hulika

Author Topic: PRS guitar sa JB ok b?  (Read 8177 times)

Offline myk

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha
Quote from: illbimbo
mahal sya sa totoo lang dun nalang ako sa dean nila or hamer good quality din, kung usa yung prs nila for a 100 or 150k not bad pero for a korea? forget it[/b]

From where I stand naman, many US made guitars are way overpriced -- there is a certain "artificiality" to these price levels purely based on the panache of the name combined with the "made in the USA" label, not based on the inherent value of the materials, craftsmanship, nor the labor costs associated with producing it. They are priced this way because the the marketing guys have convinced the public that these objects are worth that kind of money, and the public has bought it. And that, of course, is the free market and the magic of capitalism at its finest.

That someone would say that a P150k US made PRS is OK at more than 5 times the price of a Korean counterpart ("forget it" at P27k) just because it's Korean really does just prove the point. Pero no problem -- it's a great thing -- more good guitars for the rest of us.  :lol:

yah totally agree with you buddha.. hmmm.. baka pagiipunan ko na ito! :P

pati pla sa guitars ang korea astig na.. me sa basketball at mga koreanovelas..

ano pla diffrences nila sa Parker Fly na guitars? some of my friends told me na same price daw sila na parang bumili ka daw ng kotse :D
I have your mascara on my sleep

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:25 PM »
Sikat ang Parker Fly sa pagkakaroon ng piezo transducers at the bridge...so they're capable of acoustic tones. Sila lang ang company na alam ko na kinarir ang paggawa ng ganyan. :lol:

Offline sunnyr

• Philmusicus Noobitus
very gud
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »
Nice reading this thread. Keep it coming.

Chito

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 01:02:58 AM »
Get the PRS Soapbar SE! I now have 2 of them. I'll put the blame on bluebuddah for the second one (a pre-lawsuit SC Soapbar SE). hahahaha Seriously, they're excellent value for money.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 01:21:22 AM »
Hahaha Chito!!! So you got the SC Soapy! Am green with envy and still seriously gassing for one. I ended up way too busy to see that other one through so I still haven't acted on it.  :cry:

So tell me.... what's the verdict relative to the soapy II?

Offline greggy

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 01:36:31 AM »
Quote from: Red_Strat
Sikat ang Parker Fly sa pagkakaroon ng piezo transducers at the bridge...so they're capable of acoustic tones. Sila lang ang company na alam ko na kinarir ang paggawa ng ganyan. :lol:

nope, mayroon pa...PRS makes those guitars too...the Hollowbody II.. remember Incubus?
I think Parker  Fly is also famous for their conical neck shaped guitars and stainless steel frets...
the Blues had a baby and they named it Rock n' Roll

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 02:49:21 AM »
Quote from: myk

ano pla diffrences nila sa Parker Fly na guitars? some of my friends told me na same price daw sila na parang bumili ka daw ng kotse :D

Oh boy, hard to figure out exactly where to begin... The only two things a PRS SE Soapbar II and a Parker Fly have in common are that they both have 6 strings. Other that.....:

lightweight at 5-6.5 lbs
3x3 tuners
medium chunky neck
rosewood board
all mahogany body and neck
2 single coil P90s
3-way selector switch (B/B&N/N)
1 vol, 1 tone
1 output jack
1 piece wrap around bridge/tailpiece
Overall, a very vintage vibe -- the essentials for an electric guitar.
@USD$400 = Php24,000 (@27,000 retail in Manila)

extremely lightweight at 4.5-5 lbs
6-in line locking tuners
very thin, wide neck
carbon fiber board with stainless steel frets
basswood or poplar body and neck with carbon fiber exoskeleton
2 humbucker pickups with coil tap, piezo equipped bridge pickups
active electronics
3-way selector switch for magnetic pu's (B/B&N/N)
3-way selector switch for piezo/piezo-magnetic blend/magnetics
master vol, magnetic vol, magnetic tone, concentric piezo volume/tone
Stereo PL output jack, stereo/mono button
Special design tremolo bridge with whammy bar
Bridge locking dial
Overall "Star Trek meets Star Wars" vibe -- all the bells and whistles to make this thing a tonal chameleon at the flick of a switch.
@USD$2,000 = Php120,000 (none retailing in Manila)

Just completely different animals -- can't really compare them at all.  #-o

Chito

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 02:57:22 AM »
Hahaha Chito!!! So you got the SC Soapy! Am green with envy and still seriously gassing for one. I ended up way too busy to see that other one through so I still haven't acted on it.  :cry:

So tell me.... what's the verdict relative to the soapy II?

