hulika

Poll

Who do you think is/was the Best Megadeth Lead Guitarist the band ever had (excluding Dave Mustaine)?

Chris Broderick
Glenn Drover
Marty Friedman
Al Pitrelli
Chris Poland

Author Topic: Best Megadeth Lead Guitarist  (Read 5719 times)

Offline mustaine_factor

Best Megadeth Lead Guitarist
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »
Who do you think is/was the Best Megadeth Lead Guitarist the band ever had?

For me it's

Marty Friedman
- for being an essential part of the recordings the band's 3 of their greatest albums (Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia). His tones, solos and riffs are both thrashy and melodic which perfectly fit well with Mustaine's. Arguably the best guitar solo of Megadeth is "Tornado of Souls" which was then created by Mr. Friedman

followed by

Chris Broderick
- has the most technical guitar playing skills in the band's history. He studied Music major in Classical Guitars in College and was able to perfectly play all Megadeth songs live. His inputs in the band's latest album (Endgame) was also excellent.

followed by

Chris Poland
- he was instrumental in the early stages of the band and paired well with Dave Mustaine in riffing. He was also part of the creation of the album "Peace Sells but Who's Buying" which is a critically-acclaimed album and is consistently included in most lists of Greatest Metal albums of all time (but for me Rust in Peace is still the best album).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:09:57 PM by mustaine_factor »
Guitars: Dean Mustaine VMNT (SD Mustaine LiveWire), Jackson Stars Neck-Thru KV-J2K (EMG 81/60), ESP-LTD EX-400 (EMG 81/60 18v)
Processors: Line6 PODHD300, Line6 Floor POD
Amps: Line6 Spider IV 75 w/ FBV2 Footswitch

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
Re: Best Megadeth Lead Guitarist
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
Friedman - his odd way of picking is a plus factor too... :-D

rock n' scroll!

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
Friedman - his odd way of picking is a plus factor too... :-D

His picking style is creepy... Parang magkaka arthritis ako nun...  :mrgreen:
Guitars: Dean Mustaine VMNT (SD Mustaine LiveWire), Jackson Stars Neck-Thru KV-J2K (EMG 81/60), ESP-LTD EX-400 (EMG 81/60 18v)

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
His picking style is creepy... Parang magkaka arthritis ako nun...  :mrgreen:

pero distinct yung sound di ba? using up stroke tapos speed picking...mind effing blowing!  :-D

rock n' scroll!

Offline imacRuel1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Have you noticed his unique arpeggio style? one of the best i think.... Ol' Megadeth fan & Marty Friedman wannabe here.

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »
FRIEDMAN.

next is Jeff Loomis hehe pero hindi sya tinanggap kasi masyado syang bata.

Offline bulok

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »
kahit na drummer ako, fan parin ako ni Friedman

Offline meow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »
Marty Friedman is the best for me... Ang lupit ng solo niya sa Tornado of Souls pati sa buong Rust in Piece Album! Sana bumalik si Marty pati si Nick Menza pero ok pa din naman ang line up ng Megadeth ngayon  :-D
Succesfully dealt with:
bassonjake (Boss ME-6B)
blackwing (Hartke VXL Bass Attack)

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
iba na kasi taste ng music ni Friedman. amicable naman yung departure with Megadeth.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/marty_friedman_i_didnt_think_megadeth_were_aggressive_enough.html

siguro kung pupunta Megadeth sa Japan, baka tumugtog siya dun. pero daan muna sila ng pinas hehehe

Chris Broderick kicks ass too!!!

rock n' scroll!

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:43:34 PM »
siguro kung pupunta Megadeth sa Japan, baka tumugtog siya dun. pero daan muna sila ng pinas hehehe

Oo nga sana dumaan sila ng PINAS.

Off topic saglit, napansin ko yong signature image mo "IRON MAIDEN". It's so unfortunate na nag Asian tour sila di man lang sila napadaan ng Pinas,  :-(

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »
Oo nga sana dumaan sila ng PINAS.

Off topic saglit, napansin ko yong signature image mo "IRON MAIDEN". It's so unfortunate na nag Asian tour sila di man lang sila napadaan ng Pinas,  :-(

rumor has it na malaking asking price nila. i'm not sure.  :-(

rock n' scroll!

Offline johnvaron

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
all of them are good, but only marty friedman made a lasting inpression on me. unique kasi ang sound niya..  :-)

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
Not in the choices: Dave Mustaine :evil:
I believe he did most lead guitars way back the early albums(and the solo's are awesome :-D)

But for me:(with Albums)
Friedman
Poland
Broderick
Young
Pitrelli
Drover
(without)
Kerry King :-D
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
oo nga pala. Dave Mustaine nga pala. one of the few people who could sing and play complicated riffs at the same time.  :-D

rock n' scroll!

