hulika

Author Topic: REMO drumheads and products thread  (Read 115121 times)

Offline DesertFox

Re: REMO drumheads and products thread
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
Just want to ask if somebody here has been using or has used a powersonic head?  Any comments?
القيثارات القاعدة في العالم

Offline 9_spiral

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
nakita ko may mga remo drumheads sa raon, kadalasan pinstripes...parang naka-pile up lang sila...orig ba un? or i mean, na-fafake ba ang remo?

Offline 9_spiral

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2008, 11:22:03 PM »
Just want to ask if somebody here has been using or has used a powersonic head?  Any comments?

i have used powersonic bass drumhead and for me, i find it too muffled on my playing..and di ko gusto ung "thud" sound nya..di rin ako nalalakasan...or maybe dahil mejo low-end lang ung kit...i'm looking for a more "thud" sound with a good sustain, maybe Powerstroke 3 or EMAD2 for my kick..

any reviews on the powerstroke 3? :-)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:26:15 AM by 9_spiral »

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #253 on: December 26, 2008, 12:53:28 AM »
i have used powersonic bass drumhead and for me, i find it too muffled on my playing..and di ko gusto ung "thud" sound nya..di rin ako nalalakasan...or maybe dahil mejo low-end lang ung kit...i'm looking for a more "thud" sound with a good sustain, maybe Powerstroke 3 or EMAD2 for my kick..

any reviews on the powerstroke 3? :-)
Thanks for your input.
I use a Powerstroke 3 clear head  very loud, punchy, and very "aggresive" sounding.  This might be the head for you.

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #254 on: December 26, 2008, 01:02:13 AM »
Thanks for your input.
I use a Powerstroke 3 clear head  very loud, punchy, and very "aggresive" sounding.  This might be the head for you.

can you also compare this to 22" pinstripes? medyo nalilito pa ko sa bibilin ko kasi...thud sound is what i look for.. which give the better thud?

maraming salamat! :-P
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

"Its better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2008, 05:11:40 AM »
tanung ko lang po, ok po ba yung combination na ganito?

toms= pinstripe batter , clear emperor reso
bass= powerstroke 3 batter and reso
snare= emperor batter, hazy ambassador reso

gusto ko sana makuha yung pang rock type na tunog, ayos kaya itong combinations ko? baka may ideas kayo na mai share.

thanks, really need help.
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

Offline thegreatone

« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »

gusto ko sana makuha yung pang rock type na tunog, ayos kaya itong combinations ko? baka may ideas kayo na mai share.

bro, here are my suggestions:

toms: pinstripes are ok, but for your resos, you can use clear ambassadors instead of emperors. ambassadors are 1-ply heads, and they resonate better vs. 2-ply heads (emperors). mas bagay ang emperor as batter, not as reso.
bass: panalo ang powerstroke 3 on both sides!!!  :evil:
snare: emperor or emperor x? sa tunog na gusto mo, oks ang emperor x bro.  :-D ok din yung hazy ambo as reso.

hope this helps bro.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
can you also compare this to 22" pinstripes? medyo nalilito pa ko sa bibilin ko kasi...thud sound is what i look for.. which give the better thud?

maraming salamat! :-P
Pinstripes are ok but Powerstroke 3 is better.  If you want a double ply head you can try the Powerstroke 4.
PS3 gives a more focused tone and thud than those two-ply heads.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »

My current set-up is:
Toms= Clear Emperor Batter, Diplomat Reso
Bass= Powerstroke 3 + Falam Slam Patch
Snare= Emperor X, Hazy Ambassador snare side

Emperors IMO gives you that classic rock tones and probably the loudest of all weatherking heads.

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #259 on: December 31, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
@thegreatone
ayos salamat ng marami! really need those opinion.
i just thought emperor would make a darker sound sa tom kung ginamit syang reso.hehe but ill take your advice sir, i think i'd go for that.

@desertfox
thanks a lot! go na ko sa powerstroke3 for the bass!
and i'd probably change my batter to emperor x too, medyo nagsasawa na agad ako sa coated ambassador.

lets say both sides of the bass has a powerstroke3, do i still need to put pillows, etc sa loob? for thad really thud sound?

marami salamat! these helped a lot!

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #260 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:28 AM »
Ako I put just a little pillow barely touching the batter head because the PS3 has muffling ring na.  You'll sacrifice volume if you put too much muffling in there.  just experiment.

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #261 on: December 31, 2008, 01:41:55 AM »
Ako I put just a little pillow barely touching the batter head because the PS3 has muffling ring na.  You'll sacrifice volume if you put too much muffling in there.  just experiment.
thanks dessert fox!

Offline 9_spiral

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #262 on: December 31, 2008, 03:32:42 AM »
gusto ko walang pillow sa loob ng bass drum for me to have that boom sound na hinahanap ko...well that's just my preference...of course, plus proper tuning. Check out Bob Gatzen on youtube... :-D

Offline simplypao

• Netizen Level
« Reply #263 on: January 01, 2009, 03:36:12 AM »
im just curious about the heads i bought yesterday at jb. I bought a 12" and a 16" ambassador coated. first thing i noticed was the difference in the size of logo they have. the 12" has a bigger logo than the 16". I also compared this to the 14" i got and both 16 and 14 are of the same sized logo. then it came to putting the head on the drums and tuning. all went well and i immediately proceeded to playing my kit after some hours of cleaning and tuning my drums. the sound was good. but the problem is that the 12" scratched easily having some of the coating removed while the other heads just got stick marks. Could it be that the 12 i got is of lower quality than the other heads? could it possibly be fake? do such discrepancies happen when getting some new heads?

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
im just curious about the heads i bought yesterday at jb. I bought a 12" and a 16" ambassador coated. first thing i noticed was the difference in the size of logo they have. the 12" has a bigger logo than the 16". I also compared this to the 14" i got and both 16 and 14 are of the same sized logo. then it came to putting the head on the drums and tuning. all went well and i immediately proceeded to playing my kit after some hours of cleaning and tuning my drums. the sound was good. but the problem is that the 12" scratched easily having some of the coating removed while the other heads just got stick marks. Could it be that the 12 i got is of lower quality than the other heads? could it possibly be fake? do such discrepancies happen when getting some new heads?

san po yung JB na branch na ito? sana hindi fake ito,
pwede rin na yung 12"  are the most usual tom you hit than the 16" pero you have a 14" and i assume sa snare mo yun... so dapat natangal din yung coating nito.
maybe you should call for that jb branch.

i also have a 14" coated ambassador and its coating is starting to fade siguro dahil na rin na heavy hitter ako.

Offline deej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #265 on: January 02, 2009, 03:14:16 PM »

based on my experience in changing my drumheads, the remo heads w/ the bigger logos are the newly manufactured heads, the old ones have a smaller logo on them...old stock na yung nakuha mo siguro na 16 head, pero i don't think iba quality nito, ok pa din yan...and about the scratches, mas madali nga talaga matanggal yung coating nang mga bagong ambassador, again this is based on my own experience, and I don't know why...baka may mga kapatid tayo dito who could explain this. :-)

I'm sure naman hindi magbebenta ang JB music nang fake REMO heads, baka iba lang siguro yung pag manufacture nang heads ngayon or hindi talaga maiwasan na magkaroon nang discrepancies sa pag gawa... :-)
lafolo yati, "the voice of the man who knows through the drum."

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2009, 04:56:11 AM »
meron na nga ba nakasubok ng emperors para s reso ng toms? and to be precise, gaya ng sinulat ko before pinstripe for batter at emperor for reso.
just wondering. :-P

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
haha.

Sa pinstripe, may pagka flat yung sound niya.
pero sa emperor naman, hindi ko maisipi eh. I use emperor X for my snare, hindi ko naman makita yung pinagkaiba. may konti lang akong napansin, parang mas loud at live yung sound niya.
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
just got my drumheads kanina.hehe i followed thegreatone's tips, 12", 13", 16" pinstripes and clear ambassadors at isang powerstroke3, isa lang kasi ala na pera.. :-P

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Congrats bro...keep on smashing!   :-D

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2009, 09:09:10 PM »
hehe salamat bro!
cheers!

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
may tanung lang ako...hehe
para san po ang port hole sa bass drum? ano pong difference nito sa walang port hole?
salamat!

Offline thegreatone

« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2009, 03:06:14 AM »
just got my drumheads kanina.hehe i followed thegreatone's tips, 12", 13", 16" pinstripes and clear ambassadors at isang powerstroke3, isa lang kasi ala na pera.. :-P

ayus! your kit will sound great with the right tuning. congrats bro! :)

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:25 AM »
hehe sana nga sir! actually di ko pa nakakbit,isang reason na din kasi gabi na ko nakauwi...magagalit na sila neighbors..hehe and the other reason eh, since tinangal ko na yung drum heads, better kalasin ko na lahat for a major clean-up and maintenance!hehe

thanks for the tip again!

amen for the drummers!

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »
may tanung lang ako...hehe
para san po ang port hole sa bass drum? ano pong difference nito sa walang port hole?
salamat!
The mic porthole besides being there for miking the drum live, provides a little more "thud" to your bass drum.  It get's rid of some resonance and ringing which is why rock drummers prefer it and jazz drummers (who want the full tone of a singing bass drum) hate it.