hulika

Author Topic: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...  (Read 116012 times)

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Pieces of gear that everyone seems to like, except you...
« Reply #275 on: December 24, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
yes, come to think of it ... the sound of a good Les Paul is impossible to hate.

if you love Slash's tone, yep... Les Paul. Jimmy Page? Les Paul

Eric Clapton, SRV and Hendrix? OK, not a Les Paul, but a good Les Paul can get really close to that territory.

OK, so you are one of those "modern guys" and you like bands that dont play slower than 180 bpm ... still, a good Les Paul can nail those Nile, Dream Theater, insert whatever modern band here cause i am too old to find any of those technical acts exciting.

Besides, with genres like that, it has a lot more to do with the amp than the guitar (they cover their sound with so much gain, what you have left is a guitar's response and whether its using a single coil or humbucker PUP)

now, the Les Paul isn't infallible, cause there are other things you could dislike about it:

1.) shape = its a "classic" shape
2.) neck = i prefer the strat neck too
3.) your very very unique taste in tone and music (you know, you are the type who hates stuff people like). it wont be a surprised you'd like the extreme fuzz pedals (i like them too, but i like the sound of a Les Paul as well).

same thing with good stratocasters.

I guess i am just a very mainstream guy, and every song ive liked that has a guitar in it has Les Pauls and/or Strats in it... i might also wanna sneak in a Tele.

i think some people hate them because they have not heard the good ones, or well, because of the stuff i mentioned.

funny though, i have not owned a good Les Paul ... i did own a very good Orville Firebird (it can sound like a Tele!).

-*-

and another +1 to the stuff about Floyd Roses ... those stuff we complain about only happen to the bad floyd roses (there are so many of them, sadly)i.e.

1.) hard to set-up
2.) gets out of tune often
3.) kills sustain

those stuff are from bad Floyd Roses. if you have a good one ... man, its amazing.

i have only owned one guitar with a really good Floyd Rose, and i couldnt use its features. it was a 1996 USA Dimebag Signature i sold to a guy from France.

-*-

sadly, a lot of us are not experienced enough to really hate the way something sounds (me included).

as for looks and playability though, we all are entitled to that

impossible to hate? why? whatever your reason is, it's just your opinion.  :)

i also disagree about the srv and hendrix thing. les pauls do not quack and their neck pickup is too muddy(IMO).  <_<

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #276 on: December 24, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »
Double Neck Guitars :-D
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline .Geno.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #277 on: December 24, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
les pauls do not quack and their neck pickup is too muddy(IMO).  <_<

Not all Les Paul's neck humbucker position are muddy for I have heard and tried a few which aren't. I guess it's more pleasing to start your sentence with 'Some Les Paul's...' or 'Most Les Paul's...' though :)

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »
^^ muddy pag panget ang amp :-D
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #279 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
^^ muddy pag panget ang amp :-D

Lahat naman ganun pag panget ang amp.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #280 on: December 24, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »
Not all Les Paul's neck humbucker position are muddy for I have heard and tried a few which aren't. I guess it's more pleasing to start your sentence with 'Some Les Paul's...' or 'Most Les Paul's...' though :)

that's why i said "IMO".  :)

IMO = in my opinion
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:33:43 PM by paul_sigua »

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
What are the gears that everyone seems to like? Parang naging gears I don't like lang to.  :?

Offline IncX

« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »
What are the gears that everyone seems to like? Parang naging gears I don't like lang to.  :?

thats easy!

-les pauls
-strats
-teles
-marshall jcm 800s
-mesa boogie rectifier
-fender dual reverb

the stuff that made great rock and roll basically...

Offline IncX

« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
impossible to hate? why? whatever your reason is, it's just your opinion.  :)

i also disagree about the srv and hendrix thing. les pauls do not quack and their neck pickup is too muddy(IMO).  <_<

you should try the good ones :)

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »
so you're saying all the all les pauls ive played and heard are bad ones?  :-o
i like the bridge pickup, but other than that, nah. different strokes for different people i guess.
i just find it funny when people impose their opinions to others.
"all guitarists should like les pauls".. why? it's all down to personal taste.  :)

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
Everyone seems to like standalone dirt pedals except me. I'd still go for a nice overdriven/distorted amp+cab model from a good multi-effects unit.
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
OT: I admit of being a noob when it comes to floyded guitars so thanks for the enlightenment. :)  I may need to buy a real Floydrose bridge and have it assembled to a luthier since wala akong katyaga tyaga kung ako mismo gagawa.  Any idea how much a real Floyd bridge cost?

