hulika

Author Topic: DW (DRUM WORKSHOP) Drums, Pedals & Hardware Thread  (Read 21760 times)

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: where to get tension screws for DW snare?
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
If you don't mind having non-DW parts...

Buy 3 generic lugs from Lazer.  Remove the 3 lugs from your snare. Remove from each lug the thing where you screw the screws in (you have to pull the springs out first). Replace this with the ones in the Lazer lugs.

Et voila. Kasya na.

400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline royalletones

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
try mo bro sa LYRIC PIANO. alam ko may ganyan silang tension rod.
successful deal via meetups/shipping: rasta_gopz, Blood_saves, nuthead, yekoz, nuthead, beepbeep, akgm52192, ivanovich05, wipeout, mr.diddle, wax_static, sandythedrummer, peeves24, vhinming, shotsofredmist, zildjian07, jejunaidrmmr, thegreatone, markcasq

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »
thanks for the quick reply guys..will call jb music kung meron sila..
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »
im not sure if your collector's snare uses the true-pitch tension rods. true-pitch tension rods uses finer threads and the regular tension rods wont fit on your lug. compare your existing rods with the available ones to check.

if the threads are the same, just buy the gibraltar tension rods...i believe its what dw also uses

checked my snare...medjo fine nga ung thread nya compared to generic tension rods lazer sells... :-P parepreho lng kya mga size ng DW tension rods? would you know? may unwanted "ring" kase when i do rimshots eh...kulang kse tornilyo

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
My DW experience: reminders, tips, and beep beep
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »
I bought this pedal sa classifieds natin. Ok na sana if not for the 4 stripped screws sa ilalim ng footboard which the seller failed to mention. Tuwang tuwa na sana ako but got the shock when I inspected the whole package at home. Can't play around with the extra heel rests dahil sa messed up screws.  Oh my, those screws are extremely that important!!! Those extra heel rests and other adjustments are useless if you mess up even just one of these screws... AND I GOT FOUR OF THEM!!! I got my migraine attack then and there. :roll:

I read the manual ng DW, those screws has chemical substance in them para kumapit ng husto ang screws. The problem is, over a long period of time those metals expand or contract freezing the screw threads into the hole dahil na rin sa chemical. But the manual has a trick. It says, In order to loosen chemical lock holding the screws, you may first need to heat them with a hair dryer for 2-3 minutes. Don't ever force it or you'll just strip the heads.

Stripped screws

Busted

But being a guy that I am who love challenges, I searched the net and bought the tools (additional gastos on my side to remove those darn screws that got stucked, which by the way should have been the sellers job, making sure the item is okay before selling them, as what had been posted in this particular ad... brand new.

My operating table and my tools... drill here and there.

I started working on the peds. Ang hirap talaga alisin nung screws, maliit and u have nothing to hold it to. Nagka paltos-paltos and kamay ko. Para akong nag-se-caesarian operation tryn to get my baby out. Daig ko pa ang tumugtog ng sampung set sa inabot ng kamay ko.  :cry:

Paltos... ouchh!

Luckily after a few hours and scraped skin I got it fixed. I remove all the screws and parts, cleaned it up, put it back again, in short overhauled it... ang whoa, bagong hilamos!

Screws replaced

Ilalim ng footboard

Bottomline, I really love this ped, very smooth and there's lots of adjustments to fit my playing style.   :mrgreen:
It's just that I earned it the hard way.  :-(

Whoaa... my baby!

Lots of adjustments, very nice!

Let's Rock n Roll

TIPS:
1. If you're a buyer: Leave some doubts when buying items sa classified, you can never be 100% assured.   :|
2. To the owners: Read those accompanying manuals, hindi nila isinasama yan para lang maluma. It contains those important instructions in there: how to unscrew, clean, dating 101, or tie your shoe...   :wink:
3. If you're a seller: Before selling your stuff make sure na-address mo lahat ng dapat malaman ng buyer. Pag may problem fix it first or if you can't fix it yourself, give discount. It helps build your credibility.  8-)

Peace bros!!  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:53:41 AM by alexdesigns »
The good life is NOT ABOUT looking good, feeling good and having the goods but rather about BEING good and DOING good.

