hulika

Author Topic: Elixir String woot woot!!! Share your thoughts!!! Prog on!!!  (Read 81252 times)

Offline LesBol

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Elixir String woot woot!!! Share your thoughts!!! Prog on!!!
« Reply #400 on: June 19, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
I noticed this in one of my guitars ... but I am suspecting that maybe caused by the humidity considering the type of weather we have nowadays pa paiba-iba  :?

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »
I have a question for long-time Elixir users, I have noticed a degradation recently in Elixir's quality.

I have both a new batch of Elixirs some time last Feb and March (both online and Lyric) and have noticed that only after a couple of months the strings are already showing some wears, the others also are being rusty. The sound is still bright and snappy, it's just that they are wearing off quickly compared to the older batches. For some reason I didn't expect this to be with the Elixir's that is why I am wondering if some of you may have noticed.

I have an Elixir that I bought and installed in late 2010 on two of my guitars, up to now the sound is still bright and it even looks newer compared to the newer batches that I bought.

PS, I am not ranting, I'm just posting my observations.

How often do you play? I've seen the wear and tear on the bass strings, and i've seen some corrosion too, well i guess it's started when i noticed our erratic weather, rain...uber hot, then rain...
Fuseboxx/Kastigo guitarist ESP Artist 2011
Graphtech Endorser Elixir strings and cables
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #402 on: June 19, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »
How often do you play? I've seen the wear and tear on the bass strings, and i've seen some corrosion too, well i guess it's started when i noticed our erratic weather, rain...uber hot, then rain...

Let's say on average around 1-2hours per day. I don't think we can factor in the weather since the old Elixirs that I have installed way back in 2010 are still intact, the newer ones however are now showing signs of corrosion. I also notice this on one of the guitars of my friend. The sound of the strings are not that affected though. BTW, all of my Elixirs are nanowebs.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I still like Elixir strings, I have them installed on at least ten of my guitars. It's just that for some reason the newer batches' seems to corrode sooner than expected.

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #403 on: June 19, 2012, 06:32:16 PM »
Let's say on average around 1-2hours per day. I don't think we can factor in the weather since the old Elixirs that I have installed way back in 2010 are still intact, the newer ones however are now showing signs of corrosion. I also notice this on one of the guitars of my friend. The sound of the strings are not that affected though. BTW, all of my Elixirs are nanowebs.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I still like Elixir strings, I have them installed on at least ten of my guitars. It's just that for some reason the newer batches' seems to corrode sooner than expected.

Well honestly, you play more than me. let's here other opinions from other users. Maybe we can gather this so I can email elixir about our discoveries.
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
Elixir cost-cutting?
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline macmackerz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
Here's what I experienced recently,
I installed a new set last 2 weeks if im not mistaken, then after practicing for 2-3 hours a day for 3 not consecutive days, My D string's coating wear off in the picking area. I don't believe that this is just because of my picking or pick because this is the first time I encounter this kind of problem.

Actually hindi naman issue for me yung pag wear agad ng coating on my D string, my complaint is on my treble strings. Ang issue is, after a week of practice (on and off) yung bottom part ng treble strings ko ay tanggal na yung coating and has corrosion na din. Yung mga tear ng string are aligned sa fret wires from 2nd fret up to 24th fret.  <_<
Sa B string ang worst na wear and tear while minor lang naman G and E string

I don't know what happened, kasi ngayun lang naman to. and my fret wires starting to wear na din. ouch.  :eek:
GOD without MAN is still GOD
MAN without GOD is NOTHING

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:40 AM »
I have a question for long-time Elixir users, I have noticed a degradation recently in Elixir's quality.

I have both a new batch of Elixirs some time last Feb and March (both online and Lyric) and have noticed that only after a couple of months the strings are already showing some wears, the others also are being rusty. The sound is still bright and snappy, it's just that they are wearing off quickly compared to the older batches. For some reason I didn't expect this to be with the Elixir's that is why I am wondering if some of you may have noticed.

I have an Elixir that I bought and installed in late 2010 on two of my guitars, up to now the sound is still bright and it even looks newer compared to the newer batches that I bought.

PS, I am not ranting, I'm just posting my observations.
I also noticed that, installed a fresh pack, pero wala pang 2 weeks, naputol na agad. Ibang iba sya sa mga unang labas. I got the Pro Pack BTW.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »
Elixir cost-cutting?

