hulika

Author Topic: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention  (Read 43674 times)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Re: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Just a reminder, guys: boutique doesn't necessarily mean uber expensive every single time. For example, D. Allen pickups are really affordable and they sound great. I bought a Cheetah set for my Suhr Classic T for $150 and took out the stock Suhr Classic T neck/bridge pickups. The Cheetah set sounds better, in my opinion. Dynamic, less noisy and sounds better with OD/distortion.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
Can anyone comment on BGPups?  They get some rave reviews and aren't as expensive...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
but we need to learn..and sometimes it's the hard way (the brutal truth in this case) that does it best..plus wasn't it your intention to help improve the 'consciousness' of filipino musicians in regards to tone? that's why you started this thread to help right?

I think I already identified some great pickups and Ian even provided a more affordable alternative.  Better to focus on what sounds great because it solves problems rather than focus on those that are not.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »

thank you sir. appreciate this very much especially all this info coming from you.

this time let's flip the coin to the other side..

who would be your top 5 'worst' pickup makers/companies?
i'll have a go:

1) whoever makes pickups for RJ (the phrase "plastic sounding" comes to mind)
2) whoever makes those pickups that come stock on chinese ibbys (not the V7 and its series-mates)
3) whoever makes those pickups that used to come stock on Epis (between '99 to right about the time they moved most production from korea), the 57CH and HOTCH stickered ones
4) whoever fender uses to wind the stock MIM standard pickups
5) but those are almost forgiveable kasi they're in relatively cheap guitars but for a company that makes such expensive guitars to put them in, Gibson's 490R and 496R are pretty blah sounding neck pickups (they do ok in the bridge though).

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
wow..so you mean, Seymour DUncan and Dimarzios have nothing to offer and are just hype and marketing?....hehehe in my opinion... di naman siguro, Im sure madami namang satisfied customers ang brands na yan...and has improved their guitars performance..and output..and they are still being used by a lot of players..plus installed in a lot of major guitar brands guitar models....

perhaps sa super duper, mega, higher, level ng TONE SEARCHING..pwede i-junk yung popular brands na yan.....

onga mejo naguluhan ako, as to dimarzios/SD pups are compared to worse..

well sir, given by your high level of judgement, and since there are those pickups that don't promise anything,, if you would consider dimarzios/SD boutique pickups, would you consider them as an entry level to your preferred tone/"magandang" tone? or for you sir they're just normal pickups that will give normal roar or give life to let's say a life less guitar? hehehe

And baby if I need to, yeah I will keep you in the corner of my eye...

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
Just a reminder, guys: boutique doesn't necessarily mean uber expensive every single time. For example, D. Allen pickups are really affordable and they sound great. I bought a Cheetah set for my Suhr Classic T for $150 and took out the stock Suhr Classic T neck/bridge pickups. The Cheetah set sounds better, in my opinion. Dynamic, less noisy and sounds better with OD/distortion.

The offset guitar community has a member who winds pickups under the name Chnl.One, He specializes in Jaguar and Jazzmaster pickups. So far maganda ang feedback sa kanya ng mga naka vintage Jag and JM. It's $120 a set ata from him.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
onga mejo naguluhan ako, as to dimarzios/SD pups are compared to worse..

well sir, given by your high level of judgement, and since there are those pickups that don't promise anything,, if you would consider dimarzios/SD boutique pickups, would you consider them as an entry level to your preferred tone/"magandang" tone? or for you sir they're just normal pickups that will give normal roar or give life to let's say a life less guitar? hehehe

As I said before, if you have an average guitar in terms of sound & character, pwede na ang seymour duncan, EMG or DiMarzio.  No point spending  on more expensive pickups if  the guitar wood is average.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
Can anyone comment on BGPups?  They get some rave reviews and aren't as expensive...

Dodjie, I'm gonna try them out by early next year. I want to experiment on new pickups. Sabay ka sa order?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline TKTS

« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
I think I already identified some great pickups and Ian even provided a more affordable alternative.  Better to focus on what sounds great because it solves problems rather than focus on those that are not.

got balls?

i'll start here's my list of pickups to avoid:

1. rj pickups
2. gfs pickups
3. artec pickups
4. stock mim standard pickups
5. cheap ceramic china made pickups

disclaimer: these just didn't do it for me. but what doesn't work with me doesn't mean it won't work within your set up. kanya kanya lang talaga pag dating sa taste
Quote from: Ron Kirn
In the world of lumber, heaver species typically mean a higher quality of lumber. it was the "junk" woods that are soft 'n light.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
+1

wilde pickups fall into that category din. better than anything from dimarzio or duncan and cheaper than most of the stuff those 2 companies offer too.

smits pickups are relatively inexpensive too and give you a lot of options pagdating sa combos you can get between winds and magnets.

