hulika

Author Topic: iPad/iPhone recording setup  (Read 7186 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
iPad/iPhone recording setup
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »
Guys, pahingi naman advice ano magandang recording setup using iPad/iPhone platform. My main use is for simple recording of guitar and voice (usually live but eventually gusto ko rin mag multitrack sa Garageband, etc). Di naman for commercial release, for Youtube channel lang.

Option 1: Buy a dedicated iPad external mic like the Apogee MiC or a USB mic like this Samson Meteor Mic and use an Apple camera connection adapter. Plug and play sila and ok naman daw audio quality. Portable din so pwede for field or live gig recordings. However, I will not be able to use the various mics I aready have and be flexible with dual micing or dedicated mic for guitar and vox, etc. I'm also worried that eventually ma-obsolete kung magupgrade ka ng iPad kasi nagpalit na ng pin connectors ang Apple.

Option 2: Buy a USB mixer interface like this Alesis na pwede for iPad/iPhone with Apple USB adaptor. I already have several mics (including condenser mics) so magagamit ko existing gear ko with this option. Plus, of course, I can always record to PC with this option.

In terms of cost, halos parehas lang yung affordable offerings for both options. Mas mahal lang yung Apogee MiC $200 but it seem to be of higher quality in make and output, as well as being more plug and play.

What do you guys think?

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Re: iPad/iPhone recording setup
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »
I use Studiotrack for iPad.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
Mahal nga yung apogee mic.. Sakin okay na yung Irig mic, kaso di ko alam san officialy nabibili, meron sa sulit kaso nakakatakot baka fake( dahil may fake irigs eh)

Tapis sa daw, may mga free daws naman sa itunes, vocalive is also good..
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »
Get the Zoom H1.  Its a portable field recorder and an audio interface.  It has line inputs in which you could connect your existing mixer.

Fully compatible with the Ipad.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2806661?start=0&tstart=0

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
I use Studiotrack for iPad.

Thanks. Garageband projects can be imported into iMovie. Pwede ba sa Studiotrack yun?

Mahal nga yung apogee mic.. Sakin okay na yung Irig mic, kaso di ko alam san officialy nabibili, meron sa sulit kaso nakakatakot baka fake( dahil may fake irigs eh)

Di maganda reviews nung iRig mic. Sirain daw. Sayang nga e.

Get the Zoom H1.  Its a portable field recorder and an audio interface.  It has line inputs in which you could connect your existing mixer.

Fully compatible with the Ipad.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2806661?start=0&tstart=0

Problema sa Apple, when they update the iOS sometimes non-Apple apps and hardware will not work. :-(

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:45:36 AM »
You can try the Alesis IO DOCK

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Samson G-Track

As the world's first USB condenser microphone with a built-in audio interface and mixer, G-Track allows for simultaneous stereo input and gain control of vocals and guitar, bass, or keyboard while also providing switchable stereo, mono, and computer monitoring through an on board headphone output.

G-Track allows you to record vocals like a standard USB mic, or two mono instruments through the line/instrument input or a mix of one mono instrument and vocal. Now singer/songwriters can directly record vocals and instruments quickly and easily with one device, making G-Track a must have for any songwriter's home studio. And its ease of use and portability allows you to take it anywhere inspiration may strike you.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
Lexicon audio interface

A staple in recording studios for decades, Lexicon brings its world-renowned audio quality to computer-based recording with its line of input/output interfaces.

Peavey PV6 USB mixer

The PV® 6 compact Peavey mixer offers durable construction and excellent sound quality at an unbelievably low price. Made of metal, not plastic, the PV 6 is built tough and designed for either live sound or recording. Its reference quality mic pre-amps are super quiet with less than 0.0007% of total harmonic distortion. Each of the four channels includes XLR and 1/4" inputs, phantom power, EQ and effects send. The master section offers assignable tape input and a master contour EQ which simultaneously cuts mids while slightly boosting the bass and treble in the overall mix. Outputs include L & R for main and control room, effects send and headphones.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline iankevinangeles

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »
Hi sir, I've recently purchased a simple interface like iRig but the brand and model is Cherub 2gbI. I bought it for P700. It works great, I can directly plug-in my guitar into that and that into my Ipad Mini. Works like a charm and cheap too! And then I got tired of the crappy quality of the built-in mic of the Ipad Mini so I bought a Samson GO mic. Very Cheap too, unlike the Apogee MiC which I thought to be overpriced. I also bought a generic ipad mini camera connector for just P300. The entire rig works great and I'm so happy with the set-up but then the bug bit me. The original plan was to just have some fun recording stuff with my Ipad Mini, but now I'm already planning to upgrade my Rig. I've just installed Avid PRO tools and Mixcraft6 on my PC, recorded some virtual drums, then later I'm going to buy an audio interface to complete the simple set-up. :)

By the way, I'm thinking about selling the entire portable rig that will work with your Ipad. So if you're interested, you can pm me for details. :)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
Just a quick plug...

Peavey AmpKit LiNK HD digital guitar interface for Mac and all newer iOS devices including iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (4th and 5th generation).

Read more >> http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/617/20121901.cfm

Watch video >>

Watch video >>

Thank You!

:wink:

Offline iankevinangeles

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »
Just a quick plug...

Peavey AmpKit LiNK HD digital guitar interface for Mac and all newer iOS devices including iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (4th and 5th generation).

Read more >> http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/617/20121901.cfm

Watch video >>

Watch video >>

Thank You!

:wink:

Magkano pala ganyan boss?

