stuff

Offline jplacson

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:12:43 AM »
USB mixer? Tapco has a couple of good USB mixer/interfaces.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:57:26 AM »
Why settle for usb and its limited data bandwidth when you can use a firewire mixer instead? There are several choices from Alesis, Phonic and even Mackie.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline adrix7

is mixer really need for pc?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »
hi guys! :)  forgive my asking.. do i really need a mixer (let say alesis 8usb) if im going to record audio or midi to my pc using keyboards?? i mean what are the advantages if had one or disadvantages if i had none?

sorry po newbie eh... thanks again!!!   :P
write stuff

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: is mixer really need for pc?
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »
Quote from: adrix7
hi guys! :)  forgive my asking.. do i really need a mixer (let say alesis 8usb) if im going to record audio or midi to my pc using keyboards?? i mean what are the advantages if had one or disadvantages if i had none?

Depends on how you like to operate. I mean, if you have several keyboards/synths and then you like to record them all simultaneously but your soundcard has only stereo inputs, definitely you will need a mixer. If you can live with plugging and unplugging your synths outs into the back of your pc then tracking them one by one, then no. That little 1/8" line in socket on your soundcard will get a beating with all the repeated insertions; cheap soundcards are especially not known for durable jacks. The hard part is hearing all keyboards simultaneously (multiple input monitors and some creative patching required). I guess this is what spurred on the development of software synths and in-the-box mixing.

Brings me back to the day when I had a single AWE32 and I already had 4 separate sound sources (X3, QS6, MU80 and SPD11). The MU had 2-channel analog inputs so it served as my de facto mixer for several years, recording the mono outputs of my X3 and QS6. Since getting my multi-input soundcard, I have gone mixerless although I have a 12-channel Phonic on the side should I need it.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline adrix7

tulong po
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:41:24 AM »
hi again guys... advice po for this petty confussion of mine...

got keys doin some some midi/audio sequencing stuff in my desktop (sonar) naturally playback would be in my keyboards...  im plannin to send it (from my keys where it sounds when its played bk)  back (song) again to my pc so i can record in audio. edit it and convert  to mp3 thus saving it in the harddrve...

what are the best interface/firewires (and cheap) should i get between the keys and pc for a godd transmition..

firewires? usb? pci?

M-Audio Delta 44
Behringer FCA202 F-Control FireWire Audio Interface

and alikes... are they compatible too with sonar homestudio 4?  by the way aside from sonar what other sequencing softwares matches its power or more.. considering also its price..

cheers!

salamat po

adrix
write stuff

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: tulong po
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 11:33:26 AM »
Quote from: adrix7
what are the best interface/firewires (and cheap) should i get between the keys and pc for a godd transmition..

firewires? usb? pci?

M-Audio Delta 44
Behringer FCA202 F-Control FireWire Audio Interface

A bit of an oxymoron there because you cannot have the best and still have it cheap, there will always be a compromise between price and performance.

Like I said earlier, decide on how you want to operate. It seems your heart is dead set on getting a mixer but that is not always the best route. For ex., I prefer to connect my synths directly to my audio interface to minimize noise and other possible sources of coloration that's why I have a multi-input interface (18 ins at full tilt, 8 analog with the rest digital). The Emu also has 2 XLR inputs for direct connection of mics with phantom power - it's this number of I/O that's one of the reasons I have gone mixerless.

In order of the fastest data throughput to slowest among the interfaces you mentioned, its: pci, then firewire, and lastly usb. That's why I don't like to recommend usb devices unless your I/O needs are not that high but if you intend to track more than 4 channels with the minimum of risk, firewire and pci is the way to go. Firewire seems to be the safest route since some manufacturers are making the transition to pcie right now.

If you want to go firewire, the best right now is RME but it ain't cheap. Following a close second are Mackie with the excellent preamps in their Onyx line. Among the best in price/performance ratio, IMO, are the Presonus Firepod/Firebox. All the rest are either too new or risky to chance with yet (Alesis firewire mixers seem to be giving some users quite a few headaches, e.g.).

Best bang for the buck for pci interfaces? M-Audio Delta 1010LT. Unfortunately, this is now considered a discontinued product but at $149 for 10 ins/outs, it's a steal. Not the best converters and unbalanced operation, but stable drivers and it works with almost all software, if not everything. Just research if it's compatible with your mobo (usually is), try to stay away from Via chipsets except for the KT800.

Offline smurf boy

• Netizen Level
ASK
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »
ask ko lang mga sir.....

ok ba sa recording ang BEHRINGER ADA800 plugged to a PCI Soundcard RME DIGI9636. (of course w/ a PC and a Mixer)

salamat po!!!!!......

