hulika

Author Topic: DEC or Harmonic Converger for MultiFx(Reviews/Questions/Users Experiences)  (Read 63365 times)

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic

Gerrit comrade you're real man  :mrgreen: and I owe you much by spreading the good news !!!

Offline accento24

email sent po sir roger...

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
email sent po sir roger...

Noted, hope and wish you can experience this wonder unit so you will love your multifx more than ever and GAS MFX no more  :-)

Offline accento24

email sent again sir roger... :-)

btw, my MFX is Boss GT-8...hope the DEC is the answer to my problem...

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
email sent again sir roger... :-)

btw, my MFX is Boss GT-8...hope the DEC is the answer to my problem...

Take my word and rest assure that your problem will already be solved  :-D

Offline luin_theblue

• Veteran Member
Hmmm... BAMF should see this.

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Hmmm... BAMF should see this.

I highly admire and respect the guy (Jobet) and a gentlemen indeed truely....If he is interested to test it out, he is very much welcome to drop by personally and honestly... it would be my pleasure to be his partner to venture in this unit for mass production to help more out our (kababayan multiFx users).

Not mostly all or we can afford Radley's Harmonic Converger, I even GAS one for 10k++ just to benchmarked and compare it with the DEC. Sadly.... it cost me to realized it's only the same magic effect and response with the DEC... BUT HAPPY to say we can now have it locally and many has been satisfied plus much more enjoy using now their multiFX.... and affordable as well :-D 

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
I'll refer you to some subcontractors that can do this for you so you won't have to lift a finger making these things :-D.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline accento24

bait talaga ni sir Jobet... :-)

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
I'll refer you to some subcontractors that can do this for you so you won't have to lift a finger making these things :-D.

This is GREAT comrade roger.  This is now the time for DEC to shine.  And now I am proud to say that my DEC is part of this history.  I told you comrade roger,  YOU ARE THE MAN!  Keep 'em rockin' 'en rollin'!

Offline sireus

• Veteran Member
astig!!! i'm expecting this really!!!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Hey guys. I did my experiments after reading about the principle of the thing, and using the frequency curve of the HC/DEC I made a simple work-alike, but with passive components. Because it's passive, it will introduce a volume loss, which should be compensated for by raising the volume on the multi or on the amp. Pero okay lang experiment lang naman. I did not follow the full roll-off curve, I went for a more conservative 6dB/octave rolloff and a slightly higher cutoff frequency. Here are my findings :

1. May binabagayan ang sound na eto, particularly the metalheads and the chug-chugers.

2. Unfortunately, it does affect the clean sound if you leave it in the circuit. The crystal "highs" of the guitar sound goes away. Good to have a bypass switch or something of the sort if you want to escape this effect. Or compensate at the multi using the onboard equalizer on your clean patch.

3. My test rig was a zoom G2, which from the start is not so bad already to begin with. Unfortunately, some of the digital fizz occurs in the frequency range where the notes occur. So there, you cannot eliminate the fizz completely as it is an inherent byproduct of the digitization process. What you can do is to remove it in those regions where no notes occur so that you don't hear them by themselves. At least.

4. Some sonic information, such as the pick attack will be dampened.

Teka...I have a much-worse multi...a Behringer XVAmp. Couldn't stand it. When I find it I'll subject it to the test circuit. Oo nga...when I remember, even a Boss GT10 sounds real sucky to my ears. With things like these, any improvement is a big improvement. Should try this in these setups.

Given this preliminary investigation, sure roger, let's meet up and test your device, test my device and other alternatives.

So ayun. May gamit sya and may tone na binabagayan sya. But IMHO, it's not for everyone. Me, for one, I sometimes play classic rock and the Marshall sound of that genre might not not take too well to the HC's frequency response curve. But don't take that as written in stone, kasi I'm using my current patches. Perhaps they can use a little more tweaking in the EQ section to compensate for the loss in the highs.