Naku wag nilang gagawin yan masisira sila. :eek:

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #408 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:03 AM »
The stocks of elixir that lyric sells are the very first batch of strings when elixir started to work with elixir. Lyric does not have the new order of shipment yet, so I believe the batch of lyric sells has no problem. When elixir said there was going to be a problem with the anti-rust, lyric opted not to order any new batches until all was resolve because losing the anti-rust was considered a downgrade and lyric was still establishing the brand in the Philippine market.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #409 on: June 20, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
The stocks of elixir that lyric sells are the very first batch of strings when elixir started to work with elixir. Lyric does not have the new order of shipment yet, so I believe the batch of lyric sells has no problem. When elixir said there was going to be a problem with the anti-rust, lyric opted not to order any new batches until all was resolve because losing the anti-rust was considered a downgrade and lyric was still establishing the brand in the Philippine market.

What could it possibly be?

When Elixir said there would be a problem with regards to the anti-rust technology they have,  it is on their full knowledge that it is definitely a downgrade of the quality. Lyric did not order new batches of strings because of this problem. You mean to say Elixir still sells these 'downgraded' strings? Because Lyric chose NOT to order. Magkaiba ang 'hindi umorder ng downgraded strings' sa 'bawal muna umorder kay Elixir kasi downgraded ang strings'.
If this is the case, sirang-sira agad sila dito sa move na to.

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #410 on: June 20, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
What could it possibly be?

When Elixir said there would be a problem with regards to the anti-rust technology they have,  it is on their full knowledge that it is definitely a downgrade of the quality. Lyric did not order new batches of strings because of this problem. You mean to say Elixir still sells these 'downgraded' strings? Because Lyric chose NOT to order. Magkaiba ang 'hindi umorder ng downgraded strings' sa 'bawal muna umorder kay Elixir kasi downgraded ang strings'.
If this is the case, sirang-sira agad sila dito sa move na to.

No when Lyric got Elixir in, Elixir didn't have any problems yet with the Anti-Rust technology. All the strings Lyric sells has the Anti-Rust technology, you misunderstood me.  All the present guitar strings being sold in the stores have the technology. When we got news from Elixir that they have a problem with the Anti-rust, Lyric opted not to order any strings until they resolved the problem. Lyric has now a new batch coming in because Elixir said the Anti-rust technology is back.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #411 on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
No when Lyric got Elixir in, Elixir didn't have any problems yet with the Anti-Rust technology. All the strings Lyric sells has the Anti-Rust technology, you misunderstood me.  All the present guitar strings being sold in the stores have the technology. When we got news from Elixir that they have a problem with the Anti-rust, Lyric opted not to order any strings until they resolved the problem. Lyric has now a new batch coming in because Elixir said the Anti-rust technology is back.

You misunderstood me. I didn't say that current stocks didn't have the anti-rust technology. I definitely understood everything. If you would read my post again, you will probably understand. What I said was:

You mean to say Elixir still sells these 'downgraded' strings? Because Lyric chose NOT to order.

^ Which is ethical and the correct choice made by Lyric.

And not:

You mean to say Lyric still sells these 'downgraded' strings?

Here let me put it this way:

Notice the bolded statement. Nung nagkaproblema ang Elixir sa anti-rust, hindi muna umorder ang Lyric dahil dun. Nung time ba ng may problema ang Elixir, nagcontinue parin sila (Elixir, not Lyric) sa pagbenta despite of the problem being encountered? Yun yung pinopoint out ko lang. Kung ganun nga ang nangyari, yun ang sinasabi kong makakasira sa kanila (again, Elixir). Kasi may consumer(s) dito na nakanotice ng pagbaba ng quality ng strings. Namely, Ryn.

Offline NomisNivra

• Veteran Member
« Reply #412 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

Notice the bolded statement. Nung nagkaproblema ang Elixir sa anti-rust, hindi muna umorder ang Lyric dahil dun. Nung time ba ng may problema ang Elixir, nagcontinue parin sila (Elixir, not Lyric) sa pagbenta despite of the problem being encountered? Yun yung pinopoint out ko lang. Kung ganun nga ang nangyari, yun ang sinasabi kong makakasira sa kanila (again, Elixir). Kasi may consumer(s) dito na nakanotice ng pagbaba ng quality ng strings. Namely, Ryn.

