hulika

Author Topic: Univibe Question  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
Univibe Question
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
What/How would you categorize a Univibe?

Is it a Phaser or a Chorus or a Vibrato effect?

What pedal can i Mod to get a "Univibe ish" sound?

I know the tone purists would say na Univibe is a Univibe and walang substitute, but im only going to use it for one song. So i'd rather have mods done or buy something that can be used for other things din.

Offline tamad

• Veteran Member
Re: Univibe Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
phaser. diyan yata nag originate ang phaser eh. as to what pedal, feeling ko yung mababang stage ng phaser. sorry can't be of much help.
For Sale: Tube Zone, Kalamazoo[antiqued chrome] (with soundclips!)
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,195539.0.html
 You have to focus on what makes u happy about urself. You're the only person you need to please. -Lauren Conrad

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
As far as i know, a univibe its technically a phaser. The difference is a univibe uses photoresistors while a phaser uses ICs.
An MXR Phase 45 is known to be a good faux-vibe. 2 stages compared to the Phase 90s 4 stages. Mas subtle siya.
A tremolo and a phaser can also take you to the univibe ballpark.
LF: Mojo

Offline niko062

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
uni vibes are supposed to have the sound of 06's - 70's leslie rotating speakers.. so it's basically a chorus and a vibrato effect put together (speakers going away from the mic, back to the mic on a constant rotation) makes this pulsating sound (that's why it's almost like a phaser/out of phase tone) you hear in songs like jimi hendrix's little wing, i'm a big fan of this pedal there's something sexy about that sound ehehe.. as far as modding a certain pedal to have that "vibe" effect, i'm not familliar with any.. just get a cheap danelectro cool-cat uni vibe, it'll get you less trouble.. cheers!!

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
a univibe is a 4 stage phaser.  while the univibe was regarded as a failed attempt to simulate a rotating speaker/leslie effect, it ended up with a cool sound of it's own.

the sound of a vibe is a throb or a heartbeat-like sound that is slightly lopsided; compared to the volume modulation of the tremolo, the pitch modulation of the vibrato, the phase modulation of the phaser, and the doppler effect (to my ears, this sounds like a combination of the other modulation effects) of the rotating speaker/leslie.

to use hendrix as a basis for comparison; "machine gun" is a univibe, while "angel" is a leslie.

i agree with niko, instead of modding, just go with a cheapo dano.  less hassle.

cheers.

william251082

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:05 PM »
^Tama ang sinabi ni pareng nico, my danelectro univibe din ako oks naman, pero lovepedal na ginagamit ko ngayon. About 4.31 univibe sound

I'm not an effects guy but univibe talaga ang trip na trip kong tunog :roll: thank you Hendrix! :mrgreen:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
I agree with the other guys. A Univibe is a part of the phaser family of effects. Chorus pedals are associated with flangers due to their very similar circuitries.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline niko062

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
with all that said, bro Stratzkiboy.. if you havn't tried out a leslie amp/rotating speaker, i wish you'll experience it once.. they made great tube leslies during the 70's. once i helped a friend clean out an old practice room with a hammond organ (paired with a leslie offcourse) and at the end of my dusting i discretely plugged my strat to that leslie haha  :evil:.. for a couple of minutes i had multi ear-gasms haha.. and yeah it's nothing compared to a pedal.. but still, it's always cool to have a pedal close to that sound..

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
If i add Leslie rotating sims to the mix?

What are the options/pedals that can emulate this??

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
Try the Boss RT-20 of forumite ichangedmynametojimi ...

william251082

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
Pag digital masyadong malinis ang tunog eh, yung univibe dun sa digitech na na-try ko medyo natawa lang ako eh :-D

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
check this one, a tremolo that has a good leslie sim (DISCLAIMER: i sell these pedals)

http://gig-fx.com/products/Chopper/chopper.htm

Offline tamad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »

arion sch-1 chorus. sch-z din.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:11:24 AM by tamad »
 You have to focus on what makes u happy about urself. You're the only person you need to please. -Lauren Conrad

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
OT: meron na bang dedicated Univibe / Leslie Emulators THread??? Maybe we can convert this one to it...
Watcha think???

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
Just say it, guys. I'll change the thread title in a flash :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 10:24:59 AM »
Tempted by the Coolcat Vibe!! ANy reviews?

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
The Cool Cat Vibe sounds very much like a Micro Vibe, except that it is a bit brighter. (I have both.) So, pair the Micro Vibe with a bright guitar, pedal, and/or amp; and pair the Dano with a warmer-sounding sounding set-up.

Some people complain the Dano gives a volume boost. No big deal... just bring down your guitar volume when you engage the pedal.

If the Dano had been available before the Micro Vibe, I would have saved myself quite a bit of money.

Tempted by the Coolcat Vibe!! ANy reviews?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:43:26 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline niko062

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »
The Cool Cat Vibe sounds very much like a Micro Vibe, except that it is a bit brighter. (I have both.) So, pair the Micro Vibe with a bright guitar, pedal, and/or amp; and pair the Dano with a warmer-sounding sounding set-up.

Some people complain the Dano gives a volume boost. No big deal... just bring down your guitar volume when you engage the pedal.

If the Dano had been available before the Micro Vibe, I would have saved myself quite a bit of money.

there's also a split second lag when you step on it, some people find it ok some people don't.. but for me it's not a big deal. for the price it's a worth pedal.

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »
This post was really Informative about Univibes!!

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php?topic=12310.10

Maybe we can merge with this thread.....

Plus

I think we dont have a rotary speaker thread in Philmusic. Rotary Speakers and Univibes are different. I think Univibes are modeled after them! Maybe we can make this into a Rotary Speaker and Univibe thread!!

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
Ganda!!!

Ganito ba talaga coolcat vibe?? Anyone have a demo?

Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ08XWwF5AE

Offline tamad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
The Chicken Salad sounds great too. Kaso wala na yata? Don't make me gas for vibes now please. lol.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:48:47 PM by tamad »

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »
Eto Pa!!!

Wehehe

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
In Talks with a local DIY'er na phaser with univibe mode!!!

Wait for it!!

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »