hulika

Author Topic: Max Rufo Pickups Thread  (Read 65765 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Max Rufo Pickups Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
@Poundcake..

ask ko lang kung san na napunta yung original thread about Mang Max's guitars and basses? Thanks.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »
I don't agree with this post. "Good" is relative. It's always a function of perception, taste and experience. What might sound good to you now won't sound as good anymore if you've already tried out other brands. Take my case for example, I used to be blown away by my Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion humbucker when I bought one and I used it as my standard of how a good high gain pickup should sound. After trying a Suhr DSH, it completely redefined my standards. Then came the Bareknuckle Nailbomb, etc.

Our ears can evaluate a piece of equipment as being "good enough" or not for any genre or application but our definition of what's really good will always change as we try more and more great sounding gear. Be open-minded, everyone.

totally agree with you on this.  however, since frivers already provided a more or less detailed description of how the Max Rufo pickup sounded like, i didn't see the need to question the pickups he owned previously. 
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »
@Poundcake..

ask ko lang kung san na napunta yung original thread about Mang Max's guitars and basses? Thanks.

+1, di ko narin makita yung thread

Offline ron21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
@Poundcake..

+1, di ko narin makita yung thread

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,56756.4650.html

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
The original thread went to page 2 because I split the thread into two parts. All the posts about Max Rufo pickups have been transferred to this thread.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline gijira

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04:32 PM »
totally agree with you on this.  however, since frivers already provided a more or less detailed description of how the Max Rufo pickup sounded like, i didn't see the need to question the pickups he owned previously. 

maxi, galing ako kanina kay max to see a plank of wood with fiddleback figure, he showed me his new pup, yet to be applied for patent. single coil daw, pero parang humbucker. nagdemo sya, kamuntik maahit ang buhok sa talim. binuksan ko flourescent bulb nya, tahimik! may setting din sya nag magtutunog humbucker, di ko rin maintindihan kung pano. he was trying to explain to me how the stuff works, i just pretended i understand everything... i was busy playing the guitar!

the first time we a/b'd  his original noiseless sc pup equiped tele to my hiway1 tele, medyo umuwi ako malungkot parang mas tele pa yung tunog nung sa kanya! :cry:
"eat with gusto!
  love passionately!
    play your guitar more!"

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
i just hope that when you do try them out, you keep an open mind and not tend to be biased just because it's local or whatever other factor that made you skeptical about it. :wink:

Send me a sample for review. 

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Max Rufo's Custom noiseless single coil pickups
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »
purong single coil ba ito o stacked? nung sinubukan ko kasi tunog humbucker e. kung nasubukan niyo na yung P90 "humbuckers" ng DiMarzio, halos ganito tunog non. A little muffled during high gain applications.

Kung hanap niyo ay yung classic shimmery strat tone, di neto kaya yun sa palagay ko. I'm curious to see the winding and how it was made.

interesting, was it this 'tele' guitar you tried? if its non shimmery and is humbucker sounding then its not truly a single coil..some beefed up version?

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2010, 03:53:00 AM »
Ive tested the pups on the surfgreen tele that he has,,

Well it was a bomb! nice sparkling tone i wish i had those on my strat the man was humble enough that it needs tweaking but for some that would be enough i would like to try one and see how it works on a band setting  :-D :-D
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
Send me a sample for review. 

Alex, noone needs to send you anything. Just go there yourself and give it a try, then make a review. That simple. And I'm saying this as a nice fellow. :wink:

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
i was gonna say "send me a sample for review too" but it's better no to :-D

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
i was gonna say "send me a sample for review too" but it's better no to :-D

Good thinking, man.haha :-D

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »
If he plays like Sir Anton, Aya, Chad or Obetskie. I would be very happy to send one.. :wink:

Offline shkc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2010, 05:41:04 PM »
If he plays like Sir Anton, Aya, Chad or Obetskie. I would be very happy to send one.. :wink:

+1 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
Alex, noone needs to send you anything. Just go there yourself and give it a try, then make a review. That simple. And I'm saying this as a nice fellow. :wink:

I need to test the pickups on the guitar and amp setup I am familiar with.  The correct way to test pickups is to take out your current pickups, install the new pickups on the guitar that you are familiar with and plug it into an amp set up that you would use.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »

Well I thought open minded kayo for review.  Ok lang, sinusubukan ko lang tulungan si Max.  I have exposure to good sounding equipment that they don't.

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:06 PM »
alex has a point  send him a sample, alex has lots of experience on lotsa so called boutique pup and i think marereview nya yung pickup ng maige....or may be bili kana alex you can always sell it here if you dont like it diba
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:01 PM »
Well I thought open minded kayo for review.  Ok lang, sinusubukan ko lang tulungan si Max.  I have exposure to good sounding equipment that they don't.

have him build you one, and if you dont like it send it to me as a freebie
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:11:22 PM by bryanarzaga »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
alex has a point  send him a sample, alex has lots of experience on lotsa so called boutique pup and i think marereview nya yung pickup ng maige....or may be bili kana alex you can always sell it here if you dont like it diba

I would rather not purchase and know the price.  I might get biased if I knew the price which makes it harder to review.  

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
have him build you one, and if you dont like it send it to me as swag

Right now, I don't see any reason to buy his pickup.  So it has to impress me from the get-go. My personal opinion is he doesn't have the exposure and the necessary skills to make magical sounding pickups which could all change after I try them but since he and his crew are trying to make the sale, they should send a sample.  In my personal experience, the great pickup makers -- the good sounding ones for me -- don't even make guitars or have stopped making guitars to focus on their pickups. 

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
Right now, I don't see any reason to buy his pickup.  So it has to impress me from the get-go. My personal opinion is he doesn't have the exposure and the necessary skills to make magical sounding pickups which could all change after I try them but since he and his crew are trying to make the sale, they should send a sample.  In my personal experience, the great pickup makers -- the good sounding ones for me -- don't even make guitars or have stopped making guitars to focus on their pickups. 

i see your point you want to be inspired to buy one..

so anyway to all if it has an introductory price like how those belcat, eden and artec pickups i would definitely get one..belcat and artec single coils(30 usd a set), eden is at 40 a set..

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
In my personal experience, the great pickup makers -- the good sounding ones for me -- don't even make guitars or have stopped making guitars to focus on their pickups. 

Had a discussion with Mang Max a couple of weeks ago. If he gets a good opportunity on his new pickups, he might stop on building/repairing guitars and concentrate on building pickups instead. Right now, guitar making/repair is still Mang Max's bread and butter.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
I would rather not purchase and know the price.  I might get biased if I knew the price which makes it harder to review.  

alex, why don't you just drop by mang max's place on your free time? bring your guitar too so you can compare. i bet mang max would appreciate inputs from somebody who have more experience in high end stuffs. who knows he might even ask your advice next time. :wink:
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
alex, why don't you just drop by mang max's place on your free time? bring your guitar too so you can compare. i bet mang max would appreciate inputs from somebody who have more experience in high end stuffs. who knows he might even ask your advice next time. :wink:

Thanks for the invite but I need the pickups on my amplifier set up too.  I also need a couple of days to test to go thru the different amps and effects.  More importantly, I have to test thru different volume levels which might be too much.