hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 57291 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
I can assure you that 95% sell because panget ang tunog.... the remaining 5% sell because they really need the cash or have a duplicate of the what they are selling.  Alam mo kasi, kung magandang tunog ng isang gitara talagang people hold onto it.  And given that good/great sounding guitars are rare indeed, kaya maraming benta sa classifieds.  Lets be honest with ourselves, if it was otherwise -- that 95% of the guitars being sold sa classifieds sound good -- then guitarists would be the dumbest lot of musicians for selling that many good sounding instruments.

Nah! 95% is too much. I'd have to say it's somewhere between 80-85%. Then again, some or most folks who sell their items here don't really think their gears are bad-sounding. Could be that they just found a much better sounding piece of gear or equipment that's why. Finding a much better equipment doesn't necessarily mean what you currently have is crap. Some things just work better for 'em.

Alex, kahit anong ganda at kamahal ng gamit mo, kung kapit ka na sa patalim at talagang kelangan mo ng pera for emergency and for whatever reason, bibitiwan mo din yan. Life is more important than holding on to tangible things you know you can replace or buy back someday.

I'm not sure if all of you guys are familiar with this story, but, when Michael Schenker was struck by a series of unfortunate events and misfortune, at the time when he was facing the hard economic reality in the early 2000, Michael was forced to sell $200,000 worth of his studio equipment just to ease his debt load. When that didn't do enough, the day he fears the most has finally come. He finds himself once again in the same predicament where he had no choice but to let go of something that's of golden value and something that has been very dear to him. This time, the sacrificial lambs were his three (3) black and white Gibson Flying Vs, the guitar, his partner(s) in crime so to speak, which he has forged his signature to the music and guitar world. Michael was so well-linked to those flying vs that he's the first person you think of when you see a flying v guitar. Mr. Schenker was homeless by 2002.

With God's grace and mercy, Michael is doin' great now. He's in a better life condition and he is once again playing music. He now has his life back. Now, I won't delve too much on that part of his life but now, you get the picture.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
How do you define MAGIC sir

is it the TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IIINNNNNGGGG????

haha

Seriously, How will you be able to produce great tones? how will you be able to prove to me or to us, or influence poeple with your points of view and beliefs when you arent that a good player?... no offense sir but thats the truth...

many guitar legends can produce GREAT tones, can express their Music Spiritually, Emotionaly, with alll of their hearts and soul without the MAGIC that you are talking about...

So you are saying that you are a better player than I?

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
 :roll:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
So you are saying that you are a better player than I?

Woah! So, does this mean we're gonna have a skill/talent shootout? Can't wait! :evil:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Nah! 95% is too much. I'd have to say it's somewhere between 80-85%. Then again, some or most folks who sell their items here don't really think their gears are bad-sounding. Could be that they just found a much better sounding piece of gear or equipment that's why. Finding a much better equipment doesn't necessarily mean what you currently have is crap. Some things just work better for 'em.

Alex, kahit anong ganda at kamahal ng gamit mo, kung kapit ka na sa patalim at talagang kelangan mo ng pera for emergency and for whatever reason, bibitiwan mo din yan. Life is more important than holding on to tangible things you know you can replace or buy back someday.

I'm not sure if all of you guys are familiar with this story, but, when Michael Schenker was struck by a series of unfortunate events and misfortune, at the time when he was facing the hard economic reality in the early 2000, Michael was forced to sell $200,000 worth of his studio equipment just to ease his debt load. When that didn't do enough, the day he fears the most has finally come. He finds himself once again in the same predicament where he had no choice but to let go of something that's of golden value and something that has been very dear to him. This time, the sacrificial lambs were his three (3) black and white Gibson Flying Vs, the guitar, his partner(s) in crime so to speak, which he has forged his signature to the music and guitar world. Michael was so well-linked to those flying vs that he's the first person you think of when you see a flying v guitar. Mr. Schenker was homeless by 2002.

With God's grace and mercy, Michael is doin' great now. He's in a better life condition and he is once again playing music. He now has his life back. Now, I won't delve too much on that part of his life but now, you get the picture.

Again, when people sell an item specially a guitar, regardless of whether they bought a new guitar or not just means its not worth keeping and most of the time, what you don't keep is the worst or bad sounding guitar that you own.  So if you find something better, it just means that your old guitar sounds bad.  Why do I say so?  I have four guitars now.  I really just want to maintain two or three guitars but I cannot seem to sell any of them because they all sound so magical.  Though one is extra ordinary the others are still close to extra ordinary.  When you own something on a magical level, its not a matter of sounding better -- its a matter of being at the top.

