hulika

Author Topic: Drum Loop Making Need Help  (Read 3870 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Drum Loop Making Need Help
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »
btw flamming might need a higher resolution than 16th notes, try 32nd or higher

Flams are usually several milliseconds apart from each other; that means note values in the order of 1/64th, 1/128th or even 1/256th   :-o . I often draw in a flam without a grid reference and move the note manually until it sounds right. Also, the velocities between the 2 hits aren't the same, always vary them.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
actually, using flams with different velocity levels work best in most cases because you'd want to trigger two different samples for the two different hits (two different samples of the same drum of course). if you have two loud samples of the same snare drum, you can actually use both for the flam, coz using two loud samples for a flam also has a sound of its own. in general i use 1/128 or 1/64triplet for flams.

the two commonly used flams are (1) one in which the first hit is softer than the second one -- i hear this kind from peter erskine a lot, and (2) one in which both hits are generally of the same dynamic level -- a favorite for rockers.

if you want your drum loop to sound as 'real' as possible, you wouldn't want to trigger the same sample consecutively. it's what's termed as the 'machine-gun effect'. nothing wrong with it, especially if you want your drums to sound like the music of the 80's.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
Marvin, I think that's the word "machine-gun effect".

This is same thing when you create a sample for shaker. You don't want your sample sounds like "chee-chee-chee" do you? but instead you want "chee-kee-chee-kee-chee..." However I have luck in shakers which is sounds real (for me  :-)).

This machine-gun effect is also true in congga or bonggo.
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink: