hulika

Author Topic: Herbalife Shakes - are they for real?  (Read 6425 times)

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
Herbalife Shakes - are they for real?
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
Ok, I've heard of this stuff before and naturally my first reaction was "to hell with those crap" because MOST of the diet products out there in the market right now doesn't seem to be too reliable in the realistic sense... still many of us are trying to find the fastest and easiest way to lose weight! (not to mention, isa ako dun hehehe)

Anyway, to cut the crap short, any opinions regarding this? Seems to be quite effective, considering the price (around 1.5k, 550g) and testimonials that can be found in the internet. Researched a bit and found out that you have to drink these instead of eating a full meal, but that's just 2 out of 3 meals so you must choose a combination from breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
Re: Herbalife Shakes - are they for real?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »

anyone who substitutes a full meal for some hyped-up overpriced shake will lose weight...

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
^True, but the main feature is you won't go hungry since the shake itself is already complete in terms of vitamins, minerals and any other vital supplements needed by the body. The only thing is there is way lesser fat consumed in comparison with a full meal.

Offline ILoveConga

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
I personally don't believe in Herbalife because:
1. It's not a diet pill, it's a food substitute! I would rather eat solid foods than a glass of milkshake. additionally, If you eat solid food and drink Herbalife, you would end up getting more calories than ur regular meal.
2. It's liquid. Liquid gets digested easier, ergo, you get hungry easier so the tendency is you would eat again.
3. You might end up having peptic ulcer. why? Because if you substitute ur regular meal with a glass of drink and not combining it with solid, your stomach won't grind anything! (when it doesn't digest anything, you would feel the gurgles in your stomach)
4. It's not good for diabetics. diabetics should not eat foods high in sugar and carbs. They should also eat meals in small amount but frequent intervals (they can't do one time big time meal).
5. I hate the price. It's expensive.

If you want to lose weight, limit your calories. watch what you eat. do small frequent feedings. and MOVE AROUND! :D

Good luck! :)

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
I personally don't believe in Herbalife because:
1. It's not a diet pill, it's a food substitute! I would rather eat solid foods than a glass of milkshake. additionally, If you eat solid food and drink Herbalife, you would end up getting more calories than ur regular meal.
2. It's liquid. Liquid gets digested easier, ergo, you get hungry easier so the tendency is you would eat again.
3. You might end up having peptic ulcer. why? Because if you substitute ur regular meal with a glass of drink and not combining it with solid, your stomach won't grind anything! (when it doesn't digest anything, you would feel the gurgles in your stomach)
4. It's not good for diabetics. diabetics should not eat foods high in sugar and carbs. They should also eat meals in small amount but frequent intervals (they can't do one time big time meal).
5. I hate the price. It's expensive.

If you want to lose weight, limit your calories. watch what you eat. do small frequent feedings. and MOVE AROUND! :D

Good luck! :)

Yeah, my main concern is I might go hungry easily considering it's just liquid but as far as I've researched, the main reason why it is expensive is because the shake itself is already jam-packed with the important nutrients needed by the body and sufficient calories as well. It's like eating a full meal, but without the unnecessary fats, oil and bad toxins. Quite convincing... still, I need more opinions on the matter.  :-D

Offline freedom04

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »
Oh useless stuff...

"NO APPROVED THERAPEUTIC CLAIMS" is written somewhere in the packaging... It means that there are NO PROVEN THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS of the darn drug or whatever you call it. All of those stuffs written there are just fictitious statements and false claims...
RN. MD. General Surgeon. Bassist. Audiophile.
2 Elegee Custom 5-string Bass. 1979 Ibanez Musician Bass. Mono Vertigo.

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
^As far as I know, only medications need approved therapeutic claims, and supplements such as these need not to conform to the standards. Still, I may be wrong...

Offline ILoveConga

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:28 AM »
Herbalife is not really a drug.. it is not made to CORRECT something.. it is made to be a FOOD SUBSTITUTE.. therefore, it really doesn't aim to be therapeutic..

