hulika

Author Topic: Elixir String woot woot!!! Share your thoughts!!! Prog on!!!  (Read 81294 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
Re: Elixir String woot woot!!! Share your thoughts!!! Prog on!!!
« Reply #475 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Recently setup and changed the string of my Viper to Elixir Nanoweb. Tuned to drop C#. Okay now the feel's better. But setting this to E standard will make me 'not like' Elixir again.
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #476 on: August 01, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
same here. installed mine last january, last month lang naputol yung b string. bang for the buck talaga. i've heard some say na "kulob" daw yung tunog ng nanowebs, didn't notice it on my guitar though.
Polyweb daw yun

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
I love the saktong brightness of Elixir strings. I finally jammed for the first time in a loud band setting with my RG550EX with gauge 12 Elixir strings and I certainly made the right decision going thicker for drop B tuning.

Those on standard using gauge 9s - try 10s. Bigger and thicker tone.

I do hope they make dedicated 8-string sets. I am going that route and I would of course prefer to have Elixir on my future 8-stringer. Otherwise mukhang Ernie Ball bagsak ko.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:04:17 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #478 on: August 01, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
I love the saktong brightness of Elixir strings. I finally jammed for the first time in a loud band setting with my RG550EX with gauge 12 Elixir strings and I certainly made the right decision going thicker for drop B tuning.

Where'd you get those?
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline dimasalang

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #479 on: August 01, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

Those on standard using gauge 9s - try 10s. Bigger and thicker tone.

I do hope they make dedicated 8-string sets. I am going that route and I would of course prefer to have Elixir on my future 8-stringer. Otherwise mukhang Ernie Ball bagsak ko.

Meron naman yatang tingi na sakto ang gauge para sa 8th string ang elixir boss. Naisip ko kasi, bili na lang ako ng 7-string pack then bilin ko yung spare na string para sa 8th.

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #480 on: August 01, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
Where'd you get those?

The tried-and-tested Bossingboss method. :) Winner man especially if you tune to Drop B.

@dimasalang: Yeah figured that... Yun nga lang parang nakakabitin ang .068 eh. Parang feeling ko mismo yung 0.074 na nasa Ernie Ball eh. And it packs thicker strings for he 7th string din.

Really hope some time soon Elixir does a dedicated set with good gauges for 8-string guitars.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:56:31 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline oist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
nalagutan na ng hininga yung first set ko ng nanoweb strings. naputol kasi yung high E string. umabot ng 3 months bago bumigay yung resiliency nung high E string. nung lunes lang nawala sa intonation yung octave. superb tone kahit pawala na yung buhay nung strings.  :razz:

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
installed nanowebs on my acoustic last week. time to see how long it will last.
doh!!!

Offline gunlak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
bummer, just installed 10's on my bandmate's bnew tele and he played it for the first time last night on our album launch.. nabali yung A string nung last song na (out of 13).. tsktsktsk.

nabali rin yung A and D sa SG niya..

bad batch perhaps? or nasa hardware na nung guitar?  :-(
CLICK TO see baกิิิิิิat boys FB page!!!also check out my other band Skylines Forget

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »
@gunlak - that also happened to me before, A string as well, I had to slightly smoothen the groove of the saddle, after doing so, no more problems.
Fuseboxx/Kastigo guitarist ESP Artist 2011
Graphtech Endorser Elixir strings and cables
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline nepenthe

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #485 on: August 03, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
@gunlak - that also happened to me before, A string as well, I had to slightly smoothen the groove of the saddle, after doing so, no more problems.
magawa nga to. what did you use Mico? a nail file?LOL. although yung B string ang naputol sakin, just right now huhu. 3 months din tumagal

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #486 on: August 03, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
@ nepenthe - sandpaper grit 600 na folded, just make a few pases,then if you have a lead pencil, just a few strokes on the saddle grooves will help a lot.
Dealer of CHICKENPICKS  http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=312669.msg4325511#msg4325511

Offline chifonclo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #487 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »
installed nanowebs on my acoustic last week. time to see how long it will last.
how much sa acoustic string ng elixir same den ba sa electric?

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #488 on: August 04, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
how much sa acoustic string ng elixir same den ba sa electric?

i bought 10's polyweb (electric) for S$15. 11's nanoweb (acoustic) for S$23
doh!!!

Offline jjgalvan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #489 on: August 04, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
mga boss noob question ano magandang gauge for drop tune? thanks

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #490 on: August 04, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »
mga boss noob question ano magandang gauge for drop tune? thanks

What tuning are you planning on?

I generally follow John Petrucci's choice of gauge strings. Thick enough for me physically and tonally:

http://johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

Drop B (or C# standard) I would recommend gauge 12s. Bitin sa tone and sa playing for me ang 11s.

