hulika

Author Topic: Shure SM58 made in china  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
Shure SM58 made in china
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:42:23 PM »
mga bro... may nakita ako ngbebenta ng shure sm58 made in china... for P800.. tanung ko lang.. may shure factory ba talaga sa china or pirated lang talaga itong mga mics na ito.. kung may shure nga... how bout the quality?? thanks mga bro;.;.
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
Please refer to this thread.

AFAIK, the Shure factories are in Mexico and there no factories elsewhere in the world. Shures 'made in china' are bound to be fakes and with the price you stated, they certainly are. Secondly, the quality on these fakes are poor - plastic bodies and questionable capsules; the real Shure mics have heavy metal bodies, durable windscreens, and capsules that don't look and sound cheap.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:52:45 PM »
may ginawa bang counter part ang Behringer ng SM57 at SM58 ?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »
you can PM Mr. Tarkuz about Shure mics.  Php 800 for a shure mic? not even second hand items will cost that cheap (unless sold in bulk or very beat up).
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
Quote from: KitC
Please refer to this thread.

AFAIK, the Shure factories are in Mexico and there no factories elsewhere in the world. Shures 'made in china' are bound to be fakes and with the price you stated, they certainly are. Secondly, the quality on these fakes are poor - plastic bodies and questionable capsules; the real Shure mics have heavy metal bodies, durable windscreens, and capsules that don't look and sound cheap.

Uy hinde ah.

I don't know about the questionable capsules but the shure fakes also have heavy metal bodies.

Take a trip down Sales st. near raon, where they make all those Karaoke machines. Oh ! If I could only A-B a Shure Shure and a Shure Fake !

Y'know, they even sell the "Shure" mic element there (Shurely fake) for only P180.

Don't it make y'all curious ? Like maybe, have the Chinese really approached the sound quality of Shure to the point where they blatantly brand the thing as such ?
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 05:08:51 PM »
BAMF you will find this interesting:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/CF2A0C54CEECE33886256A80000F9319

whenever people complain about rip offs, the first thing that hits is this question:   do they really sound THAT good???
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
Great editorial.

That's my same stand on the Boss vs. Behringer issue. There is no condonation tho for the direct copying of the trademark, and its an "unfair business practice" to say the least, worthy of a raid on the sellers and importers of these items.

But the technology is a different matter. There is a reason why patents are only protected for 17 years.

Actually din, I've heard the Shurely fake SM58's. They do sound good, in a "karaoke" sense. I'm not shure though if they still sound good beside a shurely shure mike.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline luminamusic

Re: Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:25 PM »
Quote from: Agent_So
mga bro... may nakita ako ngbebenta ng shure sm58 made in china... for P800.. tanung ko lang.. may shure factory ba talaga sa china or pirated lang talaga itong mga mics na ito.. kung may shure nga... how bout the quality?? thanks mga bro;.;.

walang ganyan orig

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »
Quote from: BAMF

I don't know about the questionable capsules but the shure fakes also have heavy metal bodies.

I've opened one na. They sometimes use aluminum bodies with steel inserts. Some even use metallized plastic bodies similar to the technology used in my old Canon AT-1 SLR..
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 01:29:23 AM »
may ginawa bang copy ang Behringer ng SM57 at SM58 ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 02:15:10 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
may ginawa bang copy ang Behringer ng SM57 at SM58 ?

You mean like this?

Funny thing... I was at the hardware department store in Robinson's Pioneer when I saw replacement mic grills that look like they were made for the SM-58. Ma-try nga minsan kung kasya...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 07:23:40 AM »
ayos ahh ano toh copy ng SM58, ehehe sobra mura ah ? eh SM57 meron kaya mura alternative na same features ?

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 11:01:05 AM »
yung SM58 copy nila ay equivalent to fake SM58, opinyon ko lang.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
ano ba yung Shure na Prologue ? anong specs nya at magkano ? at meron bang SM57 na silver ? dba ang SM57 eh black dapat ? may nakita kc ako SM57 pero silver eh sa bahay ng barkada ko ginagamit pang video oke pero nakalagay shure SM57 ? at ang sabi sakin nung may ari eh 6k daw ang bili ng tatay nya dun ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
Could it be this? SM-545SD - I think it's meant for podium lecterns.

Meron din silver-bodied SM-58, the 565SD

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Shure SM58 made in china
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 02:03:45 AM »
not shure pero parang SM57 talaga yung nabsa ko.. anyway ano yung shure prologue ? anong specialization nya at difference between sm58 ?

Offline YJMCowboy

real deal
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 03:02:28 AM »
Ganito lang kasimple yon. Kasi I've tried it. A real sure Sm58, a Behringer
xm8500 or some other pro mics that do not have a switch will have a tremendous proximity effect or bass boost as you put it closer to the mouth. When you AB a pro mic with a karaoke mic, even the ones that have some quality, the pro mics will have more low end "Body". This is
a design intended to boost the voice in a band context. A karaoke mic will
NOT help you in a live situation with a full band. The voice will be drowned.
Or even a singer like Regine will sound raspy and thin if she AB'd herself.
The karaoke mic was designed to be used in a, duh, karaoke setting, where the accompanying music is not as loud as a full band, complete with mixers to to compensate for whatever needs the singer may have.
Karaoke mics, including the fake or china shures all have this thin and sharp quality which is perfect for a karaoke seeting. It needs no eq kasi it's sharp and clear. I'm talking about the "good" karaoke mics.
A true sm58 or even Behringer xm8500 will sound boomy if used with a sound system designed for karaoke. Without a mixer or eq even the great sm58 ngo ngo tunog.
It wasn't designed to be used in that way. That's why a karaoke mic is better for karaoke. It's sharp ,thin but clear. A true shure sm58 sounds nasal and boomy. Try recording with it. You get the same result.
BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. Even with the lows rolled off. There's an inherent boominess that tells you it wasn't design to be used that way. It's a great live mic. The best. But for mixerless karaoke, I'd go with the best karaoke mic anytime. That includes the fake or china sm58's. Even for recording with an ordinary pc. Try to get a sound with a true sm58 and a
good karaoke mic, eq's set to flat. The shures sound
muddy. The china sounds thin
but clear and easier to mold into that psuedo condenser sound with use
of plugins. With a true sm58, you'd have to roll off the low end with plugins and then start from there. With a mixer and eq you could get away
using a 58 in a karaoke setting, but plugged into your muslim sound system, the 58 is not very forgiving. You get mud.  A good karaoke mic is the better choice.

An sm57 on the other hand may be a different story. Don't ask me i havent tried it. They say a 57 is sharp.

Just remember, for live singing in a band,  a true sm58 is best.

For karaoke or home recording on a cheap pc,
you can do better with a good karaoke mic.

( applause ) Thank you.
Pumping music, sex and iron...