hulika

Author Topic: HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA  (Read 10349 times)

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
Hi.. i wanna play harmonica but still dont buy one. And i dont even know how 2 play it. Maybe i know how to soundplay it like when i play the guitar but if there are stuff like chords / tabs on harmonica, where can i find those?

And 2 be more specific, i wanna know how 2 play blues harmonica. Can somebody help me with these? thanks so much :)
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:48:05 AM »
Just go to your search engine and type in the words  "harmonica tabs" or just try harmonica. There are too many sites to list, enjoy.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:06:27 AM »
Quote from: whitey
Just go to your search engine and type in the words  "harmonica tabs" or just try harmonica. There are too many sites to list, enjoy.

Thanks
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline whitey

• Philmusicus Noobitus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »
Master the bending technique.

Listen to blues songs with harp parts and try to copy the riffs... may not be the exact riffs at first, just try to master several. Combine them, rearrange, modify, until you have a respectable number blues riffs that you can play even without thinking.

Get a blues buddy and JAM!!!  8)

(Ilonggo ka higad? hehehe...)

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
Quote from: whitey
Here are a few sites to check.

1. www.harmonicalessons.com
2. www.davegage.com
3. www.angelfire.com
4. www.harptab.com

yeah i visited davegage yesterday and i think that site would be a great help for me. thanks btw. i need 2 buy harmonica first. thanks again,.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »
Quote from: serpentboy
Master the bending technique.

Listen to blues songs with harp parts and try to copy the riffs... may not be the exact riffs at first, just try to master several. Combine them, rearrange, modify, until you have a respectable number blues riffs that you can play even without thinking.

Get a blues buddy and JAM!!!  8)

(Ilonggo ka higad? hehehe...)

can u tell me what songs or artist i must listen 2 in order 2 get those blues style :) thanks.. and oh im not ilonggo.. im from q.c. hehe why did u ask?

Offline 430nmtune

Simple Harp Blues
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:08:50 AM »
Bumili ka nang Key of C (Richter tuned diatonic) na Harmonica. The higher the quality the better. Mas mahirap mag aral ng bending at iba pang technique sa low qual na harp. Good ones are Hohner, Suzuki, Hering, Lee Oskar and Buschmann. A nice (medyo OK) china harp is Swan.

At para maka Jam ka kaagad ...alamin kung saan ang G chord ,C chord at D chord sa C-harp mo. hehehe.

Key of G Blues (try this at home hehehe)

I;G =draw/inhale sa holes 2-3-4
IV; = Blow/exhale holes 1-2-3 or any blow combination(key of C ang harp mo)
V= D Draw/inhale holes 45(6)

(give each chord four beats)
I-I-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-IV-I-I

goodluck........

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Simple Harp Blues
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 01:11:22 PM »
Quote from: 430nmtune
Bumili ka nang Key of C (Richter tuned diatonic) na Harmonica. The higher the quality the better. Mas mahirap mag aral ng bending at iba pang technique sa low qual na harp. Good ones are Hohner, Suzuki, Hering, Lee Oskar and Buschmann. A nice (medyo OK) china harp is Swan.

At para maka Jam ka kaagad ...alamin kung saan ang G chord ,C chord at D chord sa C-harp mo. hehehe.

Key of G Blues (try this at home hehehe)

I;G =draw/inhale sa holes 2-3-4
IV; = Blow/exhale holes 1-2-3 or any blow combination(key of C ang harp mo)
V= D Draw/inhale holes 45(6)

(give each chord four beats)
I-I-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-IV-I-I

goodluck........

ok sure dude thanks for the infos stig.! hehe.. cge bili muna ako tpos balitaan kita pag kasing galing ko na ung mga nakikita ko sa youtube hahaha :) thanks ulet!

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
Good luck higad!!! Bumili ka na ng Hohner (i recommend the Special 20 model - easy playability and excellent tone).

"Harmonica - easy to learn, difficult to master..."

Try to look for Muddy Waters videos - he almost always has a harmonica player in his band (there are several in youtube).  Try the "easier" slow songs with the 12-bar progression i.e. Hoochie-Coochie Man. Go first with the "classic" blues riff after the first lines of this song (Ta-na-na-na-nan).

For advanced playing, try Sonny Terry... medyo mahirap riffs nya. (searching "blues harp" and "blues harmonica" would yield many video clips... ang gusto ko yung videos ni RonShellist.)