:mrgreen: Actually it was my girlfriend who bought it! :D :D :D She thought it was a good investment specially after showing her your review and all the rest of your guitars with the comment that you prefer the PRS Soapbars than the rest of em! hehehehe And the best part is, she doesn't mind me using it as my "backup" guitar. hahahahaha

As for how it sounds, it's pretty much like the same guitar to me just a little bit brighter sounding. I lowered the action a bit coz it was setup higher than I would prefer but I have not changed the strings nor used it much so that could be it too. Might just be because the seller put on new strings on it.  I also like the feel of the SE II better as I noticed the SC seem to be neck heavy. As you've mentioned in your review, one thing these guitars epitomize is their simplicity which is even becomes more pronounce on the Single Cut as it is a simpler design.

Bottomline, for $500.00 CDN it's a steal. Specially if PRS decides not to reissue it which I doubt they would as they already have the SC SE maple top and the SE II for their Soapbar SE line.

Offline myk

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 09:27:06 AM »
Quote from: myk

Oh boy, hard to figure out exactly where to begin... The only two things a PRS SE Soapbar II and a Parker Fly have in common are that they both have 6 strings. Other that.....:

lightweight at 5-6.5 lbs
3x3 tuners
medium chunky neck
rosewood board
all mahogany body and neck
2 single coil P90s
3-way selector switch (B/B&N/N)
1 vol, 1 tone
1 output jack
1 piece wrap around bridge/tailpiece
Overall, a very vintage vibe -- the essentials for an electric guitar.
@USD$400 = Php24,000 (@27,000 retail in Manila)

extremely lightweight at 4.5-5 lbs
6-in line locking tuners
very thin, wide neck
carbon fiber board with stainless steel frets
basswood or poplar body and neck with carbon fiber exoskeleton
2 humbucker pickups with coil tap, piezo equipped bridge pickups
active electronics
3-way selector switch for magnetic pu's (B/B&N/N)
3-way selector switch for piezo/piezo-magnetic blend/magnetics
master vol, magnetic vol, magnetic tone, concentric piezo volume/tone
Stereo PL output jack, stereo/mono button
Special design tremolo bridge with whammy bar
Bridge locking dial
Overall "Star Trek meets Star Wars" vibe -- all the bells and whistles to make this thing a tonal chameleon at the flick of a switch.
@USD$2,000 = Php120,000 (none retailing in Manila)

Just completely different animals -- can't really compare them at all.  #-o

hmm interesting astig yung guitars nyo sir :D kaiinggit..

bket walang nagbebenta sa pinas ng parker fly?
I have your mascara on my sleep

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 09:38:53 AM »
helo..blue buddha.. :wink:

is PHP27,000 the retail price of PRS SE Soapbar II here in manila? or this is just an estimate ?
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 09:41:38 AM »
just went to the JB music website.. (www.jbmusic.com.ph)

the retail price for the PRS SE Soapbar II is Php34,800  :cry:
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 09:50:48 AM »
One payment cash price in-store at JB is P27,280.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »
Quote from: Chito

:mrgreen: Actually it was my girlfriend who bought it! :D :D :D She thought it was a good investment specially after showing her your review and all the rest of your guitars with the comment that you prefer the PRS Soapbars than the rest of em! hehehehe And the best part is, she doesn't mind me using it as my "backup" guitar. hahahahaha

As for how it sounds, it's pretty much like the same guitar to me just a little bit brighter sounding. I lowered the action a bit coz it was setup higher than I would prefer but I have not changed the strings nor used it much so that could be it too. Might just be because the seller put on new strings on it.  I also like the feel of the SE II better as I noticed the SC seem to be neck heavy. As you've mentioned in your review, one thing these guitars epitomize is their simplicity which is even becomes more pronounce on the Single Cut as it is a simpler design.

Bottomline, for $500.00 CDN it's a steal. Specially if PRS decides not to reissue it which I doubt they would as they already have the SC SE maple top and the SE II for their Soapbar SE line.

That's it -- I like your girlfriend already! She's clearly the right person for you -- buys you a guitar on the basis of a review by a nut like me?!  :shock:  Wow -- you better be good to her!

Interesting that you say it's a brighter guitar -- would have thought that there might be a little more beef. More wood, more meaty neck joint. You might try checking and tweaking the pickup heights -- P90s are famously sensitive to height setting: closer to strings = more beef and mids, further from strings = clearer, emphasis on highs.