Offline ILoveConga

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:38 AM »
Yeah, my main concern is I might go hungry easily considering it's just liquid but as far as I've researched, the main reason why it is expensive is because the shake itself is already jam-packed with the important nutrients needed by the body and sufficient calories as well. It's like eating a full meal, but without the unnecessary fats, oil and bad toxins. Quite convincing... still, I need more opinions on the matter.  :-D

yes, it may have enough calories. However, would you rather drink your calories instead of EATING it? could you really trade your lunch for a glass of shake? Tsaka you can't take any food eh kasi you would end up ingesting more calories, so ano gagawin mo if you ended up hungry? vitamins and minerals could easily be acquired in our daily diet naman eh as long as you eat healthy. also, don't forget to eat foods with essential amino acids. ;D

Offline Revenge of The Syph

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
na may disclaimer na pagkaliit liit na "with diet and exercise" lol, seryoso mas halimaw pa tong mga kumpanyang ito kaysa sa mga kriminal sa kalye.

Offline pantone #000

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
minsan nakaka-turn off sumama sa kita-kits ng isang group of friends ko kasi lahat sila aalukan ako ng Herbalife. e kaya ko naman ng diet+exercise. no need sa meal replacements kasi nasa control lang yan. atsaka magastos. period.
https://soundcloud.com/pantone000/sabaw

Those who don't believe in MAGIC will never find it. --Roald Dahl

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 07:02:36 PM »
^True, but the main feature is you won't go hungry since the shake itself is already complete in terms of vitamins, minerals and any other vital supplements needed by the body. The only thing is there is way lesser fat consumed in comparison with a full meal.

and since when did "vitamins and nutrients" made you feel full?

i dont get full after chugging in like 30 pieces of multi-vitamins... the same way i dont get full munching on a small bag of Cheetos.

sorry TS, there are no short cuts. sure you can loss weight with herbalife... but dont expect to keep that weight off.

Offline mhayce08

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41:12 AM »
yeah :?
Basta Metal Bakal™

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
Oh useless stuff...

"NO APPROVED THERAPEUTIC CLAIMS" is written somewhere in the packaging... It means that there are NO PROVEN THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS of the darn drug or whatever you call it. All of those stuffs written there are just fictitious statements and false claims...

This is a requirement by BFAD by the way  :-)

On topic:

There are a lot of MR (or Meal Replacement) products out there, you have to select which one is the 'right' one.

zzzzzzz

Offline music_en_sound

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
EXCUSE ME PO!!!

For me proven and tested, its effective! All you need is discipline, exercise, inspiration+perspiration and the STRONG WILL to lose weight.

Year 2007 yon and in just 1 month nabawasan ako ng 20 lbs (from 160 to 140lbs.). ginawa ko lang, replace 1 or (if you can) 2 meals out of 3 meals a day with herbalife shake. At night, shake + oatmeal, banana or any fruits depende sayo or kahit kumain ka ng full meal breakfast and lunch as long as healthy, basta sa merienda and dinner shake na lang then exercise anytime of the day, push ups, sit ups or  anything basta pagpawisan ka ng todo. I guess kaya ang laki ng nabawas because of the shake. Any kind of diet with determination is effective iba-iba nga lang ang result and effect sa body, w/o the shake cguro baka 5 lbs. lang nabawas sakin in a month.

Overall napababa ko siya till 130lbs with a great shape of my chest, braso even lines of cuts (packs) at my abs, can wear sexy get ups (lalaki po ako) hehe atleast minsan sa buhay ko naranasan ko maging sexy at nililingon ng mga girls.
 Unfortunately, di ko na na-maintain hehehe, dumating si love life ayun, sumarap ang kain, and now balik 160+ lbs. hehehe

* look, hindi po ako dealer ng herbalife nor a part of them, this is not an advertisement, I just want to share my experience. Thanks

Inspiration and strong will? iniwan ako ni ex-gf at pinagpalit sa matabang kalbo, maitim at puro tattoo...  hehehe :-P
Array

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the vitamins or minerals that makes one feel "full" so they eat less.  It's the bulk and fiber of the food one eats.  If you eat a balanced meal.

In most cases, it's not what one eats, but how and when one eats.  I basically eat only one "huge" meal a day, with small snacks in between.  No need for dietary supplements, though I do get Enervon from time to time to augment my vitamin C intake.  (Note, sodium ascorbate IS NOT vitamin C even though it is marketed as such).

Sometimes the effects of these "supplements" are all in the mind.
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »

i dont get full after chugging in like 30 pieces of multi-vitamins... the same way i dont get full munching on a small bag of Cheetos.

sorry TS, there are no short cuts. sure you can loss weight with herbalife... but dont expect to keep that weight off.

Eating more vegetables like salads will make one lose weight, without cutting down too much on red meat and carbs. If you are physicially active, you need carbohydrates and fats after all, since they are your body's main source of energy.  People gain weight mainly because of how they eat and how they live.  I have maintained an average weight of 140-150 lbs in the last 10 years without changing my diet too much and without much exercise.