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 01:56:27 AM »
Not in the choices: Dave Mustaine :evil:
I believe he did most lead guitars way back the early albums(and the solo's are awesome :-D)

But for me:(with Albums)
Friedman
Poland
Broderick
Young
Pitrelli
Drover
(without)
Kerry King :-D

Dave Mustaine without a doubt is one of the best if not the best metal guitarist that sings at the same time, of all time. But I excluded him for this poll. As a matter of fact, Dave Mustaine writes most of the solos of Megadeth but delegates them to his other lead guitarist especially during live performances and humbly claims as the rhythm guitarist for Deth (my two cents go to the idea that he's trying to go head to head with Hetfield instead of Hammett).

Kerry King was with Deth back in the day but would have been the rhythm guitarist if it transpired further (as per an interview with David Ellefson), while Dave would have been the sole lead guitars/vocals. Nonetheless King is amazing. You might wanna watch his jam session with Megadeth (on the song Rattlehead) on Youtube. The event was just last year (2010).

Sir metalheadz, just curious lang po, sorry if I didn't include Jeff Young in the list, but I am just curious lang po why you placed him over Pitrelli?

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 03:02:33 AM »
i like Mustaine's solo's than Hammet's (he is half-pinoy right? did he ever acknowledge that? OT na pala hehehe). just my opinion. wala sana magagalit na 'tallica fan.  :-D

rock n' scroll!

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
i like Mustaine's solo's than Hammet's (he is half-pinoy right? did he ever acknowledge that? OT na pala hehehe). just my opinion. wala sana magagalit na 'tallica fan.  :-D

It's a no contest dude. Hammett is amazing but I personally believe he can't keep up with any of the Megadeth guitarists (including Dave Mustaine). Hammett < Broderick, Drover, Pitrelli, Young, Poland, Mustaine or most especially Friedman.

Metallica licks, riffs and even a few solos are written and created by James Hetfield, and 6 of which are from Dave Mustaine.

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »
well Marty is winning in this poll, anyway. I won't contest on that. hehehe
his picking technique specially on the B and E strings hurts my eye and my wrist. any back story why he does that?

rock n' scroll!

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
I'd vote for Marty as well. He's one of the reasons that got me hooked on listening to Megadeth especially his oriental type of playing.

his picking technique specially on the B and E strings hurts my eye and my wrist. any back story why he does that?

IIRC, he does that to avoid muting the strings and to give more emphasis on upstroke picking.

Offline metalheadz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
Dave Mustaine without a doubt is one of the best if not the best metal guitarist that sings at the same time, of all time. But I excluded him for this poll. As a matter of fact, Dave Mustaine writes most of the solos of Megadeth but delegates them to his other lead guitarist especially during live performances and humbly claims as the rhythm guitarist for Deth (my two cents go to the idea that he's trying to go head to head with Hetfield instead of Hammett).

Kerry King was with Deth back in the day but would have been the rhythm guitarist if it transpired further (as per an interview with David Ellefson), while Dave would have been the sole lead guitars/vocals. Nonetheless King is amazing. You might wanna watch his jam session with Megadeth (on the song Rattlehead) on Youtube. The event was just last year (2010).

Sir metalheadz, just curious lang po, sorry if I didn't include Jeff Young in the list, but I am just curious lang po why you placed him over Pitrelli?

Music wise, Jeff Young is better IMHO, but Pitrelli did play more live shows than Young, and to give him credit lang, he was with Megadeth a bit longer than Jeff Young, have to give creds to him for lasting with Megadeth during the "troubled times" :-)

you know... the years when Dave was... :evil:
Psalm 119:105
Colossians 2:8
"We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »
I'd vote for Marty as well. He's one of the reasons that got me hooked on listening to Megadeth especially his oriental type of playing.

And he uses his forearm to palm mute...  :evil:

Offline dharzfreeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »
Pag nagdecide si marty bumalik tingin ko sya pa rin kunin ni dave
so tyak pull out si chris..tsk tsk
PHILMUSIC EQUALIZER

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
I orgasm only to Marty Friedman.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline mustaine_factor

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
Pag nagdecide si marty bumalik tingin ko sya pa rin kunin ni dave
so tyak pull out si chris..tsk tsk

Pero in fairness to Chris Broderick, he is very skilled technically. Have you seen him do the Tornado of Souls Solo live? Parang inaantok pa, pero he got Marty's solo note for note.

Nonetheless Marty is still the most suitable Lead Guitarist for Megadeth.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."