hulika

Author Topic: Mastering the track that you mixed  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
Mastering the track that you mixed
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »
Mga sir tanong ko lang mortal sin ba talaga na ikaw rin ang magmaster ng song na ikaw ang nagmix? May narinig kasi ako na maspreferable daw na magkaibang tao sana ang gagawa nun. Newb question lang. Hingi sana ako ng comments and suggestions. Ü

Ps. Pakibura nalang mga mods kung meron nang ganitong thread.

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Mastering the track that you mixed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
bro naman grabe naman yun. kaw na magmaster. walang bawal bawal. gusto lang kumita nun.  :lol:

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
^^ Thanks for the reply bro!!! Ano pa mga inputs nyo mga pro audio bros? :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
Mga sir tanong ko lang mortal sin ba talaga na ikaw rin ang magmaster ng song na ikaw ang nagmix? May narinig kasi ako na maspreferable daw na magkaibang tao sana ang gagawa nun.

No law that says otherwise, but it is more recommended that another person, preferably with 'golden ears', be the one who performs the mastering.

Why?

For one thing, that person may be disinterested, hence more capable of making objective judgments on what to do with the mix. The saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' may apply here since you may know a mix so well that you hear every flaw that you will attempt to master out. My advice? Mix your best, but set a finite time to finish it, sign it off then send it to mastering because in all honesty, a mix is NEVER finished.

It's been my experience that most people who mix then master afterwards tend to favor a musical instrument which happens to be their favorite or something that they personally play. That's how I can tell if the person who mastered something is a guitarist, or a drummer, or someone who loves string ensembles blah blah blah because those are the instruments that turn out so beautifully in the mix... to the detriment of everything else.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »
tama si sir kitc. try mo muna bro pag di ka kuntento dalin mo na sa pro. ready ka lang ng pesos.  :lol: Or masterin mo muna or mix. tapos yung isa naman sa pro. compare mo.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
No law that says otherwise, but it is more recommended that another person, preferably with 'golden ears', be the one who performs the mastering.

Why?

For one thing, that person may be disinterested, hence more capable of making objective judgments on what to do with the mix. The saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' may apply here since you may know a mix so well that you hear every flaw that you will attempt to master out. My advice? Mix your best, but set a finite time to finish it, sign it off then send it to mastering because in all honesty, a mix is NEVER finished.

It's been my experience that most people who mix then master afterwards tend to favor a musical instrument which happens to be their favorite or something that they personally play. That's how I can tell if the person who mastered something is a guitarist, or a drummer, or someone who loves string ensembles blah blah blah because those are the instruments that turn out so beautifully in the mix... to the detriment of everything else.
YES!!! Tinapos mo sir Kit!!!! :-D :-D :-D

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:34:57 AM »
another alternative: After mixing it, get another recording session, then mix it. tapos balikan mo yung nauna for mastering. basta ba hindi nagmamadali ang client eh. ITS ON YOUR EARS TO DECIDE.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:54:30 AM »
Ang problema karamihan sa mga clinets nagmamadali e. :lol:
Pero salamat sir maganda yung tip ninyo!! :-D

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:51 AM »
Ang problema karamihan sa mga clinets nagmamadali e. :lol:
Pero salamat sir maganda yung tip ninyo!! :-D
tell them, rushing makes no sense. baka di nila magustuhan afterwards. MASTERING takes time. LOT OF TIME.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:44:44 PM »
tell them, rushing makes no sense. baka di nila magustuhan afterwards. MASTERING takes time. LOT OF TIME.
Isang malaking TOMOH sir!!!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
A few thoughts I've learned in the field of recording in the past decade:

1.  Mastering (even with a qualified mastering engineer and facility) CANNOT save a bad mix.

2.  (as per what Kit said) The mastering engineer has a totally different perspective on your mix.  Hence, it would be better to have him do the job than you, provided that he does it in a neutral environment, with professional MASTERING equipment (i.e. high-end A/D and D/A converters, transparent peak limiters, better 'fattening' compressors, superior monitoring, etc.)