New Manila Sound

Offline isnewflik

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »

HAHA. true that. i tried this for a couple of months and lost about 7 kilograms or so. i stopped, and i gained back the weight. actually, it does work, but try exercising while taking the "program" AND take the fiber and herb supplement. the supplement is the one that's supposed to make you feel full, not the shake. also, if you already get to your "goal weight" or something, reduce your program to replacing 1 meal a day instead of 2 meals AND MAINTAIN IT. that's what the herbalife people said and they kept the weight off. i know some of those people personally. i lost weight because i was belly dancing when i took the "program", but i gained it back because i didn't maintain the replace 1 meal a day thing AND i stopped belly dancing at the same time. and so i was back to my old self again. :(*OT*

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 02:15:25 AM »
HAHA. true that. i tried this for a couple of months and lost about 7 kilograms or so. i stopped, and i gained back the weight. actually, it does work, but try exercising while taking the "program" AND take the fiber and herb supplement. the supplement is the one that's supposed to make you feel full, not the shake. also, if you already get to your "goal weight" or something, reduce your program to replacing 1 meal a day instead of 2 meals AND MAINTAIN IT. that's what the herbalife people said and they kept the weight off. i know some of those people personally. i lost weight because i was belly dancing when i took the "program", but i gained it back because i didn't maintain the replace 1 meal a day thing AND i stopped belly dancing at the same time. and so i was back to my old self again. :(*OT*

belly dancing huh?  :-D

Offline justice44

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
No therapeutic effect means WALANG EFFECT. Therapeutic = beneficial, combining the two: NO BENEFICIAL EFFECT. Meaning NEVER PROVEN to work.

^As far as I know, only medications need approved therapeutic claims, and supplements such as these need not to conform to the standards. Still, I may be wrong...

May RN and MD ka pa sa pangalan mo hindi mo naman alam.

Herbalife is not really a drug.. it is not made to CORRECT something.. it is made to be a FOOD SUBSTITUTE.. therefore, it really doesn't aim to be therapeutic..

Wrong. Therapeutic = Beneficial. So you mean, a FOOD SUBSTITUTE needs not to have a GOOD EFFECT? If it doesn't have any therapeutic (good) effect on you, why buy?

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
I'd rather enjoy EATING my choice of food while I can than simply popping a pill or "drinking" it.

New Manila Sound

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 12:12:25 AM »
No therapeutic effect means WALANG EFFECT. Therapeutic = beneficial, combining the two: NO BENEFICIAL EFFECT. Meaning NEVER PROVEN to work.

May RN and MD ka pa sa pangalan mo hindi mo naman alam.

Relax ka lang dude, I'm not a nurse nor a doctor, kaya nga I started a thread regarding such so I could be corrected not criticized. And yeah, matagal ko nang gustong palitan username ko.

Offline justice44

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
Relax ka lang dude, I'm not a nurse nor a doctor, kaya nga I started a thread regarding such so I could be corrected not criticized. And yeah, matagal ko nang gustong palitan username ko.

Okay sir! :) Sorry. I think I went beyond my limits. Peace sir!

Offline raybrig

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
Question lang. sino nakaka alam dito bakit nakalagay ang "No approved therapeutic effects"  :-)
Yun totoo ha, hindi un galing lang sa bibig nila. Yun main reason bakit nilalagay yan sa mga products
zzzzzzz

Offline isnewflik

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
the therapeutic effect term is used to distinguish if a product has a medicinal effect. so as far as i understand, no therapeutic effect means no researched "curing" effect. i can't really explain well, but i can use examples.

for example, herbalife vs orlistat. surely, orlistat will help *everyone who takes it* lose weight because it makes 'em crap out all the fat they eat because it contains drugs that make them not absorb those fats. it is beneficial for a lot of people. herbalife shakes, unlike orlistat, don't contain those drugs, but can still make *some* people lose weight. i say some because herbalife doesn't work for everybody. it doesn't have therapeutic claims, pero para dun sa mga hiyang sa herbalife, they lose weight, thus, beneficial.

another example, cough medicine vs malunggay supplements. cough medicine are drugs that actually help make the cough go away. you have antitussives and expectorants. for malunggay supplements, most of them don't have therapeutic claims, but *some* people report that it helps them get rid of the cough.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:53:24 PM by isnewflik »