KEEP ON WAILIN' DUDES!!!  :wink:

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:10:33 PM »
here's a muddy waters classic:  :wink:

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hey
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 06:59:40 AM »
Good luck higad!!! Bumili ka na ng Hohner (i recommend the Special 20 model - easy playability and excellent tone).

"Harmonica - easy to learn, difficult to master..."

Try to look for Muddy Waters videos - he almost always has a harmonica player in his band (there are several in youtube).  Try the "easier" slow songs with the 12-bar progression i.e. Hoochie-Coochie Man. Go first with the "classic" blues riff after the first lines of this song (Ta-na-na-na-nan).

For advanced playing, try Sonny Terry... medyo mahirap riffs nya. (searching "blues harp" and "blues harmonica" would yield many video clips... ang gusto ko yung videos ni RonShellist.)

KEEP ON WAILIN' DUDES!!!  :wink:

salamat sa info. ask ko lang kung saan makakabili ng hohner na sinasabi mo? and mgkano kaya un? thanks dude!

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
oi serpentboy welcome si Faust ni, hehehe.
@Higad-serpentboy bought he's harps from hongkong. he had it ordered pero check lang sa JB or AP baka meron sila.

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
@tony2tone - kiiiiita ra gihapon hehe! kumusta na man ka bro? wa na tay jam-jam da...

@higad - Had one harp bought at Raon, the rest were bought by a friend in H.K., more or less 1thou pesos ang price/piece. I saw china-made diatonics in Salonga Music, around 350++ pesos.

My first harp was a "Parrot" brand which cost 75 pesos (bought at JB's). This was the one with which i learned how to "bend" and do some simple riffs. Quite good for its price, though the higher notes were out of tune.

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 07:10:59 AM »
@tony2tone - kiiiiita ra gihapon hehe! kumusta na man ka bro? wa na tay jam-jam da...

@higad - Had one harp bought at Raon, the rest were bought by a friend in H.K., more or less 1thou pesos ang price/piece. I saw china-made diatonics in Salonga Music, around 350++ pesos.

My first harp was a "Parrot" brand which cost 75 pesos (bought at JB's). This was the one with which i learned how to "bend" and do some simple riffs. Quite good for its price, though the higher notes were out of tune.

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

ahh.. aus din ba ung sa salonga music?

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Quote from: higad

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

havent tried the salonga harps yet. quality varies per piece kasi bro, sometimes even the high-priced ones can have defects too.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

havent tried the salonga harps yet. quality varies per piece kasi bro, sometimes even the high-priced ones can have defects too.

gnun? so pano ko kaya malalaman kung ok ung binili ko o hindi for its price?

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:16 PM »

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

I remember before at RJ music store, they had hohners which they test by a manual air-blowing/drawing machine, to test if all the holes play. I'm not sure if they have that at Salonga or JB's. Good if they allow you to test it by blowing/drawing it yourself (orally!).

As long as all holes play, I guess that harp is ok.

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »
Simple, but sweet blues harp riffs...

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 08:28:11 PM »
@serpentboy- OK rako bro medyo busy lang gyud gamay, ato nya lihukon atong banda, mga end of september tingali mag-andam kog songs na siprahon nato. ok  8)

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 10:06:14 AM »
Quote from: tony2tone
@serpentboy- OK rako bro medyo busy lang gyud gamay, ato nya lihukon atong banda, mga end of september tingali mag-andam kog songs na siprahon nato. ok  8)

OK bro, let's keep the blues flame alive hehehe!

Text/PM lang...

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »

KEEP ON WAILIN'!!!

I remember before at RJ music store, they had hohners which they test by a manual air-blowing/drawing machine, to test if all the holes play. I'm not sure if they have that at Salonga or JB's. Good if they allow you to test it by blowing/drawing it yourself (orally!).

As long as all holes play, I guess that harp is ok.

OK! salamat! sa mga info aus! salamat :)

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 09:33:22 PM »
i like this song!

Offline 430nmtune

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »
Is the key of D harp the easiest to learn bending on?

Offline serpentboy

HOW TO PLAY HARMONICA
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 09:41:01 PM »
Quote from: 430nmtune
Is the key of D harp the easiest to learn bending on?

I think so.  Among my harps, the key of D is the easiest to bend. (I learned how to bend on a C harp though).

Here's a tip: (I posted this before) Imagine you've just put a piece of hot rice on your mouth, you try to cool it down by sucking air in (plus the lowering of the floor of the mouth). That's the closest description of the bending technique I can think of.

BLUES RULES!