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: My DW experience: reminders, tips, and beep beep
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2007, 05:09:47 PM »
Pare eto ata yung nireto ko sayu! Sorry man! Hehehe. Ako sana bibile nyan eh kasi akala ko "Brand New". So bale feeling mo niloko ka ng Seller? :mrgreen: Peace!!!
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2007, 01:01:22 AM »
As far as I know, DW's tension screws have 32 threads, compared to the generic 24 threads of a standard drum tension screw.

So that means you'll be needing original DW tension screws for your DW drum.

From DW's website (http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/drumfeatures.htm):

To give drummers even more control over their sound, DW created its patented True-Pitch® rod system. The rods feature 10/32 threads rather than the 10/24 that’s standard on most other drums. The result is a more exacting tuning process. True-Pitch® rods are only available in chrome and gold.

Contact or visit Lyric (DW's local distributor) and inquire about these spare parts.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2007, 01:38:55 AM »
Ahh... The DW pedal blues.

For those who are not aware of this legendary pedal comparison and test thread at the Pearl Drummers' Forum, click this... http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=60291 .

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2007, 07:48:04 AM »
Ahh... The DW pedal blues.

For those who are not aware of this legendary pedal comparison and test thread at the Pearl Drummers' Forum, click this... http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=60291 .

Yup I agree. I'm a fan of Iron Cobra myself dahil heavy-duty talaga ito. I'm actually buying one for the actual gigs and heavy playing. I own Pearl pedals din before. By the way, I'm buying gears again for my kids (my 10th month old baby can hold sticks and do the moeller technique, hehehe), pinagbili ko na kasi lahat ng gears ko in 1996 when I retired sa band.

Anyway, I bought the DW5000 primarily for practice and collection. I'm doing Steve Smith's CONSTANT RELEASE foot technique now and this pedal works great to develop those leg and hip muscles and also to improve your balance. The technique is similar to moeller technique only done sa foot. If you know the technique I believe you won't be breaking any pedals in the future.  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:54:46 AM by alexdesigns »
The good life is NOT ABOUT looking good, feeling good and having the goods but rather about BEING good and DOING good.

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:55 AM »
Pare eto ata yung nireto ko sayu! Sorry man! Hehehe. Ako sana bibile nyan eh kasi akala ko "Brand New". So bale feeling mo niloko ka ng Seller? :mrgreen: Peace!!!

ei Sandy, brand new talaga bro, kaya lang na-stock ng matagal. I believe 2002 or 2003 pa ata binili so tumigas na ung mga screws. kaya lang nde nila binasa yung manual and they forced-remove them kaya nasira. Puro double peds daw kasi ung gamit nung may-ari kaya hindi na naisalang ito. Anyway sulit naman, masayang masakit. hehehe. I didn't bother to return it kasi ang layo ng lugar nila. I-test drive ko ito sa Church pagbalik ko early next year. God bless bro, keep rockin!

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2007, 08:09:35 AM »
went to lyric alabang town center, Jb...baka daw sa makati branch nila meron...i noticed nga na fine ung thread ng tension rod ng dw compared to generic one sold at other shops... :cry: sna meron sa mkti...

thanks dio,peeves24,royalletone,inigo

Offline royalletones

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2007, 08:14:32 AM »
went to lyric alabang town center, Jb...baka daw sa makati branch nila meron...i noticed nga na fine ung thread ng tension rod ng dw compared to generic one sold at other shops... :cry: sna meron sa mkti...

thanks dio,peeves24,royalletone,inigo

lyrics sa sm north edsa may nakita akong mga tension rod don last week. im not sure kung yun yung size nung sa'yo. and isa pa. medyo malayo sa place mo yun para dayuhin.

hirap kasi dito sa atin. nagbebenta sila ng drums pero di lahat ng accesories, screws, hardware is available.  just like pearl. yung yupangco at perfect pitch wala silang resonant and yung mga hinahanap kong parts na pang session series.
successful deal via meetups/shipping: rasta_gopz, Blood_saves, nuthead, yekoz, nuthead, beepbeep, akgm52192, ivanovich05, wipeout, mr.diddle, wax_static, sandythedrummer, peeves24, vhinming, shotsofredmist, zildjian07, jejunaidrmmr, thegreatone, markcasq

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
Wow!! We're so much excited sa pagbabalik mo Sir Alex! Kailangan na ng mga Senyor dito!! Yahoo!!!
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »
The substance that binds the screws is called 'LOCTITE'. It's a type of hot-melt adhesive used for industrial purposes. I also had the same experience with those screws. Many years ago, I complained about the bearing hinge that my DW 5000 pedal had. It kept on loosening up on me. I emailed DW about it and they sent me 2 free replacement hinges, free of charge!