Whatever gauge you settle on, just make sure to get Elixir. Mismo na mismo.

Offline eros00

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »
seeing r_chino sells gauge 11s..dude are you getting them on a scheduled basis and need to inform you for a reservation o by special request?

@topic
My strings are reaching the 4 month mark and still amazingly superb!  ^-^
How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb? Doesn't matter, they're never in the light anyways...

FSO: Ibanez RGA 42 Heavily Modded 27K NEGO!

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #492 on: August 05, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
polyweb user here.

6 months on my tele, no rusting, still smooth as silk feel and tonewise.

then a month ago, a friend shipped 2 sets of Elixir polywebs from SG, installed 1 set on my strat right away, only to find them corroding after a month.

Puzzled, I remember someone mentioning that Elixir had problems with their anti-rust coating supplier and lyric didnt get from that batch or something like that.

then I checked the box from the set I got for my tele which I bought from Lyric, and then compared it with what I got from SG.

same box, only one difference.   8-)

from Singapore on the left, from Lyric on the right.  :cry:

and i was like, "So this is what they were talking about.."  :eek:

Offline jjgalvan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #493 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
What tuning are you planning on?

I generally follow John Petrucci's choice of gauge strings. Thick enough for me physically and tonally:

http://johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm

Drop B (or C# standard) I would recommend gauge 12s. Bitin sa tone and sa playing for me ang 11s.

Whatever gauge you settle on, just make sure to get Elixir. Mismo na mismo.
Drop c tune sir. thanks! I'll change my rusty old D'addario! :-p
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:03:19 PM by jjgalvan »

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #494 on: August 05, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
hirap naman humanap ng 11's!!  :|
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline eros00

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #495 on: August 05, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
I got my 11s from Lyric Megamall..try giving them a visit if you're nearby ^-^
How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb? Doesn't matter, they're never in the light anyways...

FSO: Ibanez RGA 42 Heavily Modded 27K NEGO!

Offline wilay

« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »
WOOOT!!!  ANG SWERTE KO KAHAPON SA SM NORTH EDSA 330 lan ang elixir dun lilipat kasi sila ng trinoma ayun bagsak price ang lhat... im using nano 9-46 mali nadampot dapat 9-42 ... pero ok lan ang ganda nya sa lht ng nagamit ko!!!

I also chanced upon this around three weeks ago, and though I'd never tried Elixirs before then, I'd read enough about them to know that buying a set for PhP 330 was a no-brainer. So I bought a couple of sets of Super Lights--one Nanoweb and one Polyweb to cover all my bases, since I didn't know the difference between them then--and went on my way, excited to know what the hype was all about.

Turns out, there's absolutely no hype! It's been three weeks since I installed the Nanoweb set on my Strat, and the strings literally look and feel the same as they did the day I put them in there. And I'm not using the word "literally" metaphorically here, as seems to be the craze these days--I'm using it really literally.

It seems that my acidic fingers have finally met their match.
Rig: So Cal/SDXM > Mark V 25 > EVM12L > \m/
References: norielpogi, funkista, markv, deltaslim, micsis, freedomtom, bluz_boi, ayam_ayam, ajct35, larry.galang, tedi, Arie Hipolito, oist, xelalien, rockarolla, caloi, xky, moncseb. Too many to fit

Offline wilay

« Reply #497 on: August 05, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
another reason why i switched back to my regular ernie's/d'addario.

nanoweb 9s feel like 9.5s/10s. Alice? :-D

also, i never liked nanoweb's treble strings.. no throatiness/vocal tone on bends & solos.

Interesting. Do you think Nanoweb 9s are heavy enough to affect intonation? The OC in me is suddenly itching to have my Strat intonated again :lol:
Rig: So Cal/SDXM > Mark V 25 > EVM12L > \m/
References: norielpogi, funkista, markv, deltaslim, micsis, freedomtom, bluz_boi, ayam_ayam, ajct35, larry.galang, tedi, Arie Hipolito, oist, xelalien, rockarolla, caloi, xky, moncseb. Too many to fit

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #498 on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
Interesting. Do you think Nanoweb 9s are heavy enough to affect intonation? The OC in me is suddenly itching to have my Strat intonated again :lol:

Anong gauge mo ngayon sir? Naka Elixir 10s ako ngayon pero baka this week, palitan ko ng 9s.. check ko kung kailangan ko pa i-adjust yung action and intonation..  :-)

Offline phoenix_rising

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »

If you are using 9's from the start, intonation will be fine, but if you go to higher gauge, 80% of the time you will need to have your guitar set up to accommodate the heavier gauge.