hulika

Author Topic: Legato!!!!!!!  (Read 3829 times)

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
Legato!!!!!!!
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Im planning to focus on this technique..........Mga guys na mahilig sa legato stuff dyan share naman dyan mga LEGATO gods nyo.....

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Legato!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
pagsinabing legato, ang pumapasok agad sa isip ko si Richie Kotzen.  :-D
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline tamad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
brett garsed!

eto pa:
For Sale: Tube Zone, Kalamazoo[antiqued chrome] (with soundclips!)
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,195539.0.html
 You have to focus on what makes u happy about urself. You're the only person you need to please. -Lauren Conrad

Offline bhaahchico

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »
pagsinabing legato, ang pumapasok agad sa isip ko si Richie Kotzen.  :-D
yup  check his video's  :wink:

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
brett garsed!

eto pa:

thanks man  :wink: :wink: :wink:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
thanks man  :wink: :wink: :wink:

Brett Garsed is an awesome legato "stylist", but the major factor in his tone and feel is his hybrid picking technique.

I feel that that's put him in the 2nd generation of the school of holdsworth.

I would suggest you check out the root of it all. the father. the big daddy. the MAN.

Allan Holdsworth

Look closely at his left hand here. his fingers hammer and pull off "vertically" no meowing by pulling off sideways. he is literally hammering his notes.

take note, he picks very lightly as well, the legato notes and picked ones are even on volume and attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY

then enjoy the beauty of his music, his phrasing and approach to changes. he is brilliant!

[/url]

and check him out in the 70's. my first taste of Holdsworth was when I was 15, my dad had a Bill Bruford album. Couldnt understand a thing he did! hahahaha  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBaofcg2ZA

And Bretts a genius too. My fave, coz he's not one dimensional. (I'm not saying that Holsworth is, but he kinda fathered the style, so I dont expect him to play hip hop!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcU--oNKQ4

Same breathy phrasing., but with an added extra "something"! The punchiness in his fast line are attributed to the right hand  :wink: :wink: oh, and a set of 11s. whereas Holdsworth favors 9s.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
Brett Garsed is an awesome legato "stylist", but the major factor in his tone and feel is his hybrid picking technique.

I feel that that's put him in the 2nd generation of the school of holdsworth.

I would suggest you check out the root of it all. the father. the big daddy. the MAN.

Allan Holdsworth

Look closely at his left hand here. his fingers hammer and pull off "vertically" no meowing by pulling off sideways. he is literally hammering his notes.

take note, he picks very lightly as well, the legato notes and picked ones are even on volume and attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asjr_4rwIEY

then enjoy the beauty of his music, his phrasing and approach to changes. he is brilliant!

[/url]

and check him out in the 70's. my first taste of Holdsworth was when I was 15, my dad had a Bill Bruford album. Couldnt understand a thing he did! hahahaha  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBaofcg2ZA

And Bretts a genius too. My fave, coz he's not one dimensional. (I'm not saying that Holsworth is, but he kinda fathered the style, so I dont expect him to play hip hop!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcU--oNKQ4

Same breathy phrasing., but with an added extra "something"! The punchiness in his fast line are attributed to the right hand  :wink: :wink: oh, and a set of 11s. whereas Holdsworth favors 9s.

thanks sir, medyo di ko na kaya kasi mag grinding sa pick ng mabilis kaya change of focus naman ako sa legato stuff...........

Offline quaternotetriplet

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
thanks sir, medyo di ko na kaya kasi mag grinding sa pick ng mabilis kaya change of focus naman ako sa legato stuff...........
mura lang pick ah..
h

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »

you mean you're picking too hard?

relax... it will take a while to defeat a bad habit. there are some guitars players that grind their picks because of force. i recall years ago when michael angelo batio guested at perfect pitch park square. i asked him about his picking while getting a shirt autographed. he demonstrated his picking. ouch... grinding indeed.

but he smiled when i asked him about tracy lords and the "knock 'em dead" movie he was in! he said he had fun...

i suggest that on top of your legato exploration, work on you picking.

its important to develop control. in a nutshell, try picking extremely softly for a couple of mins. pick as gentle as you can... then, build it up from there, until you can get as loud as possible. thats the only way you could find the "median" point of attack.

that point where you're not whacking it, and the guitar isnt whispering either.

picking is important too  :-) make it a double goal, legato AND picking  :-)

good luck!

Ron Kirn

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
you mean you're picking too hard?

relax... it will take a while to defeat a bad habit. there are some guitars players that grind their picks because of force. i recall years ago when michael angelo batio guested at perfect pitch park square. i asked him about his picking while getting a shirt autographed. he demonstrated his picking. ouch... grinding indeed.

but he smiled when i asked him about tracy lords and the "knock 'em dead" movie he was in! he said he had fun...

i suggest that on top of your legato exploration, work on you picking.

its important to develop control. in a nutshell, try picking extremely softly for a couple of mins. pick as gentle as you can... then, build it up from there, until you can get as loud as possible. thats the only way you could find the "median" point of attack.

that point where you're not whacking it, and the guitar isnt whispering either.

picking is important too  :-) make it a double goal, legato AND picking  :-)

good luck!

opo sir, gumagawa na kasi ako ngayun nga mga bagong list of exercises na hindi gaanung masakit sa kamay.... trying legato at economy picking ngayun sir.....medyo sawa na ako sa grind para maiba naman...thanks again sir....

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
Guthrie govan is the man when it comes to legato. Awesome legato licks!
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
Bret Garsed once said about his 'chromatic legato' during improvising..

"Just fill in the blanks"

haaaaay sana ganun kadali  :D :D :D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:20 AM »
Bret Garsed once said about his 'chromatic legato' during improvising..

"Just fill in the blanks"

haaaaay sana ganun kadali  :D :D :D

Easier said than done! Hahahaha! When i heard him utter that statement I found myself scratching my head like a dog infested with fleas...

But i think the answer is found in his following examples in that video. He developed an approach to passing tones that was far from the ordinary. he treats them with respect, hehehe.

most folks just play "over" the passing tones, but from what i see and hear, he actually incorporates them in his lines by juggling them.

Ron Kirn

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55:59 AM »
leeeegato has been my escape when I realize that I cant do speed picking
...just wish that I got psychic_sushi's skills

HAIL!

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 06:06:35 AM »
Easier said than done! Hahahaha! When i heard him utter that statement I found myself scratching my head like a dog infested with fleas...

But i think the answer is found in his following examples in that video. He developed an approach to passing tones that was far from the ordinary. he treats them with respect, hehehe.

most folks just play "over" the passing tones, but from what i see and hear, he actually incorporates them in his lines by juggling them.

naninibago nga ako sa nakita sa video ni brett garsed sir ehheh, pero i let my ears do the understanding ehheh, hay sana ganun ka dali ehheh

Offline Roller_Caster

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
D ako marunong masyado Legato licks

LABABO Licks heheh...  :lol:

Offline tuned

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
Tom Quayle!!!  
 check this guy from Leeds...
Take it easy , but take it.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
DO NOT WATCH THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s

:evil:  8-)

OMG. i watched. should've trusted your word with it.  :cry:

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »
DO NOT WATCH THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s

:evil:  8-)

already watch it sir mark, parang dalawang exercise lng nakuha ko..grabe yung theory iba pala yung legato na legato talaga at yung rock sided na legato hayzzzzz...hirap  :oops: :oops: :oops:

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
Most of us, if not all, refer to legato as notes being played in a slurring manner or motion or better known as hammer-ons and pull-offs, while that is true and absolutely correct, the term legato doesn't limit itself by the said action. Here's the complete meaning of legato:

In musical notation the Italian word legato (literally meaning "tied together") indicates that musical notes are played or sung smoothly and connected. That is, in transitioning from note to note, there should be no intervening silence. Legato technique is required for slurred performance, but unlike slurring (as that term is interpreted for some instruments), legato does not forbid rearticulation. In standard notation legato is indicated either with the word legato itself, or by a slur (a curved line) under the notes that are to be joined in one legato group. Legato, like staccato, is a kind of articulation. There is an intermediate articulation called either mezzo staccato or non-legato.

..and here's an example of the said technique in classical guitar. It's a hellotta different from what most of us know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_BX8UMbFpE

"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline les_paul_rhay

• Forum Fanatic
The World will never take it away

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 02:35:30 PM »
panalo

Ibang klase e no. Legato plus hybrid picking. Who would've thought that this fellow used to be John Farnham's guitarist? The guy who sang "Please don't ask me."hehe.. :-D