The simplicity is tops, and at CDN$500 that is a steal! Now I'm seriously itchy...  :lol:

Offline drixs76

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 05:52:21 PM »
Hayop!!! kadaming nagrply hindi ko n nga maintindihan ung iba hehehehehe!!!, nand2 talaga magagaling. nabanggit nyo hammer s JB mas mura nga at ok din itsura parang prs din ok din b tunog?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 09:56:09 PM »
Quote from: drixs76
Hayop!!! kadaming nagrply hindi ko n nga maintindihan ung iba hehehehehe!!!

Nagtanong ka kasi e.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 10:08:04 AM »
BB,

since we're still on the topic of the PRS Soapy, and I'm sure the thread owner will also appreciate this, let me ask this question...

What od/gain pedals seem to go well with this particular guitar (either with a solidstate or tube amp)?

I know you are more of a plug-straight-into-the-amp kind of guitar player, but we'd appreciate any tidbits of useful info you can share!
 :D

Chito,

may I pose the same question to you?

Thanks guys!

Offline toybitz

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »
Aha!  Now I know what you're gassing for!
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
BB,

since we're still on the topic of the PRS Soapy, and I'm sure the thread owner will also appreciate this, let me ask this question...

What od/gain pedals seem to go well with this particular guitar (either with a solidstate or tube amp)?

I know you are more of a plug-straight-into-the-amp kind of guitar player, but we'd appreciate any tidbits of useful info you can share!
 :D

Chito,

may I pose the same question to you?

Thanks guys!

I've only tried these guitars through 3 OD pedals at home -- a ts808, a ts9 and a klon centaur -- all with excellent results through tube amps.

Offline wutuwutu

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
mga sir, how about ung PRS tremonti se??? grey colored guitar sya worth 38 thou dito sa jb sm davao, watcha think?  :roll:

kasi ung friend ko me plan sya bilhin un (without thinking) and since bagong bukas pa ung JB dito sa davao, mas lalong nagpalakas ng GAS attack sa kasama ko.. (anyway, pwede ko daaw hiramin kung me tugtug ako kaya, ok, y not.. :twisted: )
Steady lang...

Offline wutuwutu

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 05:30:42 PM »
mga sir, how about ung PRS tremonti se??? grey colored guitar sya worth 38 thou dito sa jb sm davao, watcha think?  :roll:

kasi ung friend ko me plan sya bilhin un (without thinking) and since bagong bukas pa ung JB dito sa davao, mas lalong nagpalakas ng GAS attack sa kasama ko.. (anyway, pwede ko daaw hiramin kung me tugtug ako kaya, ok, y not.. :twisted: )
Steady lang...

Chito

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »
Since the Soapbar is my main guitar, I've used it with all the Distortion/OD pedals I have: DS-1, Keeley Modded DS-1, DF-1, OS-2, SD-1, BD-2, Fulltone OCD and a Tonebone Classic.

On my present setup, I use the BD-2 for boosting, OCD for a "lighter" overdrive sound and  the Tonebone for the heavy distortion. BTW, we play classic rock (70s to present) in the band I'm in.

Personally I think it works with any pedal you would want to use with it. But I would say that you would be able to really appreciate how good the guitar is, when you play it clean through an amp with a good clean channel. The combination of the solid mahogany with the P90's really shine.

Hope that helps!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2006, 06:21:50 PM »
Thanks, blue buddha and Chito. Your replies are most helpful. My GAS has not abated or deflated!  :wink:

Offline sunnyr

• Philmusicus Noobitus
GASH
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2006, 08:31:19 PM »
Oh my Gash! It is building up.

Chito

PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »

That's it -- I like your girlfriend already! She's clearly the right person for you -- buys you a guitar on the basis of a review by a nut like me?!  :shock:  Wow -- you better be good to her!

Well she's not aware that you are nuts.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: She's wonderful. Supports everything I do. She's my band manager, roadie, groupie, photographer, etc.. amongst other things. And most of all my most avid admirer! What more can I ask for. Okay well except maybe more gear...  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry for  the OT guys...

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
PRS guitar sa JB ok b?
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »
Quote from: Chito

Well she's not aware that you are nuts.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: She's wonderful. Supports everything I do. She's my band manager, roadie, groupie, photographer, etc.. amongst other things. And most of all my most avid admirer! What more can I ask for. Okay well except maybe more gear...  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry for  the OT guys...

=D>  8)