hulika

Author Topic: Electricuting Electric Guitar???  (Read 1529 times)

Offline zerochanceoutshined

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Electricuting Electric Guitar???
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:14:28 PM »
hey everyone... I play a little bit of guitar.. not that good. but whenever i plug in with an electric guitar, i often get mild but still uncomfortable and shocking electric grounds. Like little surges of elecrticity coming from the guitar and amp. At first I thought it's because I play an RJ telecaster imitation but when I borrow this jam studio's squier or fender i still get grounded so its definitly not the RJ guitar.. and i feel the ground through my right arm sometimes all the way to my chest, spine and neck... makes it hard to breathe at times and play guitar and i'm a vocalist/ guitarist... well aspiring vocalist anyway...
does anyone else have this problem?
Jeez the ONE thing I wanna do is play music and I have this goddamn biological ground problem... hehe its funny but at the same time it pisses me off... my damn luck
there wouldn't happen to be a medical experet / guitar expert here, would there hahaha
HELP!!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:50:12 PM »
make sure the power strip you are plugged into has a ground on it and the "ground lift" switch is not engaged because this CAN be dangerous.

also, check the condition of the cables on the amp to see if nothing is frayed and shorted out just to be on the safe side. usually instruments like the electric guitar carry a charge that can be felt if some part of your rig is not grounded properly, however, a constant shocking from your setup should not be happening as much such as in your case.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
Yup! Everything Abbys wrote is a must. Sometimes the humidity of the wheather can be a factor to electric shock. Also, make sure that your guitars are properly grounded inside. I hate it when I play guitar then I get a stinging shock from the mic when I accidentally touch it with my lips. ZAP!!! :shock:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »
Quote from: stratman1
Yup! Everything Abbys wrote is a must. Sometimes the humidity of the wheather can be a factor to electric shock. Also, make sure that your guitars are properly grounded inside. I hate it when I play guitar then I get a stinging shock from the mic when I accidentally touch it with my lips. ZAP!!! :shock:

oooh - mic shock! yah, nakuha ko na yun. parang ganito - "Lalalalalalaaaaaa - (comes close to the mic *zap* Sh*t! Potek na mic na ito!" Yeah, it ain't pretty:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
nakaexperience nako ilang beses ng shock sa mikropono. tas tv gig pa kami nun. ang hirap hindi magmura sa kuryente na yun!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 05:41:03 PM »
Quote from: akosimic
nakaexperience nako ilang beses ng shock sa mikropono. tas tv gig pa kami nun. ang hirap hindi magmura sa kuryente na yun!

Ahahahaha!

nagmura kayo talaga?
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline edalbkrad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »
perhaps you just feel so good when playing your guitar, that it sends shivers down your spine  :D

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 05:03:48 AM »
Quote from: tam_guitar
Quote from: akosimic

Ahahahaha!

nagmura kayo talaga?

oo pero lumayo ako sa mikropono. kita sa tv na nagmura ako dahil sa galaw ng labi.

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 09:34:32 AM »
are you insulated from the floor? I mean are you wearing you shoes/slippers pag naga-ground ka o nakyapak ka lang?
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline juliusd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 09:48:08 AM »
hi...

juz want to share what i read before on a guitar magazine. the title is "guitars don't kill, faulty amps do".

it takes 60VDC or 45VAC to get electrocuted. but this is the minimum and the shocked can be ignored with these voltages. so imagine how much electricity you get if the shock goes to your heart. the electric guitar can not produce 60VDC or 45VDC. not even close to it. the guitar signal is just enough to drive your amplifier which is normally around 1VAC only.

so when you get electrocuted the problem is definitely on your amp or wherever you plugged-in your guitar.

Cheers :D

Offline les_paul_magic

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 11:09:49 AM »
na experience ko na yan sa live.. na grounded ata yung guitar pickup ko....pag kanta ko na eletricuted yung bibig ko, ....  mula nuon check ko mic b4 mag play.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »
Our voltage is one of the worst in the world. The variance in fluctuation is well noted among factory owners.

Grouding won't work because most of the outlets are the two flat and doesn't have the a ground hole.

Best is to buy a small voltage regulator for the amp and ground yourself from the floor.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline gnrluvr

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 12:45:22 PM »
ahhh now im scared to play guitar. well, maybe ill go to Confession first before playing hehehehe(serious)
~~~NO SIGNATURE~~~

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 04:00:44 AM »
Siguro, hmmmm... kaya tinawag nilang Electric Guitar ang guitars na yan dahil you'll be electricuted while playing it. hehehehe. Just kiddin'!!! :D
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...