hulika

Author Topic: Which would improve recording more: Microphone or Mic Preamp?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Ninjek

• Veteran Member
Which would improve recording more: Microphone or Mic Preamp?
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
Hi!  :-D

I would just like to hear some opinions from you guys :-D

Basically ganito. Let's say my budget is 5k-10k. I'd like to purchase something that would improve vocal recordings in my home studio Would I be better off buying a good quality (I say 'good' lang kasi I'm sure the GREAT quality ones cost more than 10k) large diaphragm condenser mic, OR a good quality standalone Mic Preamp?

Microphone I have in mind: Audio Technica AT2020 or Behringer B1
Preamp: Presonus Tube Pre

The stuff I currently use for vocal recording:
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
TC Harmony-M Vocal Processor (mild EQ, Compression, and sometimes backup voices)
Audix OM5 Dynamic Microphone

What do you guys think? Bili ako ng LDC mic, or standalone Mic Preamp?

OR wala ba masyadong mababago ang 5k-10k upgrade, considering what I already have?   :lol:

As always, thanks in advance!

I write original songs in Filipino and English. Then, I record them in my room. Feel free to listen to them!

https://soundcloud.com/ninjek

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Which would improve recording more: Microphone or Mic Preamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
The problem is, the signal chain is greater than the sum of its parts.  Even if you put a Neumann U67 through a Behringer mic preamp, you won't have a very desirable sound if you would compare it to most classic recordings where a U67 was used.  On the other hand, if your mic was 'ok' and put through a Neve 1073 preamp, you would just be bringing out more of the issues with the mic because you have  a preamp that brings out all the details.

To answer your question, go for a smooth-sounding LDC mic, and use a fairly balanced mic preamp.  But if your budget is 10k max, try finding an Oktava MK-319. 

Offline Ninjek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »
The problem is, the signal chain is greater than the sum of its parts...
...To answer your question, go for a smooth-sounding LDC mic, and use a fairly balanced mic preamp.  But if your budget is 10k max, try finding an Oktava MK-319.

Thanks for the input sir  :-D

Yup I'm leaning towards the LDC microphone nga talaga.. mukhang ok nga yung Oktava based on reviews, although I doubt I could find one here in our country  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:15:51 AM by Ninjek »
I write original songs in Filipino and English. Then, I record them in my room. Feel free to listen to them!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
If the question was to shift from an OM5 dynamic to an LDC (condenser?), vs getting a better preamp than a Focusrite Scarlett, I think you should go with buying an LDC na condenser, because they would pick up a wider frequency range than normal dynamics, so your vocals will sound clearer.

Get the AT2020, parang mas even yung sound nya than B1. Parang may dip sa lows ang Behringer B1 eh (well, unless yun ang trip mo).
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
If BAMF were to intrude into this topic, he would say the Behri B2 instead of the B1. This thread over at gearslutz does reveal some interesting things about this particular multipattern LDC.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Ninjek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:12 PM »
If the question was to shift from an OM5 dynamic to an LDC (condenser?), vs getting a better preamp than a Focusrite Scarlett, I think you should go with buying an LDC na condenser, because they would pick up a wider frequency range than normal dynamics, so your vocals will sound clearer.

Get the AT2020, parang mas even yung sound nya than B1. Parang may dip sa lows ang Behringer B1 eh (well, unless yun ang trip mo).

Yes sir that was really the question I wanted to ask   :)

I've tried the B1, although Fast Track USB pa lang ang gamit ko nun connected to an ART phantom power supply... Ok naman ang sound, but I couldn't really say na it was worth the price... Para sakin malapit na rin sa C1 eh haha...

The AT2020 I've heard na, and gusto ko nga talaga ang sound  :-D

Thanks for the input sir!

Offline Ninjek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
If BAMF were to intrude into this topic, he would say the Behri B2 instead of the B1. This thread over at gearslutz does reveal some interesting things about this particular multipattern LDC.

Hi again sir Kit!

Actually yang B2-Pro, matagal ko nang gusto masubukan.. Kaya lang bihira ako makahanap dito sa country, and nung one time na nakakita ako, may LDC naman ako hahaha..

I'd happily get it if budget permits  :-D Thanks!

Offline maximus0fficial

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:03 PM »
buy a good mic first before the preamp since you have a tight budget. personally ksi i didnt find those cheap preamps improve the quality of my recordings. pero if you buy those really good ones it would be a big steeping stone in terms of quality sa recording mo

Offline Ninjek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
buy a good mic first before the preamp since you have a tight budget. personally ksi i didnt find those cheap preamps improve the quality of my recordings. pero if you buy those really good ones it would be a big steeping stone in terms of quality sa recording mo

Thanks for the input sir!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »
mxl990 LDC mic & Art TPS II pre-amp gamit ko ngayon. Any comments mga sir?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
buy the best audio interface you can afford then invest in a good mic. even at its most basic, a nice interface will have usable inputs leaving you with enough cash to invest in a flexible mic.

remember, you can have a great mic and preamp but if your converters are cr@p you are still pipping your signal into the DAW through a weak link in the chain.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
buy the best audio interface you can afford then invest in a good mic. even at its most basic, a nice interface will have usable inputs leaving you with enough cash to invest in a flexible mic.

remember, you can have a great mic and preamp but if your converters are cr@p you are still pipping your signal into the DAW through a weak link in the chain.

Nice info sir! Any comments sa Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Nice info sir! Any comments sa Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL?

i havent used that particular unit but Presonus generally makes great stuff. I do have experience tracking with a Firestudio remotely and it had clean pres that worked well on a kit I was recording. Record your music in as quiet and well prepped an area as you can and play around with the elements of the recording chain to improve that you have to work with and see how far you can get with good recordings.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline RATBUMAN

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:51 AM »
If you are using a Mac, I would suggest buying an Apogee Duet. The Duet 1 is relatively cheap nowadays as compared to the upgraded Duet 2.  Duet 1 goes for around 250-300 dollars in Craigslist or Ebay.  Duet 2 goes for 450-500 dollars second hand. However, I was able to buy a second hand Duet 2 for 300 dollars though. Chamba, chamba lang sa Craigslist. With a Duet you have very good AD/DA converters and you have relatively good MIC preamps.

If you have a PC go for a RME baby face. It has the same features as the Duet but in addition it has MIDI capability and the recording software has built in effects such as reverb. It is also expandable to more channel inputs down the road.  It goes for around 700 dollars brand new.

Both units are considered really good by professional studio engineers.

Once you have a decent Mic pre and AD/DA converters then you go buy your Mics.

see the following links:
http://video.apogeedigital.com/2012/02/recording-drums-with-apogee-duet-2/
feature=related
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:22:24 AM by RATBUMAN »

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:39 AM »
UP.. these are good topics...

my answer.. BOTH.

Where is BAMF anyway?
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua