hulika

Author Topic: Your Fave Boutique Builder  (Read 2444 times)

Offline IncX

Your Fave Boutique Builder
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »
do you patronize or trust a certain boutique brand? why so? who is your fave guy in terms of personality or build personality? if you were to buy a certain pedal, sight unseen, who would you go for? share them all here

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your Fave Boutique Builder
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:23:15 AM »
LsL Instruments for being personal friends, Dr Scientist for awesome customer service. Strymon too.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 01:33:40 AM »
Barber Electronics and Strymon.  :-)

For the price of Barber Electronics, their quality and sound are top notch. I do feel that they should be priced higher than that for the quality they bring, but thank goodness they are priced lower than most boutique pedals.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:49:05 AM by cayle »

Offline IncX

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
i really like brian of wampler pedals ... when i read his posts and stuff, he seems to be a really helpful guy. i currently have had 2 pedals from him, one good, one not so good lol i was thinking of getting a dirt pedal from wampler, but for some reason, the first experience i had made me very wary in buying wampler stuff unseen.

i noticed that i like lovepedal dirt pedals  ... i also have had 2, and i was blown away by both pedals. im not a big fan of sean though (he kinda had something like a shredhead issue a few years back) ... but his pedals, damn, i am very willing to buy them blindly.

next up is ed of toneczar ... i am not sure with him, i only have had one pedal from him, and he seems to be the opposite of brian's "i plug pedals into generic amps cause thats what most guitar players own anyway" ... his pedals are waaaayyy expensive, although i have to say, i love the designs pretty much. i dont think i'd be buying more of ed's pedals based on my current economic status. i'd love to, but i just cant justify the cost.

strymon! man, i think they are geeks and i love them! great attitude, especially when it comes to pushing the boundaries of modulation pedals. while they are very expensive, i think they are justified. i just wish they were power supply friendly, cause i wont mind having 4 strymon pedals on my board.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:41:18 AM by IncX »

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »
No-brainer for me: Suhr. They have it all: killer guitars, awesome amps, great pedals, top-notch cusomer support.

More of my favorite boutique brands: Catalinbread (great products, reasonable prices), Empress Effects (innovative products; only the Multidrive sounded bad for me), Stonebridge/Furch (killer acoustic guitars - can even beat some $7-8k acoustics), Analogman (consistently great sounding mods and products; he's better than Keeley in my opinion), Morgan Amps (great amps, good price point), Friedman Amplification (nailed the Brown Sound, what can I say?), Mojave Amplification (the Peacemaker is another Brown Sound amp), Fuchs (love their amps) and Lovepedal (Sean made my all-time favorite OD pedal but he seems to be a douche).
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline thkh

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:54:56 AM »
Analog man ( though I don't have one ).

i just wish they were power supply friendly.

^Totally agree on this one. I like Strymon. I'm planning to build a board with 3 of them but it would look yucky. LOL

Barber Electronics.
i lurve delay pedals

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »
Fender CS. Sorry but they are guitar pusher junkie status to me with their amps and all.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:02:21 AM »
...Lovepedal (Sean made my all-time favorite OD pedal but he seems to be a douche).
That's probably because he tried so hard the keep "his" circuits secret only to have some very determined people hack it to bits and discover what it really is. In contrast, Wampler is very open about his circuits, their origins etc.

BTT: I dig Wampler & Barber

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:22 AM »
Gusto ko ngayon Catalinbread, Malekko at Analogman. I have two pedals from each builders. Dahil topnotch and build quality nila at cool yung mga concepts nila sa pedals nila.  :wave:
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
i really like brian of wampler pedals ... when i read his posts and stuff, he seems to be a really helpful guy. i currently have had 2 pedals from him, one good, one not so good lol i was thinking of getting a dirt pedal from wampler, but for some reason, the first experience i had made me very wary in buying wampler stuff unseen.

+1 for Wampler. Jason Wilding seems like a pretty cool dude too.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »
Xotic and Barber for me.

Xotic pedals seem to stay longer on my board. I like the feel of the pots they use as well as the nice and responsive EQ.

If ever I'd build a boutique-dirt-setup-on-a-tight-budget, I'd definitely fill it up with Barber stuff. I still prefer the old ones with full size pots, though.

Offline IncX

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »
i'd also like to add dave of Foxrox. i dont know why he isn't very popular as of late... he seems to belong to the "old school" of boutique building (ala Analogman Mike - who btw is awesome too). i tried 2 of his pedals, and eventhough i sold (and regretted doing it) the octron ... man, it was pretty awesome!

i noticed his builds focus on "purity" of tone ... and the coolest thing is, his stuff sounds school even outside a tube amp! ... and oh, he is quite expensive - just like analogman, and perhaps the reason why he isn't as popular is because of the price point he works in, and that the new guys keep on pumping out new stuff - eventhough they are just a re-badged vesion of the old stuff.

