hulika

Author Topic: akai MPD 16-what software to use for DRUM loops & patter  (Read 1750 times)

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
akai MPD 16-what software to use for DRUM loops & patter
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
peace to all!

good day sir kitC just got the Akai MPD 16(together with the EMu xboard 49), and i havent had the chance to see on what specific software to use (or havent seen it yet  ) for DRUM sequences, loops, patterns and DRUM sound(close-R to the real thing) What software should i be getting? para mukang live drums. :roll: does REASON has the same use with BATTERY software.help po. :roll:

salamat..ngatz..gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
Reason is a great piece of software. You can load REX files into it's Dr. Rex player and you'll be good to go. Alternatively, you can also load loops into it's NN-XT sampler and fool around with the parameters to mangle up your loop. Reason's biggest limitation? It's doesn't record a wav track so you can't add vocals to the mix. This is where Fruity Loops goes one over Reason.

Battery is a Native Instruments drum/percussion sample playback plugin. It gives you very realistic drum samples that you can play using midi - the MPD allows you to play the samples live. Battery is not a loop playback synth although, in theory, you can load a loop into one of the "pads" and trigger them with midi. The purpose of Battery is to give you excellent samples of drums far above what you usually get from a cheap sound module, free soundfont, or even the included TTS-1 synth in Sonar, e.g.

If loops and pattern based sequencing are what you're after, either FL Studio or Ableton Live is best for you, with Reason a close second since it doesn't record audio.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:12:49 AM »
good day sirkitC, buti nalang meron akong ableton live na kasama dun sa binili kong mga gamit, so try ko muna ang sabi nyo...ignoramus pa kasi ako dun e... :?

pero re: sa battery, di pala sila the same ng reason...and i also read na ung NI Kontakt daw ang dapat kasi miski ung Battery daw e under sa NI KONTAKT.i dont know regarding sa loop problem which battery hasnt.naku di ko lam pa tong mga to!anu ba yan! :cry:

testing ableton testing 1-2-3.
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »
Quote from: bindoy

pero re: sa battery, di pala sila the same ng reason...and i also read na ung NI Kontakt daw ang dapat kasi miski ung Battery daw e under sa NI KONTAKT.i dont know regarding sa loop problem which battery hasnt.naku di ko lam pa tong mga to!anu ba yan! :cry:

bindoy,

Let's clear some misconceptions about Kontakt and Battery.

Kontakt is touted as a sampler, but it's more of a sample playback engine. You use it to manipulate, distort, or otherwise, mangle samples of whatever; it can also do straight playback of samples. It can also do loops if you set it to do that but it's not as straightforward as a simple loop player. As it is, Kontakt is DEEP; it would be wise to learn a little more about samplers and their algorithms.

Battery is also a sample playback engine but it's sounds are geared towards drum samples and it provides you with a lot of very realistic drum sets. You have to program a loop in midi to be able to use Battery.

Reason and FL Studio are very similar pattern based sequencers. Others are Project 5 and Ableton Live. Aside from the previously mentioned Dr. Rex, there is also the Cyclone and RXP loop players which is included in Sonar and Project5. If you search the net, there are a lot of free loop players; I think I've even included some links in the Free Plugins sticky.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »
ok sirkitC, research research research.thanks.
ROCK WITH GOD!!!