With the package, came instructions that you had to heat up the screws with a hairdryer before trying to loosen them.

Congrats on your new pedal! And let's hope nobody else makes the same mistake! hehehe

Offline vincher

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »
sana nagtanong ka dito about the screws. mahirap yung hair dryer, minsan di kaya,. ako i use lpg kalan sandaling maluwag na yung screws.i also learned it the hardway hehehehe

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »
lyrics sa sm north edsa may nakita akong mga tension rod don last week. im not sure kung yun yung size nung sa'yo. and isa pa. medyo malayo sa place mo yun para dayuhin.

hirap kasi dito sa atin. nagbebenta sila ng drums pero di lahat ng accesories, screws, hardware is available.  just like pearl. yung yupangco at perfect pitch wala silang resonant and yung mga hinahanap kong parts na pang session series.

went to lyric parksquare  yesterday....la daw sila tension rods for dw! sabi ko...diba kyo OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTOR ng DW drums? bat wala kyo replacement parts?!?  :cry:
subukan ko tawagam lyric sm north...sana meron sila...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
Ang taray mo naman sa mga tao sa Lyric, sir Bilibid! Hehehehe!

Pero still, it could be yours!!!!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2007, 03:23:03 AM »
The substance that binds the screws is called 'LOCTITE'. It's a type of hot-melt adhesive used for industrial purposes. I also had the same experience with those screws. Many years ago, I complained about the bearing hinge that my DW 5000 pedal had. It kept on loosening up on me. I emailed DW about it and they sent me 2 free replacement hinges, free of charge!

With the package, came instructions that you had to heat up the screws with a hairdryer before trying to loosen them.

Congrats on your new pedal! And let's hope nobody else makes the same mistake! hehehe

Thanks bro. Yeah, sabi nga ni Uncle Ben, "Always remember that with great gears comes great responsibility" so take good care of your gears.  :lol:

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
sana nagtanong ka dito about the screws. mahirap yung hair dryer, minsan di kaya,. ako i use lpg kalan sandaling maluwag na yung screws.i also learned it the hardway hehehehe

I first tried yung glue gun without the glue stick siyempre and it didn't work. I finally use a blow torch type lighter and it worked. Mas direct kasi yung apoy nya dun sa screw. Kaya lang be very careful kasi sometimes the metal may react differently sa heat. Also, baka tamaan mo yung metal finish at magka-peklat yung gear mo so ingat lang.

Offline alexdesigns

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2007, 03:40:01 AM »
Wow!! We're so much excited sa pagbabalik mo Sir Alex! Kailangan na ng mga Senyor dito!! Yahoo!!!

Yeah, excited na rin ako to come back kaya lang I need more time. Kino-correct ko kasi yung style ko and form. I'm developing my hand (esp yung left) and foot techniques ala Natural Evolution ni Dave Weckl, hehehe. Nag-shift din ako from match grip to traditional grip. I hope to jam with you guys soon.

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2007, 08:51:59 AM »
Ang taray mo naman sa mga tao sa Lyric, sir Bilibid! Hehehehe!

Pero still, it could be yours!!!!

hehe i love its sound! so warm and yet cuts though...pero trip din yung picolo na porkpie...ska yung NC... :|

NO TXT spelling please
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:58:36 AM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline signia

DW 7000 double pedal
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »
Anyone who knows how much this retails in the philippines? I'm in the US, gusto ko ko lang compare kasi kung konti lang difference I'll just buy there when I get home next month. Thanks!

Offline woodstockintheattic

Re: DW 7000 double pedal
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
Hey, I suggest you get yours in the US if possible because it costs about 10k there as compared to our Lyric stores in the Phil wherein it costs more than 15k.
Go beyond what has already been written.

www.myspace.com/barbaromusika

Offline signia

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »
Thanks for the info. It does cost about 10K++ here.

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »
last year inquiry ko yung 9000 is around 30k pero they are willing to give discounts daw.