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
Wala pang 5k yan.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
Update ko lang kayo: 

I got an ART Dual Pre usb mixer interface and am happy (for now). I'm sure it's not the best pre out there but it does the job and I'm not expert enough to know what it's faults are (I have basic needs pa lang). With a camera connection kit, it also works on the iPad. It's also very portable as it can be bus powered even with phantom power engaged! I've tested on PC (Reaper) and iPad Garageband, Camera app, and Youtube Capture app. Everything works.

I decided a USB mic was not the best option since I will have limited flexibility in terms of sounds, positioning, micing techniques, etc...

I think this will do... until it doesn't. ;-)

Offline Garner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 05:49:24 AM »
Guys may alam ba kayo pede interface for ipad para magamit yung mga mic na xlr cable ang connection? Tia!  :-D 

I am planning to use ipad for recording acoustic covers kasi. Kagaya ni Sir deltaslim, pang Youtube lang :-D Simple setup lang sana, acoustic guitar + vocals tapos minsan may piano. Yung iRig gusto ko una itry, kaso hindi ko sigurado kung pano gagamitin mic (Shure SM57) or interface na pede gamitin or type of connections na dapat isetup - sorry first time! Hehe Salamat sa advice mga kapatid :-D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:59:42 AM by Garner »
By All Odds on facebook!
Hello Brooklyn on facebook!

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
Guys may alam ba kayo pede interface for ipad para magamit yung mga mic na xlr cable ang connection? Tia!  :-D 

I am planning to use ipad for recording acoustic covers kasi. Kagaya ni Sir deltaslim, pang Youtube lang :-D Simple setup lang sana, acoustic guitar + vocals tapos minsan may piano. Yung iRig gusto ko una itry, kaso hindi ko sigurado kung pano gagamitin mic (Shure SM57) or interface na pede gamitin or type of connections na dapat isetup - sorry first time! Hehe Salamat sa advice mga kapatid :-D

Check the post above you by deltaslim.  Art Dual Pre Usb.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

I am planning to use ipad for recording acoustic covers kasi. Kagaya ni Sir deltaslim, pang Youtube lang :-D Simple setup lang sana, acoustic guitar + vocals tapos minsan may piano.

Samson Q2U USB/XLR Microphone with HP20 Headphones

http://www.audiophile.ph/index.php/contact  :wink:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
If you really want to get a good sound out of your vocals and/or guitar, whether using iPad or PC, I would really suggest AGAINST usb mics. Getting the best usb mixer interface and condenser mics you can afford will make things better sounding, fun, and cheaper in the long run. I read this before deciding: http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/should-i-buy-usb-microphone-346171/

I might still get a usb mic for quick and dirty video recordings of live performance. But if and when I want good sound, I will use xlr mics and interface.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
just to be clear though, if you do the occasional podcast, usb mics are easier to set up. the last sentence of the post is the most crucial, however... choose a usb mic that has internal monitoring - THAT should be the most important consideration when choosing a usb mic.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »
just to be clear though, if you do the occasional podcast, usb mics are easier to set up. the last sentence of the post is the most crucial, however... choose a usb mic that has internal monitoring - THAT should be the most important consideration when choosing a usb mic.

hi KitC - no doubt, usb mics are easy and quick to set up. if someone was just looking to do pocasts or voice over, usb mic is really all they will need. but for music, like in my case, i wouldn't even consider it practical.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 06:44:26 PM »
Again, true to your purpose, Joric. If your present arrangement suits your needs, why change? I've been using the same interface now for more than a decade and I'm completely happy with it. If the machine ain't broke...

I was listening to some Blue usb mics (in youtube, unfortunately) but I was pleasantly surprised by how they sounded - even through youtube's sometimes horrendous conversion. I know the Blue Ball and Snowball got good marks in Sound on Sound. It depends on the make somehow, but it also depends on the interface from mic to the computer. What if your interface was also usb? If we were to go deeper, you will find that the interface's A/D and D/A components to be very important to a good sound. Then there's the clock, and the cables... I could go on and on.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline iankevinangeles

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
The Samson Go mic's good. It has direct monitoring, 3 settings, small and cheap. :) I suggest you buy that if you really want a USB mic. :)

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
The Samson Go mic's good. It has direct monitoring, 3 settings, small and cheap. :) I suggest you buy that if you really want a USB mic. :)

Meron ako niyan! Ang problema kung wala ka namang vocal booth or studio.. Pick up niya lahat ng sound kahit yung mga sasakyan sa labas.. Hahaha

Pero yun nga ang pinakaportable at sobrang okay naman para sakin ang quality, yun lang condenser mic ko eh.. :-D
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 02:22:09 AM »
Meron ako niyan! Ang problema kung wala ka namang vocal booth or studio.. Pick up niya lahat ng sound kahit yung mga sasakyan sa labas.. Hahaha

Kaya ko nasabi sa earlier post ko na para sa akin di practical ang usb mic for recording music. Di nya kaya approach yung flexibility and tone if you use xlr mic w/ boom stand. 
- You can easily position it wherever it sounds best while playing comfortably. Sa usb mic madalas ikaw pa ang kailang pumosisyon sa mic.
- If you want to increase the signal to noise ratio, you have to get up close to the mic.  If you have to crank up the gain on your mic para lang marinig, tataas din ang noise (ie, anything that you don't want to hear/record).

Kung ideal ang room at walang ibang noise, ok din naman siguro ang usb mic for capturing multiple sources (eg, voice + guitar) or kung madali makakuha ng magandang position.

Just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:45:38 AM by deltaslim »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:42 AM »
FYI for those who might look into the same interface...

I'm noticing some noise introduced when i push past 4 o'clock on the gain of the ART Dual Pre usb interface. Will investigate or ask around what's up but do let me know if you know anything. If it's the fault of the interface, I can still return it.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
The ART Pre has never been known for being quiet, my former StudioV3 notwithstanding. Have you compared between using usb power and the adapter?