I have no issue of getting rid of what you own to save a life.  Thats logical and correct but thats why I did not choose to be a musician so it does not have to get to that point.  At the outset, I personally feel na wala naman talagang mayaman na musician dito except Arnel Pineda which is close to a fairy tale story.  Its a choice I made maski na gusto ko gawin.  So to avoid getting close to that situation, I suggest you look for something better to do or that brings in more income to avoid such a possibility.  If you have no other talent, I suggest that you go on and do your best in life but don't think that great tone is cheap.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:58:23 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
i hate to comment pero... :lol:

mukhang papunta nanaman to sa isang epic na thread :lol:

btw ok ipartner ang wasabi potato chips sa argument na nababasa ko :lol:
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
Woah! So, does this mean we're gonna have a skill/talent shootout? Can't wait! :evil:

This is what I've been waiting for!  :roll:

If video/soundclip demos are not enough to capture the magic, an actual demo/shootout would be the shiznit!  :-D
Google is your friend.

Offline appleseed

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »

btw ok ipartner ang wasabi potato chips sa argument na nababasa ko :lol:

may popcorn dito samin. o sawa na kayo?

shootout na lang!  :-D

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
may popcorn dito samin. o sawa na kayo?

haha. im still currently nibbling away on these wasabi potato chips haha nakaka adik :lol: :lol: nasan na yung dalawang nagtatalo? :lol:

SHOOT OUT SHOOT OUT!!!
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »

I just hope that he won't do a Mr. PUA on us.  :-D
Google is your friend.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
Again, when people sell an item specially a guitar, regardless of whether they bought a new guitar or not just means its not worth keeping and most of the time, what you don't keep is the worst or bad sounding guitar that you own.  So if you find something better, it just means that your old guitar sounds bad.  Why do I say so?  I have four guitars now.  I really just want to maintain two or three guitars but I cannot seem to sell any of them because they all sound so magical.  Though one is extra ordinary the others are still close to extra ordinary.  When you own something on a magical level, its not a matter of sounding better -- its a matter of being at the top.

I have no issue of getting rid of what you own to save a life.  Thats logical and correct but thats why I did not choose to be a musician so it does not have to get to that point.  At the outset, I personally feel na wala naman talagang mayaman na musician dito except Arnel Pineda which is close to a fairy tale story.  Its a choice I made maski na gusto ko gawin.  So to avoid getting close to that situation, I suggest you look for something better to do or that brings in more income to avoid such a possibility.  If you have no other talent, I suggest that you go on and do your best in life but don't think that great tone is cheap.

Again, finding a better guitar doesn't mean your current axe is crap or rubbish. It just so happens that there are good-sounding guitars, as well as better-sounding ones. Do you understand? Good.

There are no magical-sounding guitars, only players who make the guitar sound magical.

'Di lang si Ariel Pineda ang musician/singer na mayaman dito. Please do your research.

I hope you are referring to "you" as a general term. :wink:

Oh, and by the way, having or owning top-of-the-line equipment does not, by all means, make you on top of everyone else.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:38:48 PM by guitarwiz02 »

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
SIGE NA NGA ALEX IKAW NA LAHAT!

:lol:

IBTL! :-D

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
again: odd.

i was under the impression that the GAS-afflicted here keep shuffling gear around kasi, like me, they can't afford to just buy everything they want to try and gig with it for a few months. so ang solution is to sell what you have, no matter how much you like it, to afford the experimentation. and, in my case at least, i'm not really looking for "the best" or "the one" anymore. I just want to play something else, something different from what i already have.

i absolutely adored my '52ri. i thought it was the one guitar i'd play for the rest of my life. but i felt the itch and didnt have the cash. so i sold it when i wanted to experiment with SGs. at the time, i was thinking it'd be easy to buy it back if i wanted, of course. but it was soon sold. to someone who brought it to canada. :lol: so thats that. a few months later, scored another "The One" tele, then i itched again so i sold it too. :lol:

isnt that what its all the gear shuffling is about? scratching the itch? or ako lang yung ganun kalala ang need to play something new (not new as in brand new; just new to me)?

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
i'm selling again. shameless ad. its in my sig. finance my next experiment. tele ulit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
When you own something on a magical level, its not a matter of sounding better -- its a matter of being at the top.

This is why everybody in this forum is kicking your ass!!

People here would agree that you own the best equipment that money can buy, but that does not give you to right to diss on other peoples equipment in this forum. Konting respeto sa mga tao dito Mr. Alex, mas marami pa rin ditong musikero kesa collector!!! And also to add, you have not earned enough respect to lecture us on what is the best tone our money can buy.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
i saw and heard the video. the baker sounds just like my squier (but maybe with better notes).

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2011, 05:55:41 PM »
wag na sana natin gatungan yung mga unnecessary posts.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »
Para saan ba ang magandang tone kung hindi mo naman trip.

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »
Para saan ba ang magandang tone kung hindi mo naman trip.

actually, USELESS ang sweet tone ng gitara and gear mo kung hindi mo kaya patunugin ito ng maayos IMHO. :-) nagsayang ka lang ng pera

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
In fairness, I am still a bit skeptical about Yaron's work in terms of wood selection but to be honest, I just don't see Monteleone to be as proficient as Yaron in wood selection -- maybe in working hollowbodies and all those trimmings magaling si Monteleone.  But for me, the monteleone still has to be heard and played by me.