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Hey guys. I did my experiments after reading about the principle of the thing, and using the frequency curve of the HC/DEC I made a simple work-alike, but with passive components. Because it's passive, it will introduce a volume loss, which should be compensated for by raising the volume on the multi or on the amp. Pero okay lang experiment lang naman. I did not follow the full roll-off curve, I went for a more conservative 6dB/octave rolloff and a slightly higher cutoff frequency. Here are my findings :

1. May binabagayan ang sound na eto, particularly the metalheads and the chug-chugers.

2. Unfortunately, it does affect the clean sound if you leave it in the circuit. The crystal "highs" of the guitar sound goes away. Good to have a bypass switch or something of the sort if you want to escape this effect. Or compensate at the multi using the onboard equalizer on your clean patch.

3. My test rig was a zoom G2, which from the start is not so bad already to begin with. Unfortunately, some of the digital fizz occurs in the frequency range where the notes occur. So there, you cannot eliminate the fizz completely as it is an inherent byproduct of the digitization process. What you can do is to remove it in those regions where no notes occur so that you don't hear them by themselves. At least.

4. Some sonic information, such as the pick attack will be dampened.

Teka...I have a much-worse multi...a Behringer XVAmp. Couldn't stand it. When I find it I'll subject it to the test circuit. Oo nga...when I remember, even a Boss GT10 sounds real sucky to my ears. With things like these, any improvement is a big improvement. Should try this in these setups.

Given this preliminary investigation, sure roger, let's meet up and test your device, test my device and other alternatives.

So ayun. May gamit sya and may tone na binabagayan sya. But IMHO, it's not for everyone. Me, for one, I sometimes play classic rock and the Marshall sound of that genre might not not take too well to the HC's frequency response curve. But don't take that as written in stone, kasi I'm using my current patches. Perhaps they can use a little more tweaking in the EQ section to compensate for the loss in the highs.

Sure Jobet, only my time is tied up since March this year coz my wife left for London for 3 yrs contract... Hi hi binata na naman ako for 3 yrs hhahahhhaa. Kaso lang tatay nanay ako and doing all the household chore plus taking care of my kid and at the same time im working 6days a week  :cry: Buti na lng may napagiiwanan ako ng bata. Sorry to say I cant meet you up but you're very much welcome to drop by on my free Sunday time at home coz some Sunday we have company band practicing too.  I want you to experience the real thing both Rad's Harmonic Converger and the DEC so we will compare both not by just seeing frequency response curve but to hear exactly and what really it does. I maybe, I said may give you your the classic rock and marshall tone exact to your taste. Hoping you and I can both have spare day and time to jam alone. BTW you can have some of your friend to visit so it would not be biased just for both of us or not and let them also comment on their own opinion.... wish to see you soon my friend.

Offline luin_theblue

• Veteran Member
http://www.nargalzius.com/blog/archives/2007/06/01/review-harmonic-converger/

Check this out.

I was reading an article earlier (too bad I didn't save the link) that the device kicks in when there's the fizz (I dunno how that sort of sensitivity is gonna work in a passive device), so clean patches won't be wholly affected...

Offline luin_theblue

• Veteran Member

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Ooo blend knob.Another piece of the puzzle falls in place...can't believe I missed that.  I could do that :-D. Lets see...because my device is passive, I have to keep the value low, like 1k or 5k pot. But that would solve the severe "tone suck" of the device.

@roger: the links that dave provided does indeed confirm my own observations. Perhaps katuwaan lang, I'll wind the coils necessary and have something that more closely responds to the frequency curve.

Re: frequency curve. While of course we can't hear with our eyes, those curves were derived by running the HC through sweep tone test equipment and they reveal the behaviour of the device. The "active implementation" you have is actually designed around those same curves. So I guess we're pretty much talking about the same thing because Rad does not reveal any clue about how the HC works that it required some pretty talented reverse engineers to figure out how it works.

BTW, Sundays are always bad for me, as anyone who's had to work with me already knows :-D. But indeed if your schedule does open up, my workshop has an oscilloscope and upstairs we have the recording studio. We can run whichever device through tone sweep tests and record the results and capture the resultant waveforms and frequency analysis tests. Lots of things we can do and learn from. Suggestion lang naman :-D.

