hulika

Author Topic: pinch harmonics  (Read 2733 times)

Offline johnny_jackhammers

• Veteran Member
pinch harmonics
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
i can't seem to get this right, especially on the lowest string. what is the key to getting the best sustain on the pinch harmonics? does it have to do with the brightness of the string in combination of the amp? or is it just plain technique and where you strike it on the string? i can make it come out on the other strings but its particularly hard on the lowest string.

btw my strings are really old now, and also my pickups are lipsticks. they're single coils but not quite.

what do you guys think?

Offline Van*

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: pinch harmonics
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
right technique
What you own, owns you.

Offline brokenstalker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
practice practice practice practice

in the beginning its easy on the G string and quite tricky on the other string
but once u get the feel for u can do it whenever u want

and tip use ur bridge pickup

Offline oracodon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »
It's easier to do pinch harmonics in a high distortion setting, and in the bridge pickup. May posisyon yang pinch harmonics na yan. Try mo sa bawat string, yung picking hand mo ilapit mo sa neck pickup, or sa mid pickup, o sa bridge pickup, dun ka mag pick. Try to look for that screeching sound. Sori kung medyo magulo explanation.

Offline outnote

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »
It's easier to do pinch harmonics in a high distortion setting, and in the bridge pickup. May posisyon yang pinch harmonics na yan. Try mo sa bawat string, yung picking hand mo ilapit mo sa neck pickup, or sa mid pickup, o sa bridge pickup, dun ka mag pick. Try to look for that screeching sound. Sori kung medyo magulo explanation.

This is true but if your technique is right, you can pull off pinch harmonics using any pickup position. I can do pinch harmonics just fine on my neck pup.

You just have to practice.

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
This is true but if your technique is right, you can pull off pinch harmonics using any pickup position. I can do pinch harmonics just fine on my neck pup.

You just have to practice.

yup tama rin yan, you can do it just fine on any pickup given the right technique and practice. you can even do it while using a clean tone too. :-D

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »
ASide from doing the technique, if you want wicked harmonics, gear really come into view.

I can do pinch harmonics quite easily but it really is different from box to box or amp gain to amp gain. Gear are important I believe to pull it off wickedly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:26:30 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
I find the strings low E & G string to be the easiest strings use pinch harmonics... a good vibrato & a fresh set of strings makes harmonics sound more 'alive'.

try mo jazz III picks bro  :)

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »
I find the strings low E & G string to be the easiest strings use pinch harmonics... a good vibrato & a fresh set of strings makes harmonics sound more 'alive'.

try mo jazz III picks bro  :)

Mas madadalian ka mag pinch harmonics. :wink:

Tip (well, not really. It's just what I do): Try to anchor your thumb over the neck, not at the back. Parang sinasakal mo yung buong neck. For me, I find it easier to let out that pinch harmonics when doing this. Oh and iba-ibang sound ng pinch harmonic ang maproproduce mo, depende kung san part ka magpipick. (See oracodon's explanation above.) :-)

OT: Hi mark! :lol: Patago muna SH ko ha. Onting tiis pa sating dalawa. Hehe!
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »
thanks guys. yeah, i guess i need to practice it nga. muscle memory. i can do it on all the strings except the low E.

bwisit.

it comes out, but the decay is short. i find it difficult to sustain the harmonics over the first 3 frets.

sa bagay, maybe it has something to do with my guitar being old. the neck is out of wack.

also maybe the sweet spot for the 3rd fret on the low E string is kinda right above my pick up, and because lipsticks are protruding, the string hits the pickup a bit.

i've been practicing ozzy's no more tears kasi. he he.

bwisit pag di mo mapalabas yung squeal dun sa verse riff. yun yung nagpapabigat e.

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
try going in betweens of your pick ups check mo paisa isa mula sa neck sa middle at bridge pick up, do pinch all over.............may lalabas talaga yan kahit isa lng

Offline TK-JEM555

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »
Practice and Check your guitar setup and strings.
Without even plugging in your guitar you would be able to tell if it will "cooperate"
with harmonics or not. Maririnig mo yun.
Better made guitars (and pickups) deliver the harmonics you want even with just
plain overdrive turned on in your amp (without a dirt pedal at all).
Use a heavy pick.

Try pinching at each fret of each string all the up and down.
Ang sarap niyan pag sanay ka na.

Good Luck :)

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
Practice lang yan bro.
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »
heavier strings better ba?

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
kahit unplugged bro kaya mag pinch harmonics.. kaya mo yan, nagagawa mo nanaman pala eh :lol:
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
Just a tip, don't use too much gain, you lose the natural harmonics of your guitar. Try practicing it in clean first. If you get any pinch sound, then you're getting it already. Then start doing it with dirt while tweaking. Hope this helps!  :-)

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Just a tip, don't use too much gain, you lose the natural harmonics of your guitar. Try practicing it in clean first. If you get any pinch sound, then you're getting it already. Then start doing it with dirt while tweaking. Hope this helps!  :-)

agree. its more of technique rather than the pickups/gain thingy

Offline wireless_system

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
I'm not a really good guitarist. but, i think you should use more distortion to gain confidence(mas madaling patunugin yun). after na nagagawa mo na sa matinding distortion saka mo subukang mag pinch harmonics sa lesser gain until you can make it in clean settings. IMVHO
saka kung gumagamit ka ng noise gate bawasan mo ng konti yung settings para humaba yung sustain.

i usually make the tip of the pick really small, para mas madaling sumagi yung thumb.
"I know that I know nothing"-Socrates

Offline justine3563

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
for me its alot easier to do pag bago yung pick ko...

Practice sir..di ko din makuha to nung una :-D
i love music...more than food!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39:01 AM »
for me its alot easier to do pag bago yung pick ko...

Practice sir..di ko din makuha to nung una :-D

true.. tapos pag kuhang-kuha mo na, minsan naman parang di mo mapigilan ang pinch harmonics.. tipong kahit hindi sinasadya, nagssqueal.. :lol:

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »
true.. tapos pag kuhang-kuha mo na, minsan naman parang di mo mapigilan ang pinch harmonics.. tipong kahit hindi sinasadya, nagssqueal.. :lol:

now that's when control over your technique comes in :-D

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 03:05:45 AM »
i used to have trouble doing this until i totally forgot about it. after a long time i realized i was finally able to pull it off more often (i still miss on occasion though)

guess you could try to focus on another technique so that when you get back to it, you start fresh
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:07:09 AM by ioffendpeople »

Offline xaero

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 03:26:49 AM »
Hirap ipaliwanag to. Search youtube and hopefully you'd find someone there who can show you kung papaano ginagawa yan. Mas ok kung close-up ang kuha sa video para mas madali mo makita yun galaw ng pick and kung saan part ng string tumatama.

eto isa:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:30:09 AM by xaero »

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
I forgot to add that you should note where your fretting hand is, try moving it left/right and see if there is a difference. I believe in different places on the string, you can pinch different notes (with your picking hand) even if your fretting hand is the same. You can test this by using your fretting hand to make a natural harmonic where you supposedly will pinch with your picking hand.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
I forgot to add that you should note where your fretting hand is, try moving it left/right and see if there is a difference. I believe in different places on the string, you can pinch different notes (with your picking hand) even if your fretting hand is the same. You can test this by using your fretting hand to make a natural harmonic where you supposedly will pinch with your picking hand.

good advice. i'm getting decent harmonic overtones when its nearer the left fret on the first 3 frets of the low E. weird, baliktad.