3.  On the contrary, if the goal of the mastering process is to louden it up to hypercompression, you are essentially aimed at DESTROYING the dynamics of your mix.  Thus, it is a tough call to let the mix go through a separate mastering facility.  You might pay huge sums for a Mastering Engineer that can make your mix so whimpy, and in some cases, it would be better if the mixing engineer would 'pseudomaster' because he knows the dynamic nature of the mix.

4.  But then again, mixing engineers cannot easily louden up a mix because they might not have the proper tools to do so (i.e. better OUTBOARD equipment as seen in mastering houses.)

5.  If the client has limited budget, he would settle for a pseudo-mastered mix by the mixing engineer if he feels that the overall harmonic balance (and arguably, loudness) of the mix is up to snuff. 

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
A few thoughts I've learned in the field of recording in the past decade:

1.  Mastering (even with a qualified mastering engineer and facility) CANNOT save a bad mix.

2.  (as per what Kit said) The mastering engineer has a totally different perspective on your mix.  Hence, it would be better to have him do the job than you, provided that he does it in a neutral environment, with professional MASTERING equipment (i.e. high-end A/D and D/A converters, transparent peak limiters, better 'fattening' compressors, superior monitoring, etc.)

3.  On the contrary, if the goal of the mastering process is to louden it up to hypercompression, you are essentially aimed at DESTROYING the dynamics of your mix.  Thus, it is a tough call to let the mix go through a separate mastering facility.  You might pay huge sums for a Mastering Engineer that can make your mix so whimpy, and in some cases, it would be better if the mixing engineer would 'pseudomaster' because he knows the dynamic nature of the mix.

4.  But then again, mixing engineers cannot easily louden up a mix because they might not have the proper tools to do so (i.e. better OUTBOARD equipment as seen in mastering houses.)

5.  If the client has limited budget, he would settle for a pseudo-mastered mix by the mixing engineer if he feels that the overall harmonic balance (and arguably, loudness) of the mix is up to snuff. 

Nice points sir!! Noted!! :-D

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 01:12:04 PM »
San ba me mastering studio dito sa Manila?
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
Ptr Bri, there are a lot of online mastering studios.  You usually need to send it through ftp and they send you the master disc or ftp the cd master image via ftp.  Locally, the last time I saw a DEDICATED mastering studio is Zach Lucero's.  Most other mastering that you see in the local records are done also in multi-track studios. 

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
I see
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:41:39 AM »
Ptr Bri, there are a lot of online mastering studios.  You usually need to send it through ftp and they send you the master disc or ftp the cd master image via ftp.  Locally, the last time I saw a DEDICATED mastering studio is Zach Lucero's.  Most other mastering that you see in the local records are done also in multi-track studios. 

Sir newbie question ano yun "ftp"?

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
Sir newbie question ano yun "ftp"?

talaga kaw xelly ha... ang kulet... ahhahaa... kilala kita ... newbie ka dyan....  :evil:

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:26 AM »
talaga kaw xelly ha... ang kulet... ahhahaa... kilala kita ... newbie ka dyan....  :evil:
Naku seryoso bro hindi ko talaga alam!! Promise!!! Marami kasi akong post sa guitar central eh. Ngayon lang ako naging interested talaga sa recording.  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »
FTP - File Transfer Protocol, it's like http since it also indicates a web address, and also a little like irc but geared more for file/data transfer.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »
^^ Ah ok gets!!! So yung pagkadownload ng file is wav form tama ba sir?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »
It can be in any format. ftp is like opening up a user directory in a remote computer. You can see the contents of the assigned directory and you can even navigate up or down the directory structure depending on the permissions given by the admin of the remote pc.

Offline imacRuel1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
I have a copy of Ipswitch Pro FTP Client...just to help you out Xelly!  :roll:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
FTP - File Transfer Protocol, it's like http since it also indicates a web address, and also a little like irc but geared more for file/data transfer.

I remember the days of ol' ftp, when there was no Napster.  The upload to download ratios, and the ftp requests from the server. :D