Offline magtataho7

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Barber Electronics and Strymon.  :-)

For the price of Barber Electronics, their quality and sound are top notch. I do feel that they should be priced higher than that for the quality they bring, but thank goodness they are priced lower than most boutique pedals.

Any models you have tried? Curious kasi ako sa burn unit
BLAH

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
Any models you have tried? Curious kasi ako sa burn unit

Direct Drive, Direct Drive SS, Dirty Bomb, Half Gainer and LTD v2 palang.  :-) I haven't come across a Burn Unit yet, try to ask those who have owned the Small Fry. Medyo similar naman yung SF sa BU.

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
no.. particular boutique pedal manufacturer that i prefer..they are both good and unique in their own way though.. i just buy whichever pedal that sounded really more unique and versatile through my ears though  :)
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
medyo OT share lang

my first email to Mr. Tanabe was an Inquiry. i asked him some questions about this pedal Zenkudo, etc. after a few minutes he replied and told me Im in the waiting list :-o. 2nd email i asked which one is better dumkudo or zenkudo. I also told him i like Robben ford, matt scofield, JB, etc. He told me i should get Dumkudo, RF uses it. the next email he sent me a picture of dumkudo and my name printed at the bottom of the pedal :-o :-o he is waiting for my payment.i was like hindi pa ako nakapagdecide kung kukuha ba ako talaga at hindi ko rin alam kung Z or D yun kukunin ko then eto, gawa na yun pedal Nyak!  good thing mahilig ako sa pedal, so binili ko na rin out of curiosity. glad i did :mrgreen:

looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline IncX

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 02:16:51 AM »
medyo OT share lang

my first email to Mr. Tanabe was an Inquiry. i asked him some questions about this pedal Zenkudo, etc. after a few minutes he replied and told me Im in the waiting list :-o. 2nd email i asked which one is better dumkudo or zenkudo. I also told him i like Robben ford, matt scofield, JB, etc. He told me i should get Dumkudo, RF uses it. the next email he sent me a picture of dumkudo and my name printed at the bottom of the pedal :-o :-o he is waiting for my payment.i was like hindi pa ako nakapagdecide kung kukuha ba ako talaga at hindi ko rin alam kung Z or D yun kukunin ko then eto, gawa na yun pedal Nyak!  good thing mahilig ako sa pedal, so binili ko na rin out of curiosity. glad i did :mrgreen:

lol

is it good though?

cause i dont know .... i think his business style is unethical.

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
lol

is it good though?

cause i dont know .... i think his business style is unethical.

i agree, maybe i wasn't clear enough. dapat yata may nakalagay "this is just an inquiry, i will not order yet " lol. if you look at the first page of his site its more about paypal and ordering not much info about pedals. http://www.tanabe.tv/top/kudou/index-e.html  but then i dislike builders who always  "toot their horn" and not live up to what they do.

pedal is great for Dumble sounds. very musical sabi nga nun kaibigan natin parang napupunit na speaker ang tunog. bili ka na rin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:43:29 PM by Rmansh »
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
medyo OT share lang

:lol:  great marketing strategy, nagtatanong ka palang inaabot na sayo  :-D
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Brian Wampler, MI, Catalinbread and Barber.  :)
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
medyo OT share lang

:lol:

Parang "Zesto Gang" lang and dating  :eek:

Napatingin ka pa lang sa naglalako tinusok na kaagad ang straw at pilit inaabot sa iyo  :-\
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
Malekko. I have 2 B:Assmasters and a 616 MKII. I want the 2 other variants of the 616 and the Spring Chicken. That's how much I like the brand. I don't know if you consider Aguilar Amplification as boutique but I like their cabs. I also want an amp from them, the AG500 maybe.
Surf's Up!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »
Zachary Vex din pala is quite interesting to me.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline pie-key

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
Though i havent own their builds i like them:
WALRUS AUDIO
EMERSON CUSTOM GUITAR PEDALS
JHS
FULLTONE

and some few other indipendent boutique pedal makers.
References:
BossingBoss/Spudmusic/Xelly/Poundcake/Fonzy/Joel_marcelo/Micsis/Voidman/Free2rock/
'57 Strat/DIY OD/Strymon TL/Eventide MF/Hardwire SN/TCE Polytune Mini/Princeton Chorus

Offline manilacoke3

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 12:20:57 AM »
Emma Electronics for me. For diving in to the unusual, being creative rather than going with trends.
1993 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
1996 Squier Pro Tone Series Fat Strat MIK
2011 Epiphone '59 ES-335 Limited Ed. CS