No doubt the device works. In fact, something of the sort (the passive kind) is already implemented in certain multis like the Digitech RP series. I even disabled some of those that were brought to me for repair because the inductors, being so small would pop like fuses.

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Ooo blend knob.Another piece of the puzzle falls in place...can't believe I missed that.  I could do that :-D. Lets see...because my device is passive, I have to keep the value low, like 1k or 5k pot. But that would solve the severe "tone suck" of the device.

@roger: the links that dave provided does indeed confirm my own observations. Perhaps katuwaan lang, I'll wind the coils necessary and have something that more closely responds to the frequency curve.

Re: frequency curve. While of course we can't hear with our eyes, those curves were derived by running the HC through sweep tone test equipment and they reveal the behaviour of the device. The "active implementation" you have is actually designed around those same curves. So I guess we're pretty much talking about the same thing because Rad does not reveal any clue about how the HC works that it required some pretty talented reverse engineers to figure out how it works.

BTW, Sundays are always bad for me, as anyone who's had to work with me already knows :-D. But indeed if your schedule does open up, my workshop has an oscilloscope and upstairs we have the recording studio. We can run whichever device through tone sweep tests and record the results and capture the resultant waveforms and frequency analysis tests. Lots of things we can do and learn from. Suggestion lang naman :-D.

No doubt the device works. In fact, something of the sort (the passive kind) is already implemented in certain multis like the Digitech RP series. I even disabled some of those that were brought to me for repair because the inductors, being so small would pop like fuses.

:-(  that would only be December vacation  :cry:

Beside, Im planning to sell out Rad's Harmonic Converger.....it has no use coz I'm loving more of my DEC no pun intended sir.... I want to return back my investment on this..... I'm just selling it for 9.5K if ever someone who's interested to have a passive unit.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Interesting. Post vidclips/soundclips.

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
Interesting. Post vidclips/soundclips.

Back read bro, may mga sound clip si roger si first page  :-)

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Just to let you and other to familiarized FIZZ ugly digital sizzling (baog, plastic, sterile, aliasing... hi hi hi ano pa kaya) :-D

Here's just a very simple play with default distortion drive without ANY FX or eq applied not just for you but for all and for what it worth.... DEC (cleans and enhances and warm up akin to analog tone pedal sounding)......I maybe right or maybe wrong coz I said it many times we all have our own preference discerning ears and sound.....

BTW use only Headphone and a closed ear type 32ohm is much better to monitor this clip.

FIRST the DEC is ON and in the middle of the clip I switch the DEC OFF so you can hear and compare the difference then I switch the DEC ON again.....
Then tell us or anyone which is better......

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8950096

Offline Sigma

Sir do you still have DEC units available? I'm interested in purchasing one. :D Thanks! God Bless! :D
Deals: Musikerochan, BossingBoss, stefan_hendrixx, rogeryu, neo_rockista08

Offline luin_theblue

• Veteran Member
Rogeryu,

what mfx did you use? and did that have cabinet simulation? :)

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Sir do you still have DEC units available? I'm interested in purchasing one. :D Thanks! God Bless! :D

Sir, email me at decstomp@yahoo.com, First come first serve to be fair for all. May naka line-up kc and I just sent my last DEC unit just yesterday to accento24. God bless us all too.

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Rogeryu,

what mfx did you use? and did that have cabinet simulation? :)

Just only Drive/Distortion default setting no cab sim. If your Multifx has cab sim to be honest your cab sim would truly sounded better :)
BTW Boss GT10. I personally tested DEC with Pod XT live, Zoom G7.1ut, Korg AX1000G.....IMO only ha, All digital multifx has Fizz or Digital aliasing....only AxeFX in my opinion need not Harmonic Converger coz Radley himself bought one  :-D

Offline rogeryu

• Forum Fanatic
Here's another simple highgain demo clip
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8147070

Now with my Vanhalen Cover demo
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7602831

Classic Overdive cover demo
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7625309

Sorry for medyo old timer na ko matanda na kasi at sublay na mga daliri ko pero atleast pinapalakpakan pa rin kmi kahit papano ng audience namin. Salamat naman.