Exquisite Hollow bodies for me, just a personal opinion, are like blinged up Ferrarris.  But there is nothing like a plain and simple F40 or F50 that delivers the goods were it matters.

not as proficient??? lol......... listen to Mark K's song "Monteleone" ganun siya na move... this guy is a tone nut....  wala sa bling kaya highly regarded si monteleone...

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Again, when people sell an item specially a guitar, regardless of whether they bought a new guitar or not just means its not worth keeping and most of the time, what you don't keep is the worst or bad sounding guitar that you own.  So if you find something better, it just means that your old guitar sounds bad.

not necessarily.
good < better < best

if you have a good sounding guitar, then found a better sounding guitar, but cant keep them both because of financial limitation, ill sell the good sounding guitar to get the better guitar.

the good sounding guitar is not a bad sounding guitar.

of course we can also sell it because of change in preference in tone or whatever reason one might think.

I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
This is why everybody in this forum is kicking your ass!!

People here would agree that you own the best equipment that money can buy, but that does not give you to right to diss on other peoples equipment in this forum. Konting respeto sa mga tao dito Mr. Alex, mas marami pa rin ditong musikero kesa collector!!! And also to add, you have not earned enough respect to lecture us on what is the best tone our money can buy.

just to correct you... yan mga gamit ni alex, overseas maraming may ganyan... mas marami pang mahal and unique, as ive said compare the Yaron to higend acoustics ive played e 1/3 o 1/4  lang presyo niyan ... guitars that are 20k up, madami ako nakakachat sa forums... they have all these expensive and wonderful instruments pero walang nagcocomment na panget yan sayo, itong akin ang maganda...  They praise their instruments w/o dissing somebody else's....

Offline johnbrown

« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
Nice thread a lot of opinion's....  :evil:
Can't help it also to comment, But I guess defining tone is in the EARS of the beholder!  :-D

Offline rjthemute

« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
again: odd.

i was under the impression that the GAS-afflicted here keep shuffling gear around kasi, like me, they can't afford to just buy everything they want to try and gig with it for a few months. so ang solution is to sell what you have, no matter how much you like it, to afford the experimentation. and, in my case at least, i'm not really looking for "the best" or "the one" anymore. I just want to play something else, something different from what i already have.

i absolutely adored my '52ri. i thought it was the one guitar i'd play for the rest of my life. but i felt the itch and didnt have the cash. so i sold it when i wanted to experiment with SGs. at the time, i was thinking it'd be easy to buy it back if i wanted, of course. but it was soon sold. to someone who brought it to canada. :lol: so thats that. a few months later, scored another "The One" tele, then i itched again so i sold it too. :lol:

isnt that what its all the gear shuffling is about? scratching the itch? or ako lang yung ganun kalala ang need to play something new (not new as in brand new; just new to me)?

A lot of us here are actually like this, just afflicted with GAS...i.e. not necessarily chasing the purist holy grail of tone-dom. And then there are people like firemodel, who go for the very best and don't settle for anything less. Nothing wrong with that, he's got the means so why not, more power, I'm actually jealous. Sure we can be happy, make music, and play the sh*t out of whatever gear we've got, but c'mon, would we really settle if we had the opportunity to play the higher end stuff? I call BS if you say otherwise. Tone is subjective so we may not agree with FM's gear choices or even go the same direction (suhr, yaron custom, etc), but I'm gonna bet that most everyone here (including that dude in the video), in his/her own quest for tone, has his/her very own holy grail. What sucks is a lot of the time they cost more than we would really like to spend, so we settle for what's "good enough".

I do believe that great tone isn't always expensive and that expensive gear doesn't necessarily equal great tone, so I'm not siding with FM or anything (he does come off as a bit of an A). I just don't subscribe to the idea that one's skill level dictates the gear that one should have. Why can't a not-so-excellent player weild a $5000 dollar axe? Why not? E kung dun sya masaya.

just to correct you... yan mga gamit ni alex, overseas maraming may ganyan... mas marami pang mahal and unique, as ive said compare the Yaron to higend acoustics ive played e 1/3 o 1/4  lang presyo niyan ... guitars that are 20k up, madami ako nakakachat sa forums... they have all these expensive and wonderful instruments pero walang nagcocomment na panget yan sayo, itong akin ang maganda...  They praise their instruments w/o dissing somebody else's....

eto yun e, kaya nagiging ganito mga thread dito

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
just to correct you... yan mga gamit ni alex, overseas maraming may ganyan... mas marami pang mahal and unique, as ive said compare the Yaron to higend acoustics ive played e 1/3 o 1/4  lang presyo niyan ... guitars that are 20k up, madami ako nakakachat sa forums... they have all these expensive and wonderful instruments pero walang nagcocomment na panget yan sayo, itong akin ang maganda...  They praise their instruments w/o dissing somebody else's....

My opinion was within the PM forums lang.  :-) Yan ang maganda sa mga forums nila, they have the high end gear pero they give respect to each other, and each others taste.

I agree with Alex's opinions about sound and type of wood. I just don't agree on the way puts down others gears, even to the extent others creation. Mali talaga!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.