Offline TKTS

« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
i'll have a go:

2) whoever makes those pickups that come stock on chinese ibbys (not the V7 and its series-mates)
3) whoever makes those pickups that used to come stock on Epis (between '99 to right about the time they moved most production from korea), the 57CH and HOTCH stickered ones
5) but those are almost forgiveable kasi they're in relatively cheap guitars but for a company that makes such expensive guitars to put them in, Gibson's 490R and 496R are pretty blah sounding neck pickups (they do ok in the bridge though).

you got balls sir, thanks for sharing.
Quote from: Ron Kirn
In the world of lumber, heaver species typically mean a higher quality of lumber. it was the "junk" woods that are soft 'n light.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

So it boils down to two categories: good sounding and bad sounding pickups.. And who determines which is which? The players ear..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
So it boils down to two categories: good sounding and bad sounding pickups.. And who determines which is which? The players ear..

There are certain traits in pickups that are generally considered to be desirable and there are times when the methods in pickup construction that will allow for these traits to surface aren't very well-known. The pickup builders who know what those traits are and how they'll come out in their products mostly happen to be in the small-shop (i.e. boutique) industry. Due to this, price point isn't supposed to be the only focus; we should prioritize the builders' knowledge on pickups and how they interact with the other elements of guitars.

The great boutique pickup builders who slap high price tags on their products just happen to know how much their knowledge and experience are worth.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »
There are certain traits in pickups that are generally considered to be desirable and there are times when the methods in pickup construction that will allow for these traits to surface aren't very well-known. The pickup builders who know what those traits are and how they'll come out in their products mostly happen to be in the small-shop (i.e. boutique) industry. Due to this, price point isn't supposed to be the only focus; we should prioritize the builders' knowledge on pickups and how they interact with the other elements of guitars.

The great boutique pickup builders who slap high price tags on their products just happen to know how much their knowledge and experience are worth.

well for me, there are some traits of those boutique things that i dont like.. though desirable for others..

i remember complaining about something in my guitar that does harmonics.. did go to arie for him to check it out, and says that to others its desirable.. wala na raw ako magagawa kasi character na ng guitar ko yun..well i just said to myself that i wanna get rid of it if possible..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
basta ako okay na ako sa rj ko.good na yun.
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
well for me, there are some traits of those boutique things that i dont like.. though desirable for others..

i remember complaining about something in my guitar that does harmonics.. did go to arie for him to check it out, and says that to others its desirable.. wala na raw ako magagawa kasi character na ng guitar ko yun..well i just said to myself that i wanna get rid of it if possible..

I don't know about you, but I only have six things that I check whenever I test a pickup: clarity, EQ/volume balance, harmonic response, dynamics, noise suppression and overall voicing. They're the usual characteristics that knowledgeable guitarists generally give more importance to. Application would then be the next consideration. Just like mass produced brands, boutique pickup builders also have different pickup models for different applications, but they only do it better on the average. For example, for low gain 60s Strat voicing, Fender 57/62 single coils will never match up favorably against Bare Knuckle Mother's Milk, Suhr/JS Technologies V60LP or Klein 60s sets.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:00:46 AM by Poundcake »

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
+1

wilde pickups fall into that category din. better than anything from dimarzio or duncan and cheaper than most of the stuff those 2 companies offer too.

smits pickups are relatively inexpensive too and give you a lot of options pagdating sa combos you can get between winds and magnets.

+1 for Wilde pickups. For tele fans, you might want to check out Cavalier pickups by Rob Distefano of Frettech.com. He makes great tele and strat pickups. The tele pickups go for $60 each, so that's $120 for a set. I have the Lion bridge (hotterwound 50s style pickup) in the bridge position of my tele. Spanky, beefy twang. Pairs up nicely with the Twang King.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
I think nathanmanansala should be reprimanded for making this thread serious again.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
I apologize for being slow on the uptake. next time, please use html tags like this:
[justfeedingthetroll]talaga dude? how'd it go?[/justfeedingthetroll]

or let me in on the gag right away. :lol:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »
+1

Wilde is wild  :)

They aren't considered "traditional", but I love the high fidelity of Bill's pick ups, and his principles on creating pick ups that do not focus on messing with frequencies that filter wood's inherent tone.

It's an acquired taste.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #245 on: November 15, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
i'll have a go:

+1 ako dito
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown

Offline blackgino77

• Netizen Level
« Reply #246 on: November 15, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
What he lets me here is his playing, his guitars and his amps.  We don't fine tune by phone.  He calls me up to get my review of his pickups on my guitar.
Oh, you said kasi before na he "tests" your hearing through the phone for more than an hour or so and I found that baffling, coming from a tone guy such as you.

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #247 on: November 15, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
i'll have a go:

This! First hand experience. Tunog utot. Hahaha.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
This! First hand experience. Tunog utot. Hahaha.

Hahahahaha. Pretty accurate description, actually.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »
Same thing here with MIM strats. The pickup during its first month sounded fine. For reasons I can't put my finger on, the sound becomes very very dull after. Despite having Twin Reverbs and Bassman as amps, the guitar still cannot cut through.

I then I bought a new set while I was in Singapore. The clarity was there but it distorts too easily.

I thin bought a Fender 57/62 strat set. Not at par wit Sure and Bare Knuckles, but at least I don't have my nagging complaints anymore.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park