BTT: The tremolo effect maybe?  Sounds techno of some sort...  :roll:

the cheap copies can benefit from a block change or saddle change so strings can vibrate better. as for tuning stability, proper setup and good springs can do you good. tuning stability can really depend on a lot of things including your neck angle, body wood, where the spring claws are hooked, arm, headstock angle, string gauge etc etc.

the real floyd rose costs around 12k i think. try those from guitar fetish. i tried one and it's quite decent and stable. 

Offline ierofan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
Fender SS amps. >:(
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

[This signature has been blocked in accordance to RA No. 10175]

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2011, 01:58:32 AM »
another thing i dont like is clean boost, i prefer a loud cleanish with little dirt so overdrive nalang, solo boost is another story.

Offline IncX

« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2011, 02:01:57 AM »
so you're saying all the all les pauls ive played and heard are bad ones?  :-o
i like the bridge pickup, but other than that, nah. different strokes for different people i guess.
i just find it funny when people impose their opinions to others.
"all guitarists should like les pauls".. why? it's all down to personal taste.  :)

i ddnt say that. so are free to not like a les paul. i just stated an opinion thats its hard to not like the way a good les paul sounds.

oh well, at least you said that you like the bridge pick-up. so you dont hate em after all, you just ddnt like my post?

hehe, its ok... a lot of forumers do not like my posting style as well.

Offline MarksmanXXI

« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »
I don't like the pedal TS9 Tube Screamer. I just don't know why some like these pedal for pushing some sounds. But yeah somewhat I dislike it for I don't know why should I add it up. Somewhat enlightened by some fellow musicians. Still I ain't liking it.
Music is the way of life

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2011, 02:50:27 AM »
i ddnt say that. so are free to not like a les paul. i just stated an opinion thats its hard to not like the way a good les paul sounds.

oh well, at least you said that you like the bridge pick-up. so you dont hate em after all, you just ddnt like my post?

hehe, its ok... a lot of forumers do not like my posting style as well.

i don't hate les pauls. but i dont like them either.  :)

di ikaw ung binanggit ko bro, may nagpost nun bago ikaw.  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 02:54:12 AM by paul_sigua »

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2011, 03:06:47 AM »
I didn't know Les Pauls could sound bright, actually. At least after reading Filippo's thread sa kabila, naenlighten ako dun. I always thought Les Pauls sounded thick and chunky. Lots of the bands I like used them but I guess I'm just partial to the feel (never played a "good" LP before so yeah, biased) of Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters (tried a '62 and a number of mexican/Japanese Jazzies/Jags). Soundwise, they just don't do it for me. Functionally, I'm a sucker for that Jazzmaster trem. Suits my needs. Looks-wise, I'd pick offset every time.

Again, I won't say anything about tone considering every guitar has good and bad apples. The older LPs (from what I hear in those compressed youtube vids and read about in articles) seem brighter sounding and a lot more "alive." If that's the case, I might like how they sound from time to time but if you give me free rein to take one guitar from a vintage guitar shop, I'd go for a '59 Jazzmaster or a '62 Jaguar.

Everyone appears to like Les Pauls. I don't hate them but I'm not too crazy about them. Not a fan, really.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2011, 03:12:04 AM »
Colorful Dr. Neon Strings!

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »
Fender SS amps. >:(

i think not a lot of people like fender ss amps anyway. too shrill and thin sounding even at clean.

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
floyd rose system for guitars

fuzz pedals

vox pathfinder amp

colorful strings

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:15:57 AM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline IncX

« Reply #296 on: December 25, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
floyd rose system for guitars

fuzz pedals

vox pathfinder amp

colorful strings

a guy who likes shred but doesnt like whammy bars?!

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #297 on: December 25, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »

IMPOSSIBRU?!

Nah just kidding. I'm one of those guys. :wave:
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #298 on: December 25, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »

maraming ganun
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
tinatamad lang mga yan mag restring at setup ng floyd rose type bridges. hehehehe biro lang. alam ko hassle talaga.

mas madali i-setup kahler kaso pangit lang siya talaga tignan. buti first electric guitar ko naka floyd copy na kaya nasanay na. iba din talaga tuning stability pag na setup mo mabuti. i dont have to tune everytime.

BTT:
Elixir strings- ang dulas, masyado bright tunog. iba yung feel kaya hindi ko feel. hantayin ko kalawangin yung akin tapos alisin ko na. will go back to dunlops. basic and it works. di naman malakas kalawangin dunlop.