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 03:41:04 PM »
The Behringer is ok and it also has 8 mic preamps making it very good for the price. It only works up to 48 khz/24 bit (w/c is the adat spec anyway) but I don't think it's capable of S-MUX. Its converters aren't the best however it is ok by a lot of people's standards. I'm thinking of getting one myself just to give my Emu additional inputs and outputs.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »
ako din i thought about getting an ada8000 for live recording. then i noticed i had no more mics to plug into it.  :lol:  tama ba, may bult-inmic pre na ada8000? talk about bang for buck.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline adrix7

hehe
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 05:13:45 AM »
hehe :lol: sorry po  i guess i was a bit excited and confused about the "cheap and the best" stint... hehe i meant the best ideal/value my tight budjet could buy!!  

your'e right im really way dead set about gettin a mixer or kind of interface.. i think il follow your setup (direct input of synths to the pc) thanks again kitc!!!     so PCI!!!!

which is which po...  M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI Interface

-Audio Delta 44 Digital Recording System

thanks again!!!!

mabuhay!
write stuff

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 06:45:32 AM »
correct me if im wrong but i know the RME PCI cards are a lot cheaper than its firewire version.  you might wanna look into that since you're considering a PCI interface.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
adrix7,

The Audiophile 192 is like a development of the 2496 but with converters upped to accept 192 khz operation. It is limited to 4 channel operation, 2 channels analog and 2 channels s/pdif. The Delta 44 gives you the same converters as the 2496 but with 4 x 4 analog I/O with no digital I/O. Some people say that the Audiophile 192 has better specs overall - with the 192, you will need a mixer if you have several signal sources to record.

@Hazel,

The RME PCI cards are cheaper than their firewire counterparts, but they don't usually come with breakboxes or analog I/O as standard. Add the cost of analog expansion boards AEBx-I and AEBx-O (input and output boards are separate) or Multiface/Digiface and you could easily approach a thousand USD$.

Offline notEworthy27

• Netizen Level
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 05:10:12 PM »
I've been wanting to get the Delta1010 for my DAW. Is the M-Audio dist. here in the philippines still selling them at roughly $100(or less)? My plan for now is just to be able to record for EPs and Demos for my band in the near future.  The 'serious' and 'pro' recording can come a bit later. I'll be saving up for that. :)

For now, I plan to record sound separately using a laptop. It's sort of a move for me to learn how to record for film productions.

Laptop Specs :
Intel P4 1.6GHz (running @ 1.2GHz)
256Mb RAM
18Gb HDD

no firewire
2 USB ports

would the move to buy a behringer UCA202 be ok? Or are there other USB interfaces out there that's better?  I've also imagined bringing the desktop to me at shoots, but it will be a drag setting it up.  If I were to have it in a shoot, I would have a tall case to keep it safe and I would also have to buy a small LCD monitor.  Besides, most of the film productions I'll be involved in would be shorts / indie films.  

So the option to record using a laptop and a usb interface would be the better choice for now. To me that is. I'll be recording at 44.1kHz 16bits and mono.  Do you think the laptop and USB combo will suffice?

And, pahabol lang, will it be better to buy a firewire expansion card for the laptop to accomodate firewire interfaces? :)
Music is an art of expressing one's self...

Offline jplacson

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
Hmm..no firewire? Are your USB ports 2.0? Or 1.1?

I'd say the MBOX would be a good solution for USB... but I'd try to get firewire instead.

One caveat if you get FW cards for your laptop, most of them aren't bus powered, even the 6 pin ones so just be prepared to lug around the DC adapter of the interface and have an outlet nearby.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline notEworthy27

• Netizen Level
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
the power supply wont be a problem.besides my laptop will be connected to the outlet most of the time. :)

sad to say, USB 1.0 lang...MBOX is an M-Audio Product right?

Offline jplacson

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »
no..MBOX is Digidesign (sister co of M-Audio)

The ranking of interfaces within the ProTools realm is

highest PTHD/Live Systems
mid-range M-Audio Firewire
entry MBOX or M-audio USB

Now, understand, there's nothing "entry" really about the Mbox... it's just in the "Protools" world, it is the entry system.

From what I've read, the MBOX 1 sounds better than the MBOX 2... since it had better pres.

M-audio FW interfaces supposedly have better pres than the MBOX 1 or 2...and you get really low latency with the M-Audio FW series.

Are you in a rush to buy your interface?  PM me... might have an idea for you... ;)
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline jplacson

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »
pahabol... The Delta 1010 is being sold in the Phil for $100?!??!?!  MSRP in the US is $500!
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline fredzs

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 07:41:10 PM »
I think he Meant the LT version.. which is $149

Roughly around 19k here sa Phil... AFAIK. Mahal noh ? haha.. Shet dapat bumili ako ng 1010LT sa States nung summer.. IDIOT!  :shock:

Offline notEworthy27

• Netizen Level
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »
the delta 1010LT here in the philippines is around $149?

The delta1010 is 19k here in the philippines?

Does Crystal sell Mbox?

Offline jplacson

mixer for pc recording
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 11:47:32 AM »
I know Warren Robles is an authorized Digidesign dealer... so that includes the MBOX.  Last I checked, the MBOX 2 was something like P29K... but this includes ProTools LE.

Advantage of M-Audio products over the MBOX is that M-Audio can run Protools M-Powered (sold seperately...P19K) as well as any other program.  MBOX only runs Protools (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) so you're locked into Digidesign.

M-Audio is the only non-Digidesign brand (because Digidesign is a sister-company) that can run ProTools... so it's actually the most flexible when it comes to software systems compatibility.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline notEworthy27

• Netizen Level
mixer for pc recording
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 05:01:54 AM »
how different is the Adobe Audition2 from the Protools? :)