hulika

Author Topic: the jerks!  (Read 13910 times)

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
Re: the jerks!
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »
While I realize The Jerks has morphed into a great Stones and Steely Dan cover band, I hope they don't ever get rid of their socially-oriented originals - "Rage", "Sayaw Sa Bubog", "Reklamo nang Reklamo". It would be an utter waste if they just blended into cover band city.

amen...pero sad reality like we all know too well, who can really support a family playing original music :(
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »
Nitoy sessioned for us in Bora.

not to put the band in a bad spot or something...but I couldn't help remebering The Jerks' cover of Sting's "Heavy Cloud.."  He kept on singing Heavy CloudS but, no rain!

okay, you may hit me now..

Ang alam ko ganyan parin e. Huli ko silang napanood sa Angeles, mga end of last school year(hehe, yan ang reference ko sa  time e). Ganun parin, Sting pala yun :-D.

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
The Jerks @ Handlebar Makati (Polaris St) - November 3 (Fri)
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »
  I hope  you can announce hre the next gig of the Jerks in Handle Bar so that I can bring my makati friends in that gig. Thanks

The Jerks will be playing in Handlebar Makati tonight, Nov 3

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 09:14:35 PM »
Oi! I saw Sir Chikoy board off at the Buendia MRT Station last November 3! I greeted him! Man, what a moment with a legend! So cool! It was embarassing nga lang kasi I forgot their band name (star struck talaga!). I hope he was able to greet Sir Caloy for me. I almost melted!  :-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2006, 08:32:24 PM »
Oi! I saw Sir Chikoy board off at the Buendia MRT Station last November 3! I greeted him! Man, what a moment with a legend! So cool! It was embarassing nga lang kasi I forgot their band name (star struck talaga!). I hope he was able to greet Sir Caloy for me. I almost melted!  :-D

pakipunasan ang tumutulo kong laway.. tol, kelangan mo na magdonate sa charity sa sobrang swerte mo.
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »
A-hahahaha!  :-D Them moments talaga!  :-D If I only had the dough I'd donate!  :-D It was really some night, pare.  :-D

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2006, 01:35:05 AM »
anyone know where i can get a copy of their album with sayaw sa bubog and rage? i used to have that when it came out... i was i think 1st year high school then. not sure. basta bata pa ako. and wow that was an amazing album! but i lost it a few years ago and never found a replacement...
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2006, 09:30:16 AM »
anyone know where i can get a copy of their album with sayaw sa bubog and rage? i used to have that when it came out... i was i think 1st year high school then. not sure. basta bata pa ako. and wow that was an amazing album! but i lost it a few years ago and never found a replacement...

I got a copy of that album last year sa 70's Bistro... baka meron pa doon...

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »
sana meron pa. i'll drop by soon.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:43 AM »
Was that the CD they recorded for Star Records (ABS-CBN's label?) ... I think I have that around here uhmmmm somewhere... my only criticism when it came out was that it sounded "too clean". The Jerks should always be a little rough around the edges.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »
i really dont know about the reacording... alam ko lang sir na that was around '98 i think.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2006, 02:09:02 PM »
Was that the CD they recorded for Star Records (ABS-CBN's label?) ... I think I have that around here uhmmmm somewhere... my only criticism when it came out was that it sounded "too clean". The Jerks should always be a little rough around the edges.

yeah i remember when we played at freedom bar, chikoy was there.. he told me about that recording and said it that it's very different..

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
Pangit naman kung watered dwon yung sound nila. Nasisira tuloy yung edge nila which is an integral part of the band's musical character.  :-(

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
The Jerks' "Rage" being covered by a Japanes band called "Sou-Sou":

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2006, 02:12:08 AM »

I actually have no problem with that album -- if anything, it just illustrates how strong those songs are and how great the playing is. Being the quintessential "bar band", most all of us hear them through "bar gear" on any given night. The revelation on that album is that a lot of what you can't possibly hear on less than ideal bar stages is actually ALL there -- articulate, deliberate, and deftly executed. It's a great record of what's actually happening in the playing of those original tunes. It's impressive and tasty. Hats off ako diyan sa album na iyan.  :wink:

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2006, 03:12:19 AM »
The Jerks' "Rage" being covered by a Japanes band called "Sou-Sou":

Wow that's great, I had to do a double take when I saw this - however "Rage" does have a sort of universal appeal among those crying out against injustice. Hope Springsteen covers this someday and pays Chikoy royalties.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2006, 10:25:34 AM »
Is my hearing off, or did he not say ".....go not gentry....."?

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
Is my hearing off, or did he not say ".....go not gentry....."?

BB, you're right.  However it sounded more like "Gonad gentry".

Nuts....

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2006, 09:05:44 AM »
 :lol: :-D