Apparently they did. www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4eHHgDwLs
David Grohl: Why can't it always be this easy?
Paul McCartney: It is.

Offline LesBol

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #413 on: June 20, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
I just bought a gauge 12 nanoweb sa Lyric kagabi (wala kasing stock si Xelly) and installed it in my son's Takamine acoustic. Let's see how long it will last.

From the earlier discussions, dapat this should be a good batch dahil Lyric did not order upon knowing that Elixir had an issue with with their anti-rust.  And they resumed ordring when Elixir fixed the issue.

Btw, my son's hands are so acidic - mas malala pasa akin. So kung may problem ang na-order ko, I'll know sooner.

Will give you feedback in a few weeks (or months)...

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
You misunderstood me. I didn't say that current stocks didn't have the anti-rust technology. I definitely understood everything. If you would read my post again, you will probably understand. What I said was:

^ Which is ethical and the correct choice made by Lyric.

And not:

Here let me put it this way:

ahh ok. Had to re-read again. Elixir posted on their site before that they will have a problem with the anti-rust and they will try to resolve asap. They also said before they introduced the anti-rust technology in their strings, they were using plains strings on their packs.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #415 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:41 PM »
They gooshed us all. They fcuked us.

- TheGargoyleLives talking about Elixir strings

So guys, you should buy the ones that says "Anti-Rust" in front of the packaging 'coz the ones without the "Anti-Rust" are still being sold according to TheGargoyleLives on YouTube.

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #416 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »
They gooshed us all. They fcuked us.

- TheGargoyleLives talking about Elixir strings

So guys, you should buy the ones that says "Anti-Rust" in front of the packaging 'coz the ones without the "Anti-Rust" are still being sold according to TheGargoyleLives on YouTube.

You know what, I just read this thread again and remembered Elixir taking out the antirust on their strings at some point. Guess what, those are the ones that I have hence the corrosion it's getting.

BTW, the ones that I got with no anti-rust are the ones I bought online and not from Lyric, I repeat, NOT from Lyric.

The only thing that disgusts me is that they sold it at the same price, regardless of the price the should stop selling those without anti-rust because that is what separates them from other string companies. It still lasts longer than D'addario's and EB's even without the anti-rust though.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #417 on: June 20, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
You know what, I just read this thread again and remembered Elixir taking out the antirust on their strings at some point. Guess what, those are the ones that I have hence the corrosion it's getting.

BTW, the ones that I got with no anti-rust are the ones I bought online and not from Lyric, I repeat, NOT from Lyric.

The only thing that disgusts me is that they sold it at the same price, regardless of the price the should stop selling those without anti-rust because that is what separates them from other string companies. It still lasts longer than D'addario's and EB's even without the anti-rust though.

Same sentiments. But even if they did last longer than D'Addario and Ernie Ball, you're still not getting your money's worth.

Offline jay182

« Reply #418 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:32 AM »
Mga sir napansin nyo ba sa elixir nano (electric) na parang bitin yung sustain ng 1st,2nd at 3rd strings? parang 3 seconds lang tapos patay na yung sustain compared dun sa wounded strings na kahit 20 seconds na e tuloy pa din ang sustain. Btw, 2 months na yung 10-46 set ko sa gitara ko. Thanks!

Offline markezekiel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #419 on: July 13, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
R_chino sells these anti-rust sets. hehehe. will order from him asap. hehehe

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
planning to try elixirs. gauge 11 dunlop heavycore gamit ko ngayon. ano kayang pwede sakin sa elixirs?
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
planning to try elixirs. gauge 11 dunlop heavycore gamit ko ngayon. ano kayang pwede sakin sa elixirs?

Sakto sayo Elixir 10s bro!  :-)

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
R_chino sells these anti-rust sets. hehehe. will order from him asap. hehehe

go for it bro... r_chino is the man!!!

just got my 2 sets last friday!!!
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Sakto sayo Elixir 10s bro!  :-)

mas mataas po ba tension ng elixir strings?
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
mas mataas po ba tension ng elixir strings?

yup! ang 10s